SIGforum
Took my SA EMP 9mm for a spin

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/2450011454

March 02, 2019, 06:19 PM
Batty67
Took my SA EMP 9mm for a spin
Had not shot it in 2-3 years. And last time I shot the 3" barreled pistol (purchased for CC) I was not happy a bit with how I shot it (it was WAY high).

100+ rounds today with not only zero issues, but I was destroying the center of the targets. Even at 15 yards I was shooting a 3-4" group consistently. At 7 yards or less I was able to blow out remaining red portions of the center of the target, almost at will. Super pleased.
March 02, 2019, 06:25 PM
az4783054
hmmmm...wonder what changed? Razz

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.
March 02, 2019, 06:27 PM
Batty67
I have no idea. It was like getting a C- on test and then an A+...
March 02, 2019, 07:12 PM
Nipper
Bad metallurgy no doubt...luckily self-correcting though. Apparently, the defective molecular structure healed itself over the past 2-3 years. No doubt it was centered in the barrel/slide areas of the pistol. Razz

Sometimes ya get lucky.

March 02, 2019, 08:24 PM
92fstech
I have a 4" EMP... probably my favorite gun to shoot. The thing is a tack driver, and reliable to boot.
March 02, 2019, 08:36 PM
Batty67
quote:
Originally posted by Nipper:
Bad metallurgy no doubt...luckily self-correcting though. Apparently, the defective molecular structure healed itself over the past 2-3 years. No doubt it was centered in the barrel/slide areas of the pistol. Razz

Sometimes ya get lucky.

I've shot it well before, but never this well. Anyhow, I'm not making excuses (being negative), just sharing how pleased I was (positive).
March 02, 2019, 08:58 PM
jimmy123x
The type of ammo you used last time might have caused it to shoot high. With my BHP .40, it will shoot 6" high with 165 grain versus POA/POI with 180 grain. Or vise versa... I cannot remember which causes it to shoot high, but one of them does even with different brands.
March 03, 2019, 05:48 AM
sigsuby
I'm very pleased with the way my EMP 9mm shoots.
March 03, 2019, 07:56 AM
ARMT Guy
Aside from needing a thorough break-in, they're accurate little shooters and make for great CC pistols.

I've owned two. Foolishly sold the first one, then came across a second and won't let go of it.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

March 03, 2019, 02:32 PM
az4783054
My EMP4 9mm has worked on any ammunition right out of the box. It is very accurate. I like the smaller circumference grip but didn't care for the oem wood grips. Starburst COOL HAND grips resolved that.

I wish I could have found a CCC version, but at least the 1/2" longer grip doesn't dig into the palm of my hands.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.
March 04, 2019, 08:29 AM
pedropcola
I always wanted to get the contour carry or whatever they call the bobtail as a brother for my EMP4. Great gun. If I had a good local 1911 guy I would drop some coin into making a better trigger and changing the ambi safety into a one sider. Trigger is fine but certainly not great. A bit of creep that needs to go.

Great guns.
March 04, 2019, 05:28 PM
Batty67
If I had known the EMP 4" carry version was coming out a year later I would have waited. I got mine second-hand and the second owner barely shot it. I'm guessing it had well under 1k rounds through it. I was on the fence and he said something like "did I mention it comes with 8 magazines?" Ding.

I swapped out the ambi safety with one for RH folks, the grips, and upgraded the stock night sites, which were getting a tad dim and were too damn small. The trigger is excellent as is, either stock or it had work done on it.