SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Rock Island Armory 1911 full rail…talk me out of it
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rock Island Armory 1911 full rail…talk me out of it Login/Join 
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
It's a ho hum plain jane 9mm 1911 with no frills besides the rail. As long as you manage expectations, it won't disappoint. It's also a great starting place if you want to customize the gun in the future.

Posts: 4178 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Hopefully I’ll have it later this week or early next week. I’ll post up more when I have it.

I know it’s just a cheap affordable 1911 with a rail but I’m pretty dang excited! Big Grin

What do you guys recommend for a weapon light/laser combo?

I have, among other lights/lasers, a Streamlight TLR-8G that is pretty nice. The switch arrangement is better on the 8 than the 7 and I wouldn't call it unusual on the 8.

Posts: 6620 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by photoman12001:
I typically don’t like 1911s with rails but that looks pretty good .

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3450 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by photoman12001:
I typically don’t like 1911s with rails but that looks pretty good.

I agree, though I promise I'll only say it once. Wink

I've long been a sucker for full dust cover 1911s, rail or rail-less.

-MG

Posts: 1993 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stickman428- let us know what you think once you get it.

I have that model, but I also have 1 other RIA 1911, and two others that use RIA frame and/or slide to complete the gun.

They work. They work well. If they don't work well, RIA will make it work well. They leave a lot of ammo money in the bank.

They aren't as 'sexy' as a $3-6K 1911, but they are NOT meant to be a $3-6K 1911. They are a really solid entry-level 1911.

I could tell a long-winded story, but the upshot is that I've had multiple times that people at the range were surprised by how tight of groups I was getting with my RIA- because it was a RIA.

Sigs and Non-Sigs: I enjoy having options!

Posts: 684 | Location: South San Joaquin Valley, CA | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Years ago I sold off a Kimber TLE/RL to loosen up some cash. Ever since I’ve been hoping to eventually add a railed 1911 back to the collection.

Rock Island Armory’s TAC Standard FS
45 ACP with that long rail and pretty affordable price tag is tempting me!!!

Are these decent guns?

I'm a big fan of RIA pistols. It's hard to go wrong with one.

It won't affect your choice, but for tinkerers RIA uses Para ramped barrels in all calibers (but .45) AND have a short flared muzzle, and the slides (that I have) do not have a bushing cut which makes barrel selections limited.

Their .45's are unramped Colt style so they're easier to find.

Posts: 68 | Registered: June 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All I will say is that it's sacrilege to put rails on a 1911. Take a wonderful profile and make it big fat and ugly like every other plastic wondergun out there.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5647 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I picked it up today along with a Beretta APX A1 Carry.

The RIA has a VERY nice slide to frame fit. As I was expecting it’s heavy but my first impression handling it today was positive.

I can’t wait to get some range time in and see how it shoots.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post