SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    HK expert find *update post range session 7/2*
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HK expert find *update post range session 7/2* Login/Join 
Just mobilize it
posted
So I’ve always loved the HK USP line and felt they are some of the most over built and engineered handguns around. Love my USPc and the Mark 23 (essentially a super USP), but I’ve been intrigued by the Expert and Elite series for a while as they have been touted as tack drivers from the people that own them. I’ve been trying to improve my target 9mm stable and when I found a new 2022 production Expert the other day I figured I should rescue it before someone else does. Don’t see them on the shelf very often. It feels awesome and points very well. Fit and finish is excellent as expected by HK, though not quite as tight as my Mark 23. I didn’t think I’d like the black on black sights though I’m open to them as they present well and are at least adjustable. Plus a little dab of paint or polish on the front sight could improve that. Trying to decide if I want to add the jet funnel kit, but I kind of like it the way it is. Anyone have an Expert or Elite and care to share your experience?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: LincolnSixEcho,

Posts: 4611 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
DEFINITELY add the Jet Funnel kit...You will NOT be disappointed! This is my USP 9 (DAO) converted to a USP Combat Competition w/ a Match LEM Hybrid Trigger Cool

My one peeve about the USP was always that the Lanyard Loop/Pin kinda' dug into the heel of my hand. The Jet Funnel eliminates that part entirely, and as a result, it just feels SO Damn Nice in the hand... Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8876 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not exactly sure what experience you want shared. I have more than a few. like way more. The USP's are my favorite guns after 226's (this is sigforum you know) what are you going to use it for? Unless you need the bigger mags I wouldn't bother.
unlike nhracecraft and about a zillion rounds shooting USP's and the difference hasn't been meaningful to me.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
I like the looks of the jet funnel a lot, always have. Thing is when I’m going for accuracy/groups I usually only load my mags to 10 rounds at a time at the range anyway. I like the translucent mags though I think then my existing mags are pretty much useless right. I thought I read that HK will swap them out though not sure if true or just internet lore.

posted Hide Post
I have an Expert in 9mm w/ the jet funnel attached. A beautiful easy shooting pistol. I have experienced no issues whatsoever with her.

Posts: 4054 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
My Expert, Tactical and Elites are all chambered for 45ACP and I love them

I would grab a 9MM Expert without hesitation

The adjustable sights are available in a three dot configuration. I changed mine out on the 45 Tactical for the faster sight acquisition

The only way I would add the Jet Funnel to my 9MM was if I had a supply or source for the Jet Funnel style magazines

I do have a supply of the Jet Funnel magazines including some of the older pre-bans and my 9MM USP-SD has a Jet Funnel added to it and the change to the 3 dot sights.

Unfortunatly, it looks like I never photographed that one

I bought extra sets of the adjustable 3 dot sights because I was planning on putting one on a 45ACP USPf and on a Compact Tactical but that has not happened yet

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
USP Combat Competition w/ a Match LEM Hybrid Trigger Cool

What the hell is that?!?!? Match LEM trigger.. !?!? Details please

Posts: 691 | Location: PA | Registered: August 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
Good stuff guys thanks for the insights and pics. ColtSAA do you feel your shoot the expert better or same as the Tactical?

posted Hide Post
I have the exact same USP expert you bought. I put a Dawson front sight on it and it is by far the most accurate 9mm I shoot. I do a lot of experimentation with reloads and just general shooting. Its pretty cool to hit steel at 50 and 100 yards with a semi. I just wish there was a better selection of holsters for it and USP’s in general.

You found a great gun.

Posts: 23 | Registered: June 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
A spectacular weapon.
I have an Expert in both 9mm and 45cal.
They are wonderful pistols.
Huge fan (in case you can't tell Smile )

Cool

Posts: 22900 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LincolnSixEcho:
Good stuff guys thanks for the insights and pics. ColtSAA do you feel your shoot the expert better or same as the Tactical?

That is a tough call. They both shoot great

I mainly use the Coyote Tactical with a suppressor.

I already owned the Elite and Expert when I stumbled on the Coyote Tactical. If it had been a run of the mill Black Tactical I might not have bought it since I had other platforms for suppressed shooting.

I much prefer the look of the Expert and it goes target shooting much, much more often than the tactical, probably 15:1

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
I put a jet funnel on my Expert as soon as I could find a kit, which at the time was hard.

My Expert vintage included the black Eagle case.

Posts: 3499 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
I figured those who had them had to love them. I don’t hear anything negative about them. Hoping to make it out soon to the range with it!

A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
I have a USP Expert in 9mm bought new in 2005. I am a big HK fan boy and this is my favorite of the USP series. It has always ran perfect. The only things I changed to suit me were installing a Dawson FO front sight, a lighter main spring, and converting it to a variant 9 to do away with the decocking function.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^ I kinda like the fiber optic front sight idea. How’s your DA and SA after the mainspring change?

A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LincolnSixEcho:
^^^^^^ I kinda like the fiber optic front sight idea. How’s your DA and SA after the mainspring change?

I don't remember the weights before the change but now it is 3lbs SA and 9.5lbs DA on my electronic gauge. I never use DA, just wanted a little better pull with out a lot of major work. Changing the spring and detent plate are easily done.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
That seems like a great SA pull especially. Mine is just over 3.5# and I have yet to live fire it.

Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
Update: Just got back from my first range session with the Expert. 150 rounds of NATO and S and B 124/115. All ran flawlessly. Took it out mostly to about 10 yards and it was clustering them nicely. Shoots pretty much POA=POI. Then I was able to drill some clays set up at 50 yds. with relative ease.

I like the SA trigger pull, albeit it’s a tad long in terms of take up. Very nice break and reset is decent. Funny I was starting to shoot a hair down right and so I switched just to one hand (dominant right) and I was drilling bullseyes! This has not happened before with a gun that I actually shot it better one-handed NRA pistol style. I don’t know other than maybe the way I gripped it the muzzle didn’t dive as much. I would have thought the opposite.

The slide movement is also quite interesting and something I’ve not felt this pronounced on any other gun. I can notice it’s movement almost like it’s delayed or muted/slowed a bit. It’s easier to rack than my other HK’s so the recoil spring is lighter I think, I’d have to look it up to make sure. It’s a very comfortable though pronounced thwack back and forth, even more than the sensation I get with my Mark 23, yet the front sight seems to come back down on target each time. I could shoot it all day without fatigue I’m sure as it’s anything but harsh.

In all I’m very happy with the Expert. I hope to get out more with it and ring out some even better groups with it over time. Then the ultimate goal will be to put it up against the Sig p210, CZ TSO, and the Staccato to see how they all compare.

Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
If you are searching for a decent range holster, blade tech still makes one, but I like this one from FrontLine better.

FrontLine Kydex Holsters

Fairly affordable as well.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11145 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
^^^Good to know thanks for the info