SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    A J-frame grip with thicker backstrap padding?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A J-frame grip with thicker backstrap padding? Login/Join 
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted
Hi all,

I have a S&W 442 with the standard plastic boot grip that I pocket carry on occasion. I don't shoot it very much right now, but I should. I'd like to find a new grip for it that has thicker padding on the backstrap (right now it has none) for better ergonomics and recoil absorption, yet maintains the two-finger boot style grip length for concealment. I've been unable to find anything. I'm surprised that Hogue doesn't offer this for a J frame, since they do for a Ruger LCR. I've considered a Crimson Trace laser grip since that has nice padding, but I'm not really looking to spend that much. Any ideas? Thanks.

Chris

Posts: 2336 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Lyman / Pachmyer makes the Diamond Pro rubber grip that adds to the back.

https://www.lymanproducts.com/...series.html?___SID=U

I tried some of their grips on a K-frame round butt, the were nice but I never tried them on a J-frame.

I eventually went to the Hogue grips that snap on without a screw, as the J-frame screws would always rust. It isn't a great recoil pad, but I carry it more for concealment than easy of shooting.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Brownell's shows these Hogue rubber grips for the J Frame...the pictures from the description shows the grip covering the back strap on the grip frame...that being said I do not know how much the rubber would reduce felt recoil over an exposed back strap...

https://www.brownells.com/hand...17605.aspx?rrec=true

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10588 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted Hide Post
Thanks for those replies so far, guys. Both of those grips do appear to have a rest for a 3rd finger, though, which I am hoping to avoid simply for ease of concealment. The Pachmyer grip isn't as pronounced as the Hogue though.

Posts: 2336 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Manufactures Rep.
Picture of Ken @ Hogue Inc
posted Hide Post
Hogue does in fact offer a grip that covers the back-strap for extra padding here

notice the hard plastic heal, aids in eliminating printing for conceal carry.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ken @ Hogue Inc,

Need technical help with Hogue products and your firearm?

Try the Hogue Knowledge Base for answers!

Hogue Gear
Holsters and more...
www.hogueinc.com
www.hogueknives.com www.heatedtoiletseat.com www.zombiegrips.com
Ken@hogueinc.com

View or Download your Catalog today;

2023 Catalog

2023 Knife Catalog

Hogue AR-15/ Catalog

Request a Catalog

Posts: 1597 | Location: Home Office, Paso Robles, CA -Headquarters, Henderson, NV. -W/Warehouses in San Diego, CA and Vienna, Austria | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Take the risk or
lose the chance
posted Hide Post
Pachmayr Compac.

----------------------------------------
“The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”

Posts: 1475 | Location: RR12 | Registered: February 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ken @ Hogue Inc:
Hogue does in fact offer a grip that covers the back-strap for extra padding here
notice the hard plastic heal, aids in eliminating printing for conceal carry.

Thanks, Ken. I was hoping you could chime in. The grip you linked to would be perfect for my needs if it didn't have the 3-finger length grip. If it was only 2-finger length, like a typical "boot/compact" grip, it would be awesome. Like this or this for the Ruger LCR but for a J Frame. Is something like that in the works?

Chris

Manufactures Rep.
Picture of Ken @ Hogue Inc
posted Hide Post
Nothing in the works at this time

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ken @ Hogue Inc,

Need technical help with Hogue products and your firearm?

Try the Hogue Knowledge Base for answers!

Hogue Gear
Holsters and more...
www.hogueinc.com
www.hogueknives.com www.heatedtoiletseat.com www.zombiegrips.com
Ken@hogueinc.com

View or Download your Catalog today;

2023 Catalog

2023 Knife Catalog

Hogue AR-15/ Catalog

Request a Catalog

Posts: 1597 | Location: Home Office, Paso Robles, CA -Headquarters, Henderson, NV. -W/Warehouses in San Diego, CA and Vienna, Austria | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try crimson trace I think LG-405 that’s what I have on my 637.

Posts: 140 | Location: Western New York | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
I have a set of Pachmayr Compac grips for my 642. Nice for range use, and waist carry. For pocket, though, they're way too thick and the rubber is very grabby.

I tried the Hogue monogrip in nylon instead of rubber, was very much not a fan of the hard plastic.

I ended up with a set of wood service stocks and a T-grip for pocket carry. Beats up my hand, but I can get 5-10 shots off pretty well. That's about all I shoot with these grips on, I'll move to the Pachmayr for more range work to practice the trigger and sights. Just need to be careful with my hands on the small grips, remember to tuck the thumbs to keep them out of the way of everything.

Posts: 6032 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
The crimson trace ones from the 340 are pretty effective. I don't ever use the laser but they take some of the sting out

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3214 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
CT 405’s on my Smith 638. It’s a bit spendy though it feels great.

Posts: 4611 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
Crimson Trace has one that has a "recoil reducer" built into it. It did reduce the recoil to the pad area between thumb and index finger but the grip twisted in my hand unless I had a death grip on it. I actually like the Delta Ergo Grip shown below. I don't pocket carry my J-Frames but I do have a great ankle holster for them, along with a great IWB holster. I now really like shooting the .357 J Frames with the Delta Ergo grip.

Posts: 3938 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
These might do the trick. They are out of production so they can be pricey. 24AAOSwmT1cDHpb:rk:2Razzf:1&frcectupt=true" target="_blank">Link to ebay

Not sure if they cover the back strap but they do reduce recoil. I own both the standard, the hogue and the uncle mikes.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Hogue “Tamer” is what you want. All the others pale by comparison with respect to reccoil absorption.

Also, assess your ammo. I have found the Federal Match 148Gr wadcutter @ 690 FPS is about the mildest you can get by with. Winchester 125 gr soft FP @ 725 is pretty mild as well.

Good shootin’

Posts: 1153 | Location: Decatur, GA | Registered: November 14, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sox:
Winchester 125 gr soft FP @ 725 is pretty mild as well.

I will second your comment.

I carry this in my 642 - it is not a hi-tech defense round but if I use my 642 for SD- I am probably firing at a distance of 5'.

Very easy to control 'quick pairs' double action.

https://www.natchezss.com/winc...25-gr-jsp-50-ct.html

-----------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iraIII:
Try crimson trace I think LG-405 that’s what I have on my 637.

^This..

I had that grip on my 642.
It has a little 'pocket' on the top of the back strap.

I've since sold the grip and the gun.
But I'm considering getting another Ruger or S&W j-frame.

Posts: 4366 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post