Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P365 Q&A Login/Join 
posted
Hello all,

P365 production is still increasing as we continue to build capacity to meet incredible demand. We have shipped tens of thousands of P365s with overwhelmingly positive responses not only from our commercial customers, but from law enforcement and professional end users around the world. In my 25 years of law enforcement and industry experience, I have rarely seen this level of excitement and positive reception around any single firearm. Although there have been a limited number of striker and trigger return spring issues with this new platform, our return rates for these two parts are still extremely low…approximately 0.25% combined, which we believe is below industry standards for any type of return.

The P365 has received an unprecedented amount of praise and activity both in social and traditional media. However, in the age of the internet, readers are sometimes exposed to grossly inflated or even non-existent issues. To address some of these concerns, we have compiled the most prevalent questions we’re seeing online and in our customer service department.

Q: Can I safely dry-fire my P365?
A: Yes. We’ve dry-fired thousands of repetitions on our test guns and production models with no failures. It should always be recommended to use a snap-cap or similar device during dry-fire practice for any firearm, but it is not required.

Q: Why does Sig Sauer use a MIM striker?
A: Metal Injection Molding (MIM) is used for complicated metal parts that would be impossible or overly complicated to effectively machine. MIM technology is used throughout the firearm industry to manufacture small parts, including strikers, hammers, sears, triggers, and most integral gun parts. Moreover, our strikers are made from S7 tooled steel to ensure maximum strength and endurance.

Q: What is “primer drag” and does it cause striker breakages?
A: No. “Primer drag” is found on fired cases and is simply a drag mark slightly below the indent in the primer. It is caused by the pistol barrel unlocking while the striker is returning back to its recessed position. This is not uncommon, and happens in most striker-fired micro compact pistols due to the increased slide speed. The protrusion of the striker tip during ignition is minimal and has no effect on the striker’s durability.

Q: What are the chances of my striker breaking or trigger return spring coming off?
A: Extremely small. Currently, returns for strikers and trigger return springs account for 0.25% of all P365s shipped, combined. Although these numbers are extremely low, Sig Sauer will continue to evaluate all of our firearms to ensure that they meet the most stringent standards we have set for ourselves and that you have come to expect.

Q: If I install an aftermarket striker in my P365, will it void the warranty?
A: Technically, installation of aftermarket parts voids the warranty. However, Sig Sauer would most likely cover unrelated returns including, but not limited to, defective sights, out of the ordinary cosmetic wear, magazine issues, etc. Examples of repairs that would not be warrantied would be those that could be traced to an affected part including, but not limited to, light primer strikes, pierced primers, primer flow, trigger reset problems, etc.

Internet banter would have our customers believe that striker and trigger return spring issues are widespread. In reality, these returns are no greater than any other potential customer service return. Our return rates continue to remain below industry standards as a whole, and we will continue to stand behind our product line.

If you have questions about the P365 or any Sig Sauer product, please contact our customer service department at (603)610-3000.

Posts: 4 | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sgtbrock
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. Will there be a safety version in the near future?

Posts: 15 | Location: Florida | Registered: April 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sgtbrock:

Same question I have.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
Pretty neat of you to come on here and update us.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Decker:
quote:

Same question I have.

That is the intent. Unfortunately, I don't have a solid ship date yet. Hopefully, we'll know more soon.

Posts: 4 | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
Phil,

Any idear of a serial number range for the striker breaking and or spring?

Posts: 1363 | Location: OK | Registered: April 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
Thank you Mr Strader, for your input concerning the 365s.

I'm pleased with the feel and performance of my 365, ( 27 April 2018 ).

One thing I noticed recently at the small local gun shop I work at, starting around the May time frame, 365s built from that month forward have been delivered in a new style, smaller case, compared to my April and previously built 365s having the somewhat larger, SIG pistol case.

Is this new smaller 365 case unique to current production 365s or will it be used for other small SIG pistols such as the 238s and 938s? Any other reasoning for this switch to a smaller case, aside from the obvious reduction in bulk?

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sgtbrock
posted Hide Post
Be nice to know what % of 365,s fired over 1000 rds have had a problem.

Posts: 15 | Location: Florida | Registered: April 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The info is much appreciated. I will reconsider purchasing this weapon.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vote the
BASTIDS OUT!
Picture of yanici
posted Hide Post
quote:
Be nice to know what % of 365,s fired over 1000 rds have had a problem.

Yes, but I would like a % of failure at 5000 rounds.

John

"Building a wall will violate the rights of millions of illegals." [Nancy Pelosi]

Posts: 2402 | Location: N.E. Massachusetts | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr Strader

I hope that you will directly answer one simple question?

Has Sig taken steps (re: design modification, higher QC, etc) to completely eliminate the striker drag on the P365? Yes or No

If yes, please detail those steps.

Thank You

Posts: 45 | Registered: May 29, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He just said no steps, and that the striker drag is not considered a problem.

quote:
Q: What is “primer drag” and does it cause striker breakages?
A: No. “Primer drag” is found on fired cases and is simply a drag mark slightly below the indent in the primer. It is caused by the pistol barrel unlocking while the striker is returning back to its recessed position. This is not uncommon, and happens in most striker-fired micro compact pistols due to the increased slide speed. The protrusion of the striker tip during ignition is minimal and has no effect on the striker’s durability.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cobra21:

This post is an excellent example of why, IMO, one should always - always - have a separator when using a signature line.

I am pretty sure that Cobra21 did not mean the post the way it looks in its entirety - what was typed in, was only the sentence quoted above.

But when there is a signature set up, it just gets added automatically and you don't get to see it in context when you create your posts.

So, this is how it looks with the signature added, as a whole, in the thread (vs. being quoted in reply)
quote:

It can be read as sort-of implying something other than honesty was involved in the OP, which I do not believe was the intent. However, if it had had a signature separator, the meaning of the post itself would have been pretty evident. Here's how it would have looked:
quote:

Anyway, that's the public service announcement for those using signatures. Please, please, put a separator in.

Sometimes the signature is a humorous quotation or joke generally funny and harmless 99% of the time, but which shows up jarringly in some posts in condolence threads. In this case, it was a general exhortation to honesty that showed up out of context, to potentially contradict the kind words to the SIG rep.

Speaking of whom, a big "thank you" to Mr. Strader for keeping us informed directly.

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cremaley
posted Hide Post
Thanks Phil for updating us on the early issues with the P365. Mine was one that had the striker replaced and has been running flawlessly ever since. Its my EDC but before loading I check to see the tip of the striker is still intact. I do this with all of my striker fire pistols. Once this is done I load, holster and carry with confidence.

Sig P320 X-Compact 9mm
Bul SAS 11 UL 9mm
US Army Veteran
NRA Member

"Remember the first rule of gunfighting...have a gun"-Jeff Cooper

Posts: 152 | Location: Alpharetta, Georgia. | Registered: June 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil Strader:
quote:
On manual safety P365s:

That is the intent. Unfortunately, I don't have a solid ship date yet. Hopefully, we'll know more soon.

Thank you, Phil!

Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hatchee:
Mr Strader

Has Sig taken steps (re: design modification, higher QC, etc) to completely eliminate the striker drag on the P365? Yes or No

Thank You

an interesting video on youtube shows the Glock 43, M&P shield and Sig P365 ALL have this drag.

To Hatchee...please contact Glock and S&W to inquire about their "problem" as well.

Thanks Mr Strader for the update.

Love my Sigs but carry my Glocks

Posts: 373 | Registered: February 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen this occur with my G43 at all, or with the Shield. It's very evident on the P365, but then a number of different firearms have signature indentations on primers. Glocks are unmistakable. I've never seen one drag, though.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Internet banter would have our customers believe that striker and trigger return spring issues are widespread. In reality, these returns are no greater than any other potential customer service return.

If your striker breaks or trigger return spring comes off then it is a big issue to you. My trigger spring came off after 65 rounds. And after a week with hearing back on a return label, I removed the trigger assembly and re-installed it after turning it over. Now have another 210 rounds thru it with only a few failures of the slide locking back on the last round.

Posts: 32 | Registered: September 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by whisky22:
quote:
Mr Strader

Thank You

an interesting video on youtube shows the Glock 43, M&P shield and Sig P365 ALL have this drag.

To Hatchee...please contact Glock and S&W to inquire about their "problem" as well.

I have put more than 100,000 rounds downrange with Glocks and have not seen any of the Sig 365 Primer Drag occurring.

Posts: 604 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBP55:
quote:
Originally posted by whisky22:
quote:
Mr Strader

Thank You

I have put more than 100,000 rounds downrange with Glocks and have not seen any of the Sig 365 Primer Drag occurring.

He said micro striker fired pistols. Have you seen this on the G43 or not?

Posts: 12436 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post