SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sig M-18 missing at Camp LeJeune
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig M-18 missing at Camp LeJeune Login/Join 
posted
https://taskandpurpose.com/new...issing-camp-lejeune/

Another gun has gone missing at Camp Lejeune

The M18 pistol along with two magazines were reported missing on Thursday, Jan. 21.

BY NICHOLAS SLAYTON | PUBLISHED JAN 21, 2023 6:07 PM

A Marine Corps battalion has lost track of one of its pistols. The 2nd Marine Division’s 3rd Battalion, 6th Marines confirmed that a Sig Sauer M18 handgun as well as two magazines for it are missing at Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune, North Carolina. It’s the second time in the last five years that a firearm has vanished from 3rd Battalion, 6th Marines.

Naval Criminal Investigative Services is looking into the matter. Military Times first reported on the news, following a post on the popular social media account Terminal Lance. The post suggested more than one pistol was lost, but a spokesperson for 2nd Infantry Division told Military Times it was only one. The gun was reported missing on Thursday, Jan. 19.

It’s the second time in recent years a weapon has gone missing with 3rd Battalion, 6th Marines. In December 2019, two rifles assigned to the battalion went missing at a Camp Lejeune training site. NCIS and the unit began searching for the guns, while their disappearance prompted 3rd Battalion, 6th Marines to become the source of several jokes inside the Marine community (so much so that the Terminal Lance post on the missing M18 noted the unit lost stuff “again”).

In March of 2020 the commander and sergeant major of the battalion were relieved of duty “due to a loss of trust and confidence,” although the Marine Corps did not say it was because of the lost rifles. It’s also not clear what the status is on NCIS’ investigation into those missing rifles.

The Marine Corps adopted the M18 in 2020, replacing older pistols such as the M9 that the Corps had used for years. The gun is a compact version of the M17 that is in use by the Army.

Missing weapons have been a reoccurring problem for the armed forces. At least 1,900 were lost or stolen between 2010 and 2019, the majority being rifles, followed by handguns. Approximately 1,300 of those lost weapons were assigned to the U.S. Army. Most recently, the Army’s National Training Center at Fort Irwin lost a M240B machine gun in August 2022. Army Criminal Investigations Division even put up fliers for the lost weapon.

Posts: 15895 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I mean as far as inventory control and loss goes there are LOTS WORSE THINGS to lose on a Marine base. Smile

A single pistol almost sounds like it could be a logging error or something.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7623 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
Guns go missing from Agencies all the time.

BTW, are you sure that is not a fake story? The 21st was not Thursday, it was yesterday

The last time Jan 21st was on a Thursday was in 2021

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5176 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
What they should look for is someone who has bought an FCU recently that is now wearing an M18 slide assembly.

Posts: 3365 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by colt_saa:
...are you sure that is not a fake story? The 21st was not Thursday, it was yesterday

The last time Jan 21st was on a Thursday was in 2021

Just an error, because in the body of the article, the date is correct, "The gun was reported missing on Thursday, Jan. 19."

Q

Posts: 26188 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Considering the amount of arms, small and large, that Sleepy Joe left in A-stan, one pistol is not even a rounding error. Then add in the stuff we left in VN, this is like losing one fork in the mess hall.

Posts: 1636 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: June 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackwater
posted Hide Post
A whole crate of M16's were shipped to a Houston home in Sept of 2022. No one knew until the home owners reported it, after buying 100 empty gun cases. LOL

Joe

Posts: 2525 | Location: Az | Registered: October 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is just not worthy of press coverage. Who cares, besides the poor NCO responsible?

Posts: 7331 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll lose some sleep when the Mexican drug cartels reach their next level of armament, a tactical nuke?

Posts: 185 | Registered: December 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
We pause this thread for an important message...

Now back to the regular posting....

Posts: 23207 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
https://www.airforcetimes.com/...orce%20Base%20in,Col.

They eventually recovered the SAW in an airman's living room. I usuppose he may have gotten out of prison by now!!!

Posts: 7791 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
This happens wwwwwwaaaaaaayyyyyyyy more than people realize. When you add in transit thefts, a lot of hardware goes missing. And CID and NCIS take it really seriously.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37073 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yeah, the crate of M-16s bought at an auction- talk about temptation.

Posts: 107228 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of this novel:
“The Revolt of Gunner Asch”
—Hans Hellmut Kirst

A pre war German army base went into virtual lock down because ONE rifle round was unaccounted for.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8838 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 32411 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I wonder if they take it as seriously as they used to

Cavalry unit late 80's in Schweinfurt, GE. Were were doing some one day field exercises, forget why. A dipshit medic lost his 1911, complete lockdown. We were there searching in the cold rain for a day and a half before it was found in the mud

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BigSwede,

Posts: 5291 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I can just imagine getting that crate of M16s and having to explain it to my wife. "NO SERIOUSLY ITS A MISTAKE.....I MEAN IT......PUT THE GUN DOWN....HONEY......."

That whole scenario just doesn't end well any way I slice it. Big Grin

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7623 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
Hand receipts and 100% accountability. Who was the last person to have possession of the gun.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I dropped my 1911 over the side after returning from a patrol, we were stationed on a houseboat. I saw exactly where it slid over the side and could see a hole in the mud. I spent the next four hours trying to get it up from under four feet of water.

We eventually tied off the 41’ utility boat to the dock and some pilings and engaged one prop to flush the muck out.

I recovered the pistol. And never put it in the holster again after the clearing station. Made damn sure I held onto it.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11236 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is nothing, we left enough tanks, field artillery, helicopters, rifles, handgun, you name it to equip the third largest army on the planed when we bailed out of Vietnam. As I understand it they dug a 16 foot wide trench down the main runway for one of the bases for it's full length and drove tanks into that trench end to end. Then they covered the tanks and re-paved the entire runway.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5605 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post