SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Remington R51 Why would I want one?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington R51 Why would I want one? Login/Join 
Picture of Beanhead
posted
Picked up a Sig P322 at the pawn shop and window shopped while they did the paperwork. There was a Remington R51 for about $265.

When these came out, I thought that's a pretty cool modern spin to an older retro pistol. Then all the issues were reported and I lost interest.

My question is this. Does anyone still own one? If so, what's your experience on their function? Any tip as to what I should look for so I don't get a glorified paperweight.

I need another pistol like I need a hole in the head. But you don't see these around much.

Posts: 1352 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
It had been a long time since I had seen somebody put that much show in shit show. Smile

In all seriousness I was a little bummed at how that gun turned out. I loved it aesthetically and would have probably bought one just because I dug the whole retro vibe. As it stands, however, I wouldn’t buy one with your money. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
There was a Remington R51 for about $265.

I'd only take on one if the shop selling it offered a $266 rebate. I'd want at least a dollar for my trouble.

It's a cool-looking pistol that Remington had no legitimate reason to send into actual production and then foist onto an unsuspecting marketplace when they did. They fooled almost everyone at SHOT, then thought they could trick the public...except unlike SHOT they couldn't cherry-pick and massage the guns comimg off the production line like they apparently did for the demonstrators at the show.

-MG

Posts: 1993 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

Posts: 107599 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
I'd rather have the R pus. Lol.

Q

Posts: 26390 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think everything left after the bankruptcy was buried next to Jimmy Hoffa and all of the unsold ET Atari cartridges.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had to get one when they came out, my first pistol was a Model 51 so i naturally gravitated to the new, WOW!! it was a piece of garbage, jammed like a jar of Smuckers, even after going back for warrantee work it was junk, only good thing was the GS gave me 100% trade in value on a .45

Posts: 95 | Registered: October 21, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stick with Sig and find an used P232 and you will be a much happier camper. You will pay more, but you will get something you actually enjoy.

Posts: 266 | Registered: September 12, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I see either an R51, or the behemoth R9, in a a local shop, I lose just a little respect for the vendor. Granted, some just don't 'know' about guns.
I just have to hope they educate the prospect, "There's a REASON this is so cheap".

Posts: 383 | Location: Phoenix Aridzona | Registered: March 06, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
But you don't see these around much.

Like how you never see a LeCar at a dealer lot?

Wink

A good lesson in the concept that scarcity doesn’t always mean valuable.

Posts: 10753 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw one at the store that had a very good trigger pull and was a convenient size. Just too much bad press for me, though.

A friend bought one and it did OK, except when he tried to shoot some maximum OAL ammo. But he saw a lot of those faults. That FBI badge got him in to discuss them with Remington management, too.

Posts: 3287 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shoot gun,
get check
Picture of Scoobaru
posted Hide Post
Any firearm that has a green rubbery thing for an extractor spring is a no go for me, no matter how futuristic or retro it may be. You can see it in some of the pictures here: https://www.preciseshooter.com/blog/R51.aspx

Posts: 618 | Location: The pointy part of Nevada | Registered: March 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

Posts: 107599 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post