SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Seeking info on CMMG Banshee
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seeking info on CMMG Banshee Login/Join 
posted
What are the Pos/Neg on the 9mm model.

MK4 (AR type mag) vs MKGS (Glock mag)
MK4 has the forward assist, is it needed as the G 200 model doesn't have one?

What's the differences between the (3), 100-200-300 besides the 300 having the forward assist?

Reliability issues with either one?

Is there something else in this price point which is as good or a better value?

What's the scoop?

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CMMG makes top quality stuff. A 9mm Banshee is essentially a roller delayed PCC with AR-style controls, and it does a great job of mitigating the felt recoil of a standard direct blowback PCC. If this is what you're looking for, CMMG is an excellent choice. Angstadt Arms is a (more expensive) option.

If you just want an AR style PCC and don't care about the operating system, there's cheaper options. One advantage here is bringing your own lower, which gets it out of being classified as a pistol or rifle on the 4473. I think PSA and Matador Arms are good options for uppers.

If you want a roller delayed PCC, but don't care about AR-style controls, there are now several MP5 clone options. PTR and Century are excellent alternatives to the HK. Zenith used to import the MKE stuff (before Century picked them up) and now they manufacture their own in the USA.

If you just want a PCC, other options are the AKV (my preference), Scorpion, Stribog, and the stuff from B&T (which is a rabbit hole I wish I could afford to fall into).

The CMMG AR mags are a great option if you want to bring your own lower, but if you buy a complete gun I don't see why you wouldn't go with the Glock mag version. I've never used a forward assist in my life, and I'm not sure why it would be needed on a PCC, but maybe it has something to do with CMMG's roller delay?

Happiness is a warm gun.

Posts: 444 | Location: Shenandoah Valley | Registered: February 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
The CMMGs aren't technically roller delayed...they're radially delayed. The bolt had lugs like a traditional AR bolt, but they have a radius cut in them so they slide on the locking lugs of the barrel extension under recoil, and delay the opening of the bolt by a fraction of a second. The bolt actually functions very similarly to a traditional AR bolt, but lacks a gas system as it doesn't have to actually unlock.

This allows for smoother operation, a lighter bolt and thus less reciprocating mass and a lighter recoil impulse. It also provides the same out-of-battery protection that a regular AR provides...which is absent on the straight blowback guns. I had a straight blowback gun for a while and hated it...recoil was basically the same as a .223, it had some cycling issues, and I also experienced a few out of battery discharges. If you didn't balance your load perfectly to the buffer and spring weight, you'd have problems.

I now have a gun that I built using a CMMG radially-delayed barrel and bolt kit, essentially identical to what they put in the Banshee, and it is awesome. They recommend an oversized ejection port for reliability, so I used an Aero XL upper. Mine does have a forward assist, but I've never used it. It eats everything I feed it, has a very soft recoil impulse and the dot barely laves the target.

The one problem I've had, and others have reported similar issues, is that the ejector battered the pin in half after about 1000 rounds. The ejector in these is in the bolt like a traditional AR, not a separate piece like most 9mm blowback ARs. It was an easy fix...replace the ejector spring and roll pin. CMMG sent me the parts, along with a bolt-tuning weight kit for free. I installed the lightest of the weights and have over 1000 rounds through it since with no further problems.

I use a standard AR lower with the CMMG conversion mags. My gun is set up to be a companion to my patrol rifle that I can shoot on close-in steel, so I wanted commonality in the controls, and the conversion mags have been perfect. I'm also not a Glock guy, so I didn't have a bunch of those mags lying around.

I have been really impressed with this gun, and CMMG's customer service as well. So impressed that just last week I put together a dedicated .22LR upper using a CMMG bolt and barrel kit. My son and I put 800+ rounds of bulk pack federal automatch though it this past week without a single malfunction, which is pretty darn impressive for a .22, IMO. I tried about 5 different kinds of ammo, and it ran everything but CCI Quiet Subsonics, which aren't intended for semi-auto use anyway.

I put mine together for about $700. I think they've gone up in price some, and the factory-built banshees and Guards were always a bit more expensive, but if you can find one that fits your budget I think you'll be very happy with it.

Here's mine:

And here are some youtube videos that describe some of the ejection issues and discuss the theory of operation behind the gun:

Posts: 8417 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
While I do own a 10mm, I am not real familiar with the workings of the gun.

But I can vouch that mine and my cousin’s 10mm version have been 100% reliable. And ours use SGM mags instead of Glock for the higher capacity mags.

I’d be even more trusting of Glock mags exclusively for the 9mm.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6254 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
The CMMGs aren't technically roller delayed...they're radially delayed.

I stand corrected. Thank you!

Posts: 444 | Location: Shenandoah Valley | Registered: February 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have always wanted one of these. Sorry for the completely non helpful comment.

Posts: 7347 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I have a 300. I think it’s barrel length between 100,200,300? But that was before they redid everything.
Mine had growing pains. Extractor broke. They sent me a new one. Added medium weight to bolt for suppressed use. Working fine now.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 9mm CMMG (radial delayed blowback). Within a couple of weeks, I sold by straight blowback 9mm. The CMMG was much,much better!

Posts: 1264 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the great feedback.

I'm conflicted on wether to stay with the AR mag version for AR commonality and the ability to swap uppers.
Also like the overall looks of the curved mag.

Or go with a dedicated Glock model for slimmer mags and mag compatibility with a *pistol.
*would have to buy one first.

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post