SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Took my SA EMP 9mm for a spin
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Took my SA EMP 9mm for a spin Login/Join 
posted
Had not shot it in 2-3 years. And last time I shot the 3" barreled pistol (purchased for CC) I was not happy a bit with how I shot it (it was WAY high).

100+ rounds today with not only zero issues, but I was destroying the center of the targets. Even at 15 yards I was shooting a 3-4" group consistently. At 7 yards or less I was able to blow out remaining red portions of the center of the target, almost at will. Super pleased.

Posts: 3536 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
hmmmm...wonder what changed? Razz

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have no idea. It was like getting a C- on test and then an A+...

Posts: 3536 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bad metallurgy no doubt...luckily self-correcting though. Apparently, the defective molecular structure healed itself over the past 2-3 years. No doubt it was centered in the barrel/slide areas of the pistol. Razz

Sometimes ya get lucky.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I have a 4" EMP... probably my favorite gun to shoot. The thing is a tack driver, and reliable to boot.

Posts: 8543 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nipper:
Bad metallurgy no doubt...luckily self-correcting though. Apparently, the defective molecular structure healed itself over the past 2-3 years. No doubt it was centered in the barrel/slide areas of the pistol. Razz

Sometimes ya get lucky.

I've shot it well before, but never this well. Anyhow, I'm not making excuses (being negative), just sharing how pleased I was (positive).

posted Hide Post
The type of ammo you used last time might have caused it to shoot high. With my BHP .40, it will shoot 6" high with 165 grain versus POA/POI with 180 grain. Or vise versa... I cannot remember which causes it to shoot high, but one of them does even with different brands.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm very pleased with the way my EMP 9mm shoots.

Posts: 1616 | Location: Simpsonville SC | Registered: April 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
Aside from needing a thorough break-in, they're accurate little shooters and make for great CC pistols.

I've owned two. Foolishly sold the first one, then came across a second and won't let go of it.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
My EMP4 9mm has worked on any ammunition right out of the box. It is very accurate. I like the smaller circumference grip but didn't care for the oem wood grips. Starburst COOL HAND grips resolved that.

I wish I could have found a CCC version, but at least the 1/2" longer grip doesn't dig into the palm of my hands.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always wanted to get the contour carry or whatever they call the bobtail as a brother for my EMP4. Great gun. If I had a good local 1911 guy I would drop some coin into making a better trigger and changing the ambi safety into a one sider. Trigger is fine but certainly not great. A bit of creep that needs to go.

Great guns.

Posts: 7460 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I had known the EMP 4" carry version was coming out a year later I would have waited. I got mine second-hand and the second owner barely shot it. I'm guessing it had well under 1k rounds through it. I was on the fence and he said something like "did I mention it comes with 8 magazines?" Ding.

I swapped out the ambi safety with one for RH folks, the grips, and upgraded the stock night sites, which were getting a tad dim and were too damn small. The trigger is excellent as is, either stock or it had work done on it.