SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Handgun Storage
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Handgun Storage Login/Join 
posted
Any advice for the best storage and preservation of handguns would be appreciated. I have a humidity controlled safe and the original boxes.
Thank you

Posts: 151 | Location: Asheville,NC | Registered: April 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Do not generally use the original boxes as most are foam lined and hold moisture. Boxes like Ruger uses that are all plastic should be fine.

I have found your best bet is to put them in a rack or lay them on a shelf. Let them breathe.

That has worked for me over the years.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with clinger. Don't put them in any case. Lay them on a shelf in your safe, keep them oiled, and use some sort of dehumidifier or can of desiccant.

Posts: 255 | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I don't "rotate" what I carry. So I oil mine well inside and outside, seal them in ZIPLOCK bags, and secure them in waterproof and air tight PELICAN cases. My safes have multiple DAMP-RID tubs and an electric rod. They latch tightly and in the event of an accidental drop, the cases and foam absorb the strike.

Just my opinion (and my luck) but leaving a gun loose in a safe is an invitation to something happening to them. For example, a fire. Safes are typically fire resistant only for a certain amount of time. The fire department may douse the safe with lots of water. Safes are not water proof.

Do with yours as you please.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
In a rack in the safe.

Golden rod in the safe.

Been doing that way forever and never had a problem. if you want to do more than that, have at it, but it's not required for corrosion resistance.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If your house in on fire where you store your guns, a plastic case won't offer much more protection, as far as, heat damage is concerned. Depending on the safe, you will get some protection but there are a lot of variables-construction of your house-wood or concrete, load in room,ammo. in the safe,intensity of the fire, your location from the nearest f.d.,etc.. For me water damage is minor compared to the gun falling onto the floor or part of the safe and getting dented or cracked,depending on gun type. I try to keep mine in a rack or a sleeve on the door.

I keep Damp Rid in the safe and a heating rod. Nothing is fool proof but keeping your firearms properly lubricated is a good start.

Posts: 6888 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
I have a small safe so I have to make the most of it. I lightly coat the exterior metal with Breakfree CLP and then put the pistol in a plastic freezer bag and fold over the excess bag and then put it inside a Bore Store. The Bore Store is soft and I can stack them on top of each other if need be. I don't live in area with high humidity though and safe is in an area that has heat and AC. I keep one of those small Eva-Dry 333 devices in it too and renew it monthly.

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CLP interior and exterior, multiple evadry units, leave in pistol rack. The ones I don't shoot or admire stay in factory cases.

If it's good enough to sit in a wherehouse or on a truck or a plane it's good enough for my safe.

-Freq

Posts: 192 | Registered: May 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I keep them in a safe (several safes). I don't have any dehumidifiers or special equipment. I have quite a few firearms, enough that there isn't time or opportunity to go through them all regularly. I keep them clean, lightly oiled, look them over when occasion allows, shoot them when the opportunity arises.

I don't keep firearms in their original boxes. I have no problems with corrosion or rust during carry, even inside the waistband or in a pocket; if firearms don't corrode under those circumstances, I have no concerns for them in the safe.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post