SIGforum
P226 LDC II (German) - What is this unusual symbol on the barrel? Photos in thread

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/2450025605

February 04, 2024, 03:52 PM
sigarmsp226
P226 LDC II (German) - What is this unusual symbol on the barrel? Photos in thread
Saw this on a used P226 LDC II stainless pistol and have never seen this “deer antler” type symbol. Anyone know what this represents?

February 04, 2024, 03:56 PM
cslinger
Stag Horn proof mark. Used for the Ulm proof house I believe. It indicates that it was proofed there.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."
February 04, 2024, 04:04 PM
sigarmsp226
Thank you Cslinger for this detail. Learned something new today. Mark
February 04, 2024, 05:03 PM
Yes it is. See it a lot on HKs. Btw, that's surprising to see on a SIG, since the Kiel proofing on SIGs are done in house.

Q

February 04, 2024, 06:55 PM
sigarmsp226
Ok guys - Please educate me a little more on this topic.

When this “proof mark” or any other identified proof mark is on a handgun does this mean that the barrel or the entire gun is sent to a specific facility where the entire gun or barrel goes through a complete re-inspection against an identified specification?

Does SIG or HK send every pistol they make to be proof checked or only random samples from a lot?

Thanks Mark
February 04, 2024, 07:02 PM
Every single gun that is assembled in a CIP country has to be proofed, by law. No such thing as random batch testing. Once passed the proof testing, the complete gun's major parts (frame, slide, barrel) are then received the proof marks.

Old and current proof marks can be found on CIP home page:

Old proof marks

Current proof marks

ETA: Too bad CIP has nuked their old proof mark pages for individual CIP country. But, check the link below for the old proof marks.

https://pdf4pro.com/view/proof...a-museum-3a2e22.html

Q

February 04, 2024, 07:50 PM
sigarmsp226
Thank you Q for this extra detail. I did not realize this was a requirement. Thanks again for this educational session. Greatly appreciate you and this forum’s members.
February 04, 2024, 08:12 PM
cslinger
While proof marking doesn’t necessarily mean a better firearm many of us sort of “geek out” on them so to speak. I like my firearms with various proof marks.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."
February 05, 2024, 05:55 AM
Udo
Antler is the proof mark for the Ulm house.