SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What do we think of the HK P30L?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do we think of the HK P30L? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
This is humor, but I agree with parts of it. The last HK I had and liked was an HK4.

http://monsterhunternation.com...uck-and-we-hate-you/

Posts: 17147 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
It’s a solid pistol. V3 triggers leave a lot to be desired but thankfully Robert Burke can fix that. I’d go with the regular P30 though so you can carry it. It carries real nice. Can’t go wrong with a HK P series.

Can someone supply Robert Burke'scontact info?
Thanks for the help.

Posts: 826 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of whododat
posted Hide Post
https://www.thesigarmorer.com/

Because son, it is what you are supposed to do.

Posts: 1853 | Location: Escaped to TN | Registered: October 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by whododat:
https://www.thesigarmorer.com/

Thank you!

Posts: 826 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great Pistol, Great Craftmanship, So So Trigger.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

Posts: 883 | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
IMO ammo problems with the P30L are way overblown and mostly a myth and I can't remember reading about a single instance in quite a while now.

How common this problem was when the gun was first brought to market I don't know, but I do recall it talked about here on the forum at length. One of the fellows over at West Coast Armory echoed the issue when he told me about the stoppages that customers were experiencing with the shiny new P30Ls that they bought from WCA.

An added note: I found it ironic that a customer I recently sold a VP9 to came back a couple of days ago and reported that his gun was choking on 115gr 9mm. His gun is a recent build with the heavy recoil spring. He switched to 124gr and reports that the gun now runs fine.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I find that is just an HK 9mm thing

I Break any HK 9mm in by giving a good clean and lube and running a box or three of hotter and or heavier ammo. From then on they will run anything.

Conversely working the slide and dryfiring a bunch and leaving the slide locked open for a couple days seems to do the same thing.

The point is many 9mm HKs I have seen will choke brand new with low powered 115 grain stuff until they break in a bit. I also heard the P30L needed a wee bit more break in but I have no direct experience with the L model.

My P30 has never missed a beat but I just automatically did my routine above with it not out of specific issue just because that is what I do with New HK 9mms.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7686 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our HK rep. quoted October delivery on some P30’s I recently ordered for the shop. That was the standard gun, however; not the “L”.

"Shoot first, shoot fast, shoot straight, shoot last." -- attribution unknown (to me)

Posts: 269 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
OP
Only buy a HK pistol if you are comfortable buying more of them.

I have wanted to add a P30LS model to my stable for a long time.

long slide with safeties for me please!

HK Ag

Posts: 3505 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
re:ammo Hk pistols, specifically the P30L and the new vp9's with the silver recoil spring will need strong 124gr ammo for a couple hundred rounds. After that they should be good to shoot anything. I have 4 p30's, two are "L"s and 2 vp9's, one with the old spring and one with the new. A few stovepipes with 115gr initially now they all shoot competition "soft" loads. The triggers are not great but in my experience practice with any gun will make you a better shooter than just the trigger.

p229Extreme/P226Tac-Ops/P226 Extreme/P226 SAO) P226 X-5 Blue Moon/P226 X-5 Black and White

Posts: 750 | Registered: March 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HK Ag:
OP
Only buy a HK pistol if you are comfortable buying more of them.

I have wanted to add a P30LS model to my stable for a long time.

long slide with safeties for me please!

HK Ag

They are great pistols and I would think the one with a safety could be grabbed for a pretty great price these days. Most people don't want the safety.

p229Extreme/P226Tac-Ops/P226 Extreme/P226 SAO) P226 X-5 Blue Moon/P226 X-5 Black and White

Posts: 750 | Registered: March 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, we'll see what I think of the P30L, as I found ONE, and only ONE, in Oregon. Grabbed a brand new, non-safety P30L in 9mm with the V3 trigger and the LE package at a store about three hours from my home. Now I need to figure out if I'm going to have it shipped or just make a road trip. Smile

Thanks to all for the help. I'll post back once I get my hands on it and take a range trip.

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
From what time I have on the P30, and what little time I have on the P30L, I like the P30 over the P30L. It is just a nuance in the recoil pattern that I notice at speed.

Some things that I observe about both-

Magazines- Each time the topic about P30/VP9 magazines comes up and I make the comment about how expensive and hit and miss the supply chain is, someone always says "Well, XYZ has them for $29". Which may be true, but often you look at that $29 price is on an out of stock item. Magazines are the single thing that I hate about HK products. It was the best thing in the world when they adopted the Walther PPQ to take P30 mags and started calling it the VP9. It was the worst thing in the world when they took the Walther PPQ and adopted it to take the P30 magazine. It seems as if they have not increased the supply chain much, and magazines are hit and miss. When they are hit and miss when times are good, they are unobtainable when times aren't all that good.

The paddle magazine release. It is another problem with the platform. They almost would have been better off bringing out the heel magazine release, as opposed to the paddle. I mean, it goes against every manual of arms in the US with a magazine button. It makes it damn hard to go back and forth. However, it is a training issue, and if you are trained it is an issue that you can work around. If you are untrained, then you probably will find yourself clawing at the side of the gun when you need to get that magazine out the most.

Parts- See magazines.

Parts part 2- HK is pretty notorious for making wholesale internal parts changes and quietly going about their day. There have been 8 different "upgrades" on the HK416. Some are compatible with older guns, some of the changes aren't. The USP platform shares none of the original internal parts that the gun was introduced with. They have upgraded, upgraded, and upgraded. Quietly, and discreetly, of course. When I hear people complain about being this or that companies beta testers, at least their upgrades you hear about, with HK you hear nothing about upgrades.

Trigger- You'll find the DA trigger sucks balls most of the time out of the box. They are sometimes heavy, gritty, and even at extremes almost unmanageable. Some guns are quite good, but there is no rhyme or reason it seems. The SA trigger is shootable out of the box. People talk about how long the reset is, but I have bang out .15-.17 splits all day long with the gun.

Ridge on the bottom of the trigger guard- Yeah, most people find that it needs to go or it burns a blister on your trigger finger.

With that out of the way as it seems that I am a negative nelly about the pistol....I am a huge fan of the P30 platform. It is a gun that I shoot as close to "instinctively" (if there is such a thing) as any other pistol out there. You hear the whiners complain about how hard the DA shot is to learn, how much it is a disadvantage, blah, blah, blah....It is a gun that I can blast out 1 second one shot draws from concealment on a six inch steel plate at 7 yards consistently. And if I want to put one on top of the other after that first round, I can stack bullets at a pace of four shots per second. The magazine well is pretty generous and lends itself to being stuffed fairly quickly. I have yet to see a P30 or P30L that didn't zero at 25 yards out of the box with every major manufacturers sights with ease. No Wheel-of-Fortune-which-sights-did-we-stick-on-this-pistol type stuff. The gun zero's in nicely.

I'm a big, big, fan.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37118 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I have 13 HK's and most are DA/SA. P30s and P30LS both V3.
I would say the P30's are the worst of the DA/SA versus the HK45 and the USP series.
Love all my HK's, and with dry firing and actual rounds down the pipe, the P30's have gotten much better.
But IMO, there is nothing like a LEM...or the squeeze cocking P7's

Posts: 151 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting. Thanks.

jljones, what is it about the P30's recoil pattern that causes you to prefer it over the P30L?

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my opinion, HK hit it out of the park with the VP9 and P30 series. I like the grip/panel options on those pistols more so than any other pistol out there. I wish other manufacturers would take note.

Posts: 6894 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nero
posted Hide Post
I have a HK P30S V3 and a HK USP Expert. Both are very well-made and stone-cold reliable. Hard to go wrong buying an HK.

nero

Posts: 4639 | Location: Tampa Bay Area | Registered: August 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dehughes:
jljones, what is it about the P30's recoil pattern that causes you to prefer it over the P30L?

Slide mass is likely the cause. The P30 tracks a little quicker than the L

www.opspectraining.com

Posts: 37118 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I what you did there.

Posts: 4592 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CD228:
I what you did there.

On occasion I do stuff like that, and people that don't get it point it out as if it was a major faux pas.

www.opspectraining.com