SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    In the age of the micro 9mm, who is still carrying a 1911 regularly?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

In the age of the micro 9mm, who is still carrying a 1911 regularly? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Once I get a holster for it, my EDC will be a Staccato C2 with a TLR7A and an RMR. Stoked to start carrying it and would get a Staccato P as a duty gun tomorrow if they told me I could carry it.

May our caskets be made of hundred-year oak, and may we plant those trees tomorrow.

Posts: 814 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: January 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Glad you found something you are excited about!

Good for you!!

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
The sleek little Ed Brown EVO-KC9-LW (still need to swap in a non-ambi safety):

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
This is a good looking gun. And I'm sure it's a good shooter. But it brings up obvious issues. The main two are size and price.

This is obviously a holster gun, if it's your primary carry do you want to commit that for EDC. This thread is about 1911s in the era of the micor-9. Since this forum is about SIG, the micro 9s from that brand are the P365 and the 938 (which is sort of in the 1911 realm.) Either is going to be significantly easier to carry than the EB (pocketable if you want to go that route), but likely won't shoot quite as well. But this goes back the gun you're carrying being vastly more useful than the gun in the safe. And, of course, even being smaller, the P365 has slightly better capacity.

And then, of course, there's price. You can get several standard production guns for the price of this gun.

quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
The sleek little Ed Brown EVO-KC9-LW (still need to swap in a non-ambi safety):

<snipped picture. Don't need the same pic right under the quoted post>

132753381.jpg[/IMG]

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
It's certainly bigger than a pocket 9. I guess you could stick it in a cargo pants pocket, but I can't see myself ever carrying it without a holster.

It's also certainly more expensive than the vast majority of handguns (although the EVO line is less expensive than Ed Brown's other product lines, so it might not be quite as bad as you'd expect).

The OP said:

quote:
I ask because I’ve had a hankering for a lightweight commander lately. Also trying to decide if I want it in 45 or 9mm.

I was responding as someone who decided on a 9mm lightweight almost-commander as my preferred primary carry pistol over something smaller and pocketable.

To me, it's a good balance between comfort/concealability (because of weight, thinness, and the bobtail) and shootability (because I shoot 1911s well, it has a full-size grip and a reasonable sight radius, and recoil is minimal with 9mm).

I'm not a carry everywhere, every second person. For someone who is, a lightweight commander is big enough there are certainly some compromises with dress and comfort.

Everybody has a different idea of where that optimal balance is. For now, I think this is mine.

I guess the long and short of it is that I wouldn't mind also having a pocket 9 available for times when I'd rather not carry a 1911, but most of the time, I'd be happy carrying a lightweight commander.

Also, regarding capacity, in 9mm, there are 10 round 1911 magazines that aren't flush-fit, but aren't any longer than any of the common .45 8-round extended-baseplate mags. A double stack of the same size will definitely hold more, but the P365 doesn't have a big capacity advantage.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
^
Yeah, that gun would certainly qualify if the OP has deep pockets.

posted Hide Post
I recently purchased a Kimber Ultra Carry in 45acp. I just got done breaking it in. I will be carrying it in a De Santos Cozy partner.

I also have a Colt LW Commander in 45acp. The platform is great. Full sized grip with the 4.25 inch barrel (or 4 inch if Kimber).

1911's in 9mm are very comfortable shooters. You however do not gain much in magazine capability.

Good Luck

Lock N Load

Michael
USMC Ret

Posts: 1450 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
If I was looking at one of these, and was willing to spend big money, I'd have to look at the Wilson EDC X9. More of a 2011, in that it has a double stack magazine.

posted Hide Post
Replaced, most of the time, my DW 1911 CCO .45 ACP in Milt Sparks Axiom and Nexus holsters with a Sig P365 in a Tulster IWB kydex. Saving about twelve ounces, the Sig has proven fully reliable, eleven rounds Gold Dot 124gr +P. The 1911 is my bedside and house pistol that I do carry every so often.

Posts: 1312 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: November 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
^
Yeah, that gun would certainly qualify if the OP has deep pockets.

I see what you did there.

Very clever.

Posts: 364 | Location: Mansfield, TX | Registered: April 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
If I was looking at one of these, and was willing to spend big money, I'd have to look at the Wilson EDC X9. More of a 2011, in that it has a double stack magazine.

There's a similar pistol coming from Dan Wesson, the DWX Compact - it's basically a 4" barrel 1911 with CZ barrel lockup and a CZ 75 compact grip and magazine, available with and without a rail. Like the Wilson EDC X9, no grip safety. They're also making a full-size version.

Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I heard about that a while ago, but didn't follow it. It hasn't been released yet?

I said this back when the EDC X9 was released. Someone needs to make a non-custom mass produced clone of it, at around $1K. This wouldn't be that difficult for someone like Smith, SIG, Ruger, etc, all of whom make 1911s.

quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
quote:

There's a similar pistol coming from Dan Wesson, the DWX Compact - it's basically a 4" barrel 1911 with CZ barrel lockup and a CZ 75 compact grip and magazine, available with and without a rail. Like the Wilson EDC X9, no grip safety. They're also making a full-size version.

<snipped picture>

Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
They were supposed to be available a while ago, but I have been trying to track some down to buy (both a compact and a full size), and as far as I can tell they haven't gotten to any retail gun shop anywhere yet.

Dan Wesson sits at kind of a funny spot in between the mass produced factory guns and the high end stuff. All the DWX variants are listed with a $1799 MSRP. If they end up actually making them in significant quantities, I wouldn't be surprised to see them eventually selling a good bit below that.

Even with the current run on gun stuff, there are Dan Wesson 1911s on GunBroker for less than MSRP.

posted Hide Post
I carry a full size sig 1911 Nigtmare and have for a few years now. having the bob tailed grip makes it easy to conceal.

Posts: 385 | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Speling Champ
posted Hide Post
Colt Lightweight Commander on those very rare occasions I carry a 1911

Posts: 1604 | Location: Utah | Registered: July 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep...not every day, but for trips to the city, it's my first choice. Light, big caliber, superb sights and a trigger & accuracy that rival my Gold Cup Series 70...that's it below...a Sig 1911 RCS. Best regards, Rod

5th Spl Forces, Air Force Bird Dog FAC, lll Corps RVN 69-70.... We enjoy the Bill of Rights by the sacrifices of our veterans;
Politicians, Preachers, Educators, Journalists and Community Organizers are beneficiaries, not defenders of our freedoms.

Posts: 728 | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post