SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Anyone here own a Novak's Custom?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone here own a Novak's Custom? Login/Join 
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted
I have always wanted a Novak's Custom S&W 3rd Gen pistol. A full house 915 or 645. Or a 4566 or 4506-1 gone over by the Novak's smiths. With the Novak's logo stamped on the slide.

When they were around and available, I couldn't afford one. Now that I can afford one, Novak's no longer works on making custom 3rd Gen S&Ws.

Anyone here have one? Smile Can we see a picture of it? Thanks! Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
As a recent Novak’s owner (Browning Hi Power), I’d like to see their work on S&W autos!

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Novak did great work on Smiths.

Smith&Wesson used him as a consultant when designing the 3rd Gens. He knew the platform very well.

Novak would say though that Smith did not take all his advice.

I still have a CS9D worked over by Novaks as well as a Super9.

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
18DAI,
Here is one for you!
http://www.novaksinc.com/4516.html

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1532 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
Thank you cee_Kamp! Smile

The 4516 is one of my favorites. That pistol is beautiful......well.....except for the hook on the trigter guard. Dunno about that.

I wish I could get them to work on one of my 4516s. I'd be happy with just the action work and an 11° crown on the barrel. Thanks again for the pic! Regards 18DAI

posted Hide Post
Does Novak still take orders for specific custom work? All I could find on their site was firearms already finished.

Posts: 525 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never followed the whole Devel thing. What purpose did the hook ever serve? I love that gun but that ridiculous hook ruins it for me so I’d love to hear the history, explanation, link, etc.

Posts: 7472 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
Last time I called Novak's to inquire......2014?..they were not doing any S&W 3rd Gen customization. Evidently, that has changed, based on a customized 4516 appearing for sale there. I am planning on calling Monday to see if they will work on my 4516 no dash model.

I want the action work and re crown on the barrel. Not the ball cuts or the hook. And I want the famous NOVAK'S logo stamped in the slide. NOT the cheesy laser etching. Wink

AFAIK the hook on the trigger guard came about from an old pistol shooting technique where one placed the forefinger of their support hand on the front of the trigger guard.

I don't know who did it first, but I think Paris Theodore of Seventrees and ASP pistol fame did it first, with the ASP. Charlie Kelsey incorporated it on most of his Devel pistols. Mr. Wayne Novak collects Devel guns. And was imstrumental in the development of the S&W 3rd Gen pistols. I would love to know what ideas he proposed to S&W that they passed on. Regards 18DAI

posted Hide Post
His collection of Devel guns is amazing.

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
I'll bet that fugly hook appendage really wouldn't be that hard to remove.
1. hacksaw
2. files
3. stones
4. sandpaper
5. beadblast
Then it would be like it had never been there.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1532 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
Yes. But the dent in my head from my wife finding out I spent $2500 on a handgun, will be MUCH harder to remove. Wink Regards 18DAI

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
I can see two functions that Devel hook on that 4516 Smith serves.

1- It prevents your weak hand's index finger from slipping off, for those who shoot that way.

2- When you run out of ammo, you can still put a hole in your enemy's head using that thing.

Q

Posts: 26371 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 18DAI:
Last time I called Novak's to inquire......2014?..they were not doing any S&W 3rd Gen customization. Evidently, that has changed, based on a customized 4516 appearing for sale there. I am planning on calling Monday to see if they will work on my 4516 no dash model.

I want the action work and re crown on the barrel. Not the ball cuts or the hook. And I want the famous NOVAK'S logo stamped in the slide. NOT the cheesy laser etching. Wink

AFAIK the hook on the trigger guard came about from an old pistol shooting technique where one placed the forefinger of their support hand on the front of the trigger guard.

I don't know who did it first, but I think Paris Theodore of Seventrees and ASP pistol fame did it first, with the ASP. Charlie Kelsey incorporated it on most of his Devel pistols. Mr. Wayne Novak collects Devel guns. And was imstrumental in the development of the S&W 3rd Gen pistols. I would love to know what ideas he proposed to S&W that they passed on. Regards 18DAI

I recall Novak saying he was not happy with the 3rd Gen trigger and was vocal about it with Smith's management at the time.

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Rogue and Blackguard
Picture of FPNunes
posted Hide Post
I had a 3914 done over by Wayne a long time ago with bar dot night sights, shaved slide stop/safety and coated in black-T. Nice gun but the finish started peeling after a few months of shooting and carry. I sold it off shortly after and never looked back.

In my circle, Novak's was the go to shop for Commanders and Hi-Powers. I miss those days.

Save the whales. Redeem them for valuable prizes...

Posts: 1556 | Location: Missing New England everyday | Registered: March 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FPNunes:
I had a 3914 done over by Wayne a long time ago with bar dot night sights, shaved slide stop/safety and coated in black-T. Nice gun but the finish started peeling after a few months of shooting and carry. I sold it off shortly after and never looked back.

In my circle, Novak's was the go to shop for Commanders and Hi-Powers. I miss those days.

I think the black-T finishing was outsourced to whoever that black-T guy was back in the day (Birdsong?).

Novak himself typically recommended his bead-blast blue finish as it was simple, cheap, well understood and easy to redo when it came time to do that.

At the time, I though his low-tech approach was quaint and unsexy compared to the new wonder finishes hitting the market (like black-T).

In retrospect, he was probably right.

Picture of Ace31
posted Hide Post
His shop did a lot of work for me back in the day.
645, 1006, 1911s and of course High Powers.

Most of the guys who did the work left his stable. Curt Wickman, Dennis Deem and RIP Joe Bonar. New crews come and go.

Their work was outstanding, but I have nothing done recently. But I am sure IF, again IF they still do it. The work is second to none.

Posts: 2162 | Location: Wherever the voices in my head tell me to go | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ace31:
His shop did a lot of work for me back in the day.
645, 1006, 1911s and of course High Powers.

Most of the guys who did the work left his stable. Curt Wickman, Dennis Deem and RIP Joe Bonar. New crews come and go.

Their work was outstanding, but I have nothing done recently. But I am sure IF, again IF they still do it. The work is second to none.

I talked to Joe Bonar a day or two before the accident.

I think I talked to him on Friday and the accident was on Saturday. We wished each other a great weekend before hanging up.

He was talented and knowledgeable for sure and was doing most of the work on Smiths at that time.

posted Hide Post
It is worth a call or email to Novak to see if they will work on your pistol.

I have one build in process and they are working on another. I supplied both pistols.

Posts: 124 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post