SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Picked Up A Smith and Wesson Model 15-3
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Picked Up A Smith and Wesson Model 15-3 Login/Join 
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted
It's been a banner year for purchases.

My final purchase has been this wonderful old 1970 Model 15-3. It was actually carried, but has almost no signs of ever being fired. The turn ring is very faint and cylinder super clean. The finish however, shows obvious signs of holster wear and the previous owner had the sight cut to a Model 14 contour.

Nothing I can't cast a high contrast insert into.

The lockwork is flawless. OMG, it has the best trigger of any weapon I have ever pulled. It's better than my 1985 Python by a major margin.

No lock, no cast pot metal parts, no plastic. Just good old craftsmanship made by masters.

It even came with this vintage holster that is right up my alley!

This is going to get a lot of target use at our BBQ N Shoots.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! My father was a Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Deputy in the late ‘60s / early ‘70s era - a four-inch Combat Masterpiece like yours was standard-issue for the LASD back then (all the way until the Beretta era in the ‘80s, actually, I think).

Enjoy that sixgun!

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
This one was a deputy's personal weapon for Norcross back in the 70's.

I bought it from the grandson that wants a Glock. Big Grin

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Very nice. Got a 28-2 Smith not to long ago, earlier to mid 70’s as I recall, looks similar.

Posts: 6158 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
Very nice. Got a 28-2 Smith not to long ago, earlier to mid 70’s as I recall, looks similar.

A State Patrol is an awesome weapon. It's based off the N Frame.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Picture of rmfnla
posted Hide Post
The used gun sweet spot; nice enough condition to not need refinishing, but not so perfect that you won't want to shoot it.

"I bought it from the grandson that wants a Glock." Kids... Roll Eyes

Today, my jurisdiction ends here…

Posts: 141 | Registered: August 21, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beautiful old 15, I’d have snagged that also!! You did very well sir.

Posts: 455 | Location: Marblehead ohio | Registered: January 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Older smiths are great, have a few, and they are on the favorites list, was always keeping an eye out for these at the LGS but they've stopped selling the used firearms in the stores and moved them to his mobile weekly Gun Shop Ops.

Maybe I'll head out to the next one...

BTW, much prefer them in their natural state vs redone to original, that looks great, holster and all.

Posts: 23423 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Nice!

They don't make them like that anymore (at least with my budget).

The finish is worn just about right. The holster adds a nice touch as well.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Beautiful, absolutely beautiful. Used, not abused. From another time, not all that long ago.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36840 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Very nice addition to your collection. S&W made terrific revolvers back in the day. Enjoy shooting this piece of the past capable of good use in the future.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1553 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My old USAF duty pistol. I hope to run across one someday and relive my wasted youth!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16086 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Very nice!!! I'm a sucker for a handgun with some history and good, honest wear. It looks like you scored a good one! I'm loving all the K-Frame posts lately Smile

Posts: 8564 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
This one was a deputy's personal weapon for Norcross back in the 70's.

I bought it from the grandson that wants a Glock. Big Grin

He will learn some good wisdom from that trade, IMO.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1955 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
He beat ME to it!
I sent him the link saying hey look at this Model 15!
Next thing I know it was marked sold and someone was on their way to Tucker GA.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39752 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
Nice one. I have a snubbie 15-3, a 1957 Model 15 and a pre model 15 from the forties. They are rock solid!

JEREMIAH 33:3

Posts: 2759 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice! Very nice!!

Posts: 794 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Magnificent. I just passed on a nice S&W 67 because I just can't justify another revolver that I don't shoot but would really like to own. I have a 10-6 that I got from Gander Mountain 11 years ago for $210 because nobody wants revolvers any more. Suckers.

Posts: 4658 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wacopolumbo
posted Hide Post
SAWEET! Nice pick-up!

Regards,
Waco

Learning from my mistakes since 1974...

Posts: 1713 | Location: Yorktown, VA | Registered: July 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Someone someday will have regrets they parted with it..

Posts: 13809 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post