SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    It's 2022! Why can't we have a pistol optic with a prismatic reticle?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It's 2022! Why can't we have a pistol optic with a prismatic reticle? Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted
Must be contrary to one of the most basic laws of physics?

I mean, I have it on good authority that we (Americans) planted the Stars and Stripes on Mars more than half a century ago, Shirley, we could engineer a long eye relief pistol sight with a prismatic reticle by now.

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Prismatic sights are barely mainstream on long guns. I suspect that miniaturizing the technology for a pistol sight is both challenging and a function of perceived demand. Even EOTech finally gave up on a holographic pistol sight and is going to release an LED res dot like everybody else.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good things, many devils
posted Hide Post
Prismatic sights also have eye relief limitations compared to red dots, something that would be very problematic for pistols.

Posts: 399 | Location: KS | Registered: August 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Yes, guido_sst, its the eye relief challenge that I wonder if there's an optical engineering answer for.

DaBigBR, my Bushnell LilP is small enough for handguns (tried on my SW22 Victory), but the eye relief ... no go!

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
Yes, guido_sst, its the eye relief challenge that I wonder if there's an optical engineering answer for.

Potentially, but a lot of it comes down to the physics of lenses and light transmission/focus.

I do not believe it is possible to have a prismatic optic with unlimited eye relief like a red dot, where the dot is visible from any distance and any (reasonable) orientation.

But it's possible they could eventually develop a prismatic optic with a generous enough eye box that it could be similar. (Kinda like how they developed magnified handgun scopes with long eye relief and slightly more generous eye boxes than traditional rifle scopes.)

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post