SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Picked Up A Smith and Wesson Model 15-3
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Picked Up A Smith and Wesson Model 15-3 Login/Join 
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I am not "an old guy" so to speak. I grew up with 80s action flicks, wonder nines, HKs etc.

That said DAMN I LOVE ME A GOOD REVOLVER. Not only do they just exude class there is something so satisfyingly mechanical about shooting them, loading them etc. Even speed loaders are just sort of cool to me. You could give me that gun and a speed loader or two and I would feel perfectly adequately armed as well.

That is a beautiful piece. Enjoy it in good health.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7625 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
Very nice, congrats on a great purchase!

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4507 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice K-38! I expect it will shoot as good as it looks--If it was mine, I'd next work on replacing those 80's Grips with something more akin to what it was wearing when it left 2100 Roosevelt Ave. for the first time... Smile

Posts: 641 | Location: Griffin, GA, USA | Registered: November 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Yeah, the grips were put on in 1995.

I have a set of target grips at my brother's house going on it.

I can either put these away for safe keeping or sell them.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34073 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
Sweet! My hubby has his grandfathers police model 15, and it’s got the best trigger ever. Awesome revolver, definitely an heirloom for us. Congrats on your purchase!

Posts: 1124 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice find!
If your serial number starts with "K" then it was most likely born before 1970.

Posts: 159 | Location: PA | Registered: December 12, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Might be more period correct with S&W magna stocks and grip adapter. Nice M-15 reminds me of USAF issue.

Posts: 185 | Registered: December 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Like THIS? LOL

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Posts: 34073 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sweet pc, I picked up a nickel plated 4" in early 2000's ser # 1k1xxxx

Posts: 632 | Location: Cajun Country, Sportsman Paradise  | Registered: March 19, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
This one was a deputy's personal weapon for Norcross back in the 70's.

I bought it from the grandson that wants a Glock. Big Grin

Wowser!

A few years ago I picked up a nice Winchester 30-06 at a pawn shop that a grandson sold.

You have a very nice score there.

Posts: 491 | Location: St. Augustine, FL | Registered: April 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My small town department had us purchase our own sidearms. Had to be a .38 Special or .357 revolver. Department issued us Remington .38 +P ammunition. I first caried a Model 15 like yours. Like many I put on Pacmeyers and saved the wood grips. Later had the chance to get in on the department purchase of SW M-66s. I still have both and shoot them regularly, though I have to admit, not as often as I liked this past couple of years.

Posts: 781 | Location: KC Metro MO | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pizza Bob
posted Hide Post
Mars:

A fine S&W revolver like that demands the real thing...

Recommend Ken Driskill (as above) over on the S&W forum (bigmtnman) or Grashorn grips.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 1447 | Location: Central NJ | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wacopolumbo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
I am not "an old guy" so to speak. I grew up with 80s action flicks, wonder nines, HKs etc.

That said DAMN I LOVE ME A GOOD REVOLVER. Not only do they just exude class there is something so satisfyingly mechanical about shooting them, loading them etc. Even speed loaders are just sort of cool to me. You could give me that gun and a speed loader or two and I would feel perfectly adequately armed as well.

That is a beautiful piece. Enjoy it in good health.

I feel the same way. Well said!

Regards,
Waco

Learning from my mistakes since 1974...

Posts: 1713 | Location: Yorktown, VA | Registered: July 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice- I love the grain in the target grips. I'd keep them on the gun if it was me.

Posts: 263 | Registered: September 12, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
I started shooting with one of those. It was from the '60s, got it from a local cop when I was 15, the legal minimum to possess one. It was a great gun, sorry I ever got rid of it. My grips were the smaller old style type that fit the frame contours.

When I was in high school, used to go to abandoned farms with my buddy who drove a '38 Chevy pick up. Thanks for giving me the moment to remember.

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Slightly OT, but I gotta ask...

If you buy a used Smith like this, and wanted a different barrel length......... I've seen several used gun-parts vendors on-line which sell k-frame barrels. How big of a project would it be to get a different length barrel and install it?

It /looks/ like it's just a matter of removing a pin (if present) and unscrewing the thing and screwing the new one on and replacing the pin.

but it can't be that straightforward or others would be doing this all the time to get those coveted barrel lengths that everyone wants.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10860 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
Slightly OT, but I gotta ask...

If you buy a used Smith like this, and wanted a different barrel length......... I've seen several used gun-parts vendors on-line which sell k-frame barrels. How big of a project would it be to get a different length barrel and install it?

It /looks/ like it's just a matter of removing a pin (if present) and unscrewing the thing and screwing the new one on and replacing the pin.

but it can't be that straightforward or others would be doing this all the time to get those coveted barrel lengths that everyone wants.

It's not. The barrel has to be fitted and cylinder gap set. Best leave it to a good smith.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!