SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Advice on Purchasing a Newer Colt LW Commander
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Advice on Purchasing a Newer Colt LW Commander Login/Join 
Picture of Gambit
posted
I will look at it tomorrow, but from the pics I believe it to be one of the newer models. Pics look like about 90ish% exterior and owner states that it was taken out on a fairly regular basis, but internals don't show it. Asking is $900.
I shoot a Kimber a lot, but that old school lure of a Colt 1911 is getting the best of me.
Advice please.

Posts: 915 | Location: Acadiana | Registered: February 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Look for frame cracks around the slide stop hole. Some vintages of the Colt lightweight metallurgy were more prone to this occurrence than other vintages. Particularly if chambered in .45acp.

Posts: 3152 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bought a 9mm LW Colt Commander last year. Up to about 500 rounds now. Works perfect. I use Wilson mags in it.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16100 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
I have a few Dan Wesson LW’s and they are good. I can’t answer on the Colt version. Other than I bet it will be “snappier” than a steel model.
I just bought the Colt Competition model
https://www.colt.com/detail-pa...on-ser70-45acp-ss-81
It shoots pretty nice.

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gambit
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input, guys.
I met with the seller today. The gun looks new, but better with some nice aftermarket adds (Ed Brown, Trijicon) and extra mags. Going to pull the trigger on it tomorrow.
Thanks for the replies.
Nframe,I looked at that very model at two major web retailers this morning, but although the prices were friendly, the supply was not. One of these shows the gun as available until you actually click on it. I bet it's sweet.
On a side note, I ordered another Kimber. Cabela's has the LW Stainless for under $700, OTD.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Gambit,

Posts: 915 | Location: Acadiana | Registered: February 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gambit
posted Hide Post
Done deal...Almost mint...I wasn't expecting the trigger as good as it is...

quote:
Originally posted by Gambit:
Thanks for the input, guys.
I met with the seller today. The gun looks new, but better with some nice aftermarket adds (Ed Brown, Trijicon) and extra mags. Going to pull the trigger on it tomorrow.
Thanks for the replies.
Nframe,I looked at that very model at two major web retailers this morning, but although the prices were friendly, the supply was not. One of these shows the gun as available until you actually click on it. I bet it's sweet.
On a side note, I ordered another Kimber. Cabela's has the LW Stainless for under $700, OTD.

posted Hide Post
Nice looking gun, change the recoil spring every 500 rounds in them.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gambit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:

Thanks, but 500?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gambit:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:

Thanks, but 500?

Woops, I'm thinking of the shorter officers model and not the LW commander. The officers model really hammers recoil springs due to it's ultra short barrel (for 1911) and a short replacement interval is recommended. The commander has a longer interval, check the Coltowners manual for the interval.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've always thought those were the best looking grips on any 1911.

Posts: 1093 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
You might be able to use a flat wire spring and guide rod kit to extend the mileage a bit.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is a beautiful piece. I’m envious. I’ve been looking for one of those for a long time. I settled for a new Springfield Ronin commander size today in 9mm that I put on layaway. Of course I’ll stumble onto a Colt now lol, but I wouldn’t pass it up if does come along and looks as nice as yours!!

Posts: 457 | Location: Marblehead ohio | Registered: January 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
Congratulations , I think you will like it. I just picked this one up yesterday. A Colt Special Combat in .38 Super. Hope to get it out soon to see what she'll do.

JEREMIAH 33:3

Posts: 2772 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gambit
posted Hide Post
Very nice!

quote:
Originally posted by got2hav1:
Congratulations , I think you will like it. I just picked this one up yesterday. A Colt Special Combat in .38 Super. Hope to get it out soon to see what she'll do.

posted Hide Post
Nice looking Colt. I also a sucker for a nice looking 1911 variant.

Posts: 270 | Location: Iowa | Registered: April 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post