SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Hornady ultrasonic cleaner?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hornady ultrasonic cleaner? Login/Join 
with a hair trigger
Picture of alou
posted
Does anyone use the Hornady Lock n Load 9L ultrasonic cleaner? I got offered a new one for $400. Wasn't sure if it's worth it as it seems other nonbranded ultrasonic cleaners are much cheaper. Any pros / cons? Do you just take your parts out, dry, lube, and go? How long can you leave the cleaning solution in the tank? Do you replenish after each cleaning? Thanks in advance.

Posts: 596 | Location: Houston, TX USA | Registered: August 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't know about the Hornady, but I have an "offbrand" cleaner that I got from Amazon for $80-100. Works great. I mostly use this solution.

Hornady ammo is great, but doesn't it seem like their non-ammo stuff is marked up crazy, especially lately? I bought a Hornady under-the-bed "Rapid" safe years ago for ~$200, but now it seels for $450. Nuts.

Posts: 447 | Location: Shenandoah Valley | Registered: February 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
with a hair trigger
Picture of alou
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by marksman41:
Some info. here may be of use:

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...900005694#4900005694

Thanks! That helped a lot!

Posts: 596 | Location: Houston, TX USA | Registered: August 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one and love it! (The 9L)
$400 is a pretty good deal for one!

I use the Hornaday solution and distilled water. The solution is a little expensive, but you're not using much of it. Just follow the ratio on the jug. You can re-use the solution and water after you clean the guns- it's dependent on how dirty the solution gets. I've ran 24 guns through one cycle of solution. If you want to re-use it, just toss it into a plastic milk container or something similar. I've used other ultrasonics, and unless it's a Medical Grade one, they just "kinda" work. I think you'll really like the Hornaday.

I strip the weapons down, toss them in the basket then into the cleaner. I'll leave out the grips. turn the heat on, turn on the ultrasonic viabrator and go make a cup of coffee. Come back 30 min later, wash them off with clean water, blow everything off with an air compressor, lubricate (I'll get into that in a second), reassemble.

When I say it gets the guns clean, it gets them CLEAN! As in every bit of oil, grime and grit is gone! The problem is, there's no oil left on the gun to keep it from rusting. You need to wipe the weapon down with a silicon rag / oily cloth prior to reassembly.

I don't use it after every range trip, only after a few guns are really dirty. It doesn't really make sense cleaning only one gun, unless it's absolutely filthy.
If you have a buddy, 2 people can make pretty fast work in cleaning multiple guns! Figure out a system, a few beers, and next thing you know, a dozen guns have been cleaned, lubed and reassembled!

Guns, Brass (if you re-load), jewelry, auto parts... gets' em all spotless.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8347 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
with a hair trigger
Picture of alou
posted Hide Post
Thanks CPD SIG!

posted Hide Post
Added bonus with the Hornaday solution-

Your guns have a pleasant "lemon" sent Wink

I Did some training a while back with my work AR. Cleaned it in the ultrasonic along with some other guns. Tossed the work AR back in my locker. I couldn't figure out what smelled like lemons...
Ahhh! The solution!

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8347 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I run one. Bought it used for $200. Simple green and distilled water is my solution of choice. Run a heated cycle, brush and run again if necessary, blow with compressed air and lube. I drain the solution into a water jug using the hose. Effective, efficient, and convenient. I also have a smaller, cheaper US cleaner from HF Tool. It works, just not as well or as quickly.

Posts: 52 | Registered: October 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
with a hair trigger
Picture of alou
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mozambique:
I run one. Bought it used for $200. Simple green and distilled water is my solution of choice. Run a heated cycle, brush and run again if necessary, blow with compressed air and lube. I drain the solution into a water jug using the hose. Effective, efficient, and convenient. I also have a smaller, cheaper US cleaner from HF Tool. It works, just not as well or as quickly.

Thanks!

posted Hide Post
Been using the Hornady at home for several years now, had a big unit at my PD whwere I worked that was capable of doing several handguns or 2 AR's. Used all the above steps posted above with no issues except for the one Glock that went in..not good!! As for the one at home, just to get and "extra" time or two out of the cleaning solution I drain it thru 2 paper coffe filters.

Posts: 17 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: January 31, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
with a hair trigger
Picture of alou
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Retired228:
Been using the Hornady at home for several years now, had a big unit at my PD whwere I worked that was capable of doing several handguns or 2 AR's. Used all the above steps posted above with no issues except for the one Glock that went in..not good!! As for the one at home, just to get and "extra" time or two out of the cleaning solution I drain it thru 2 paper coffe filters.

What happened to the Glock?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by alou:
What happened to the Glock?

I'll second that. What happened to the Glock?

Posts: 27 | Registered: July 29, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Hell, now I want to know, too. What happened to the Glock?

Posts: 17129 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post