SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Smith & Wesson 350
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Smith & Wesson 350 Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
So I have quite a few cases of .350 Legend ammo. It was like $11-$12 a box so I bought quite a bit even though I had nothing chambered in it.
I liked the idea of the cartridge and it was inexpensive and figured I’d get around to it.
Bought a .350 Legend upper but have not been able to get it to function properly.
I only have a couple .38 revolvers but been watching a larger caliber.
6” Python is on the list if they ever making the new ones in blue.
Smith recently announced the 350. Have to say I am liking the idea.
Would I go out in search of one if I did not have numerous cases of ammo I don’t think so.
But I do like the idea. Just not sure if the X frame is really to big to enjoy.
Mostly just a novelty as I don’t plan to do any hunting with it at the moment and probably too big for a woods gun in a chest holster.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Black92LX,

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25452 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I dont know what is a D frame? I saw this on line as the X frame and a 7 shooter. Did I miss something?

Posts: 17922 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
yes, I think the OP meant X-frame.

Problems with .300 in X-frame is that

a) yes, it very heavy. So you need grip
strength

b) and you cannot
shoot anything else in that revolver.

With .460 XVR (also available in X-Frame)
you can shoot .45 Colt, .454 Casul and 460 XVR

c) .300 Legend looses a lot of velocity
out of the 7.5 inch barrel compared to 16 inch barrel. Like a lot (with factory loads) -- check some videos with
chronograph .

Posts: 91 | Registered: February 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
The 350 is built on the "X" frame.
IT IS a huge revolver! The S & W specs show a 7.5 inch barrel, and 71.5 ounces.

My "X" frame has the 10.5" barrel, and it is not something that goes in a chest holster. Note the quick disconnect sling swivel attachment point on the barrel.
The other sling attachment point is obtained by replacing the grip attachment screw on the bottom of the grip with a supplied sling attachment stud.
I remove the stud on the bottom of the grip for shooting from sandbags at the range. I reinstall the stud while hunting.
Shooting it from the bench with the stud installed tears up sandbags.

Actually, a gun bearer is the best solution for carry.
The 10.5" model from the Performance Center weighs 78.9 ounces, plus the scope, plus the scope rings which are machined from solid ordnance steel.
The scope rail is machined directly into the upper surface of the barrel shroud.
I have had scope ring failure under recoil from lesser quality rings. Scope to the face was narrowly avoided.
My take on the .350 Model? It's made for States and Counties that require shotguns with slugs for deer hunting, OR specialty pistols/or rifles in a straight walled case design. It is a great solution for crappy legislated hunting regulations.

If it sells well, S & W may produce a 350 model with shorter barrel lengths, but you will lose cartridge effectiveness.
I had a "X" frame .500 with a non-ported 2.750" barrel length, it was a beast and is now sold.
The 10.5" .500 isn't bad to shoot with the radial brake, but damn it is heavy.
If you were closer, I would take you to the range and fire it up!
It will put all five rounds in the cylinder on a 100 yard target and do it under the end of a 12 ounce soda can for group size.
Not bad for a revolver.

IMG_20190405_101541167 by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1551 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
I dont know what is a D frame? I saw this on line as the X frame and a 7 shooter. Did I miss something?

Guess I just fat fingered that one.

————————————————

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
I dont know what is a D frame? ?

D frame is a Colt. Smile

Posts: 21123 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
That's one BFR Eek
My brother in law bought a Ruger bolt rifle in 350, but we haven't found the time to get it to the range, and it needs optics.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15383 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
I was curious what the 10.5" "X" frame revolver pictured above actually weighed.
I can't remember what brand scope rings it has so I just decided to weigh the entire rig and ammo.
Six pounds, 8.3 ounces for the revolver, scope, rings, and five rounds of Federal Premium ammo with the Barnes 275 grain solid copper hollow points.
That's why you will need a gun bearer.

NRA Instructor

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I think the X frames are too big in any cartridge, and especially so in the .350. I have often thought that trying to shoe-horn rifle-level rounds into a pistol is a little silly.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
20 years ago, the County I lived in required shotguns and slugs for hunting whitetail deer. Rifles not allowed. However ANY center-fire handgun was legal.
75 yards or so with Foster type slugs in a smoothbore shotgun is a good maximum range.
125 yards with a shotgun/rifled barrel/sabot slugs is also good.
Past about 125 yards, all you can do is wave.
T/C Encore pistol in 30-06 and a scope is good for 225 yards.
S & W "X" frame with a scope depending on cartridge is good for 200 yards or more.
Specially pistols became common due to poorly thought out game regulations.
10 or so years ago in that county, they finally allowed rifles.
And no surprise to me, there was not a sudden increase in rifle rounds killing man
and beast. The specialty handguns DO have a purpose.

NRA Instructor

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
That's one BFR Eek
My brother in law bought a Ruger bolt rifle in 350, but we haven't found the time to get it to the range, and it needs optics.

I am sure I will end up with a Ruger American Ranch rifle in .350.

This Smith just seemed pretty cool for a novelty for me.

————————————————

Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
A buddy bought a Ruger American Ranch in .350 Legend for his kid and I sighted it in for him. It was a decent shooting gun, and a fun cartridge....kind of like a souped up .357 Mag. That Smith is definitely not something I need, but it sure would be fun. If I was going X-Frame, though, I'd probably get the .460, since I'm already shooting .45 Colt.

Posts: 8671 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
That's one BFR Eek

I am sure I will end up with a Ruger American Ranch rifle in .350.

This Smith just seemed pretty cool for a novelty for me.

I think that's what his is. And around here 350 is pretty common on the shelf, even WalMart carries it in their limited ammo supply.
Pricing seems relatively close to what .223/5.56 range ammo runs.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15383 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post