SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Rock Island Armory 1911 full rail…talk me out of it
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rock Island Armory 1911 full rail…talk me out of it Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted
Years ago I sold off a Kimber TLE/RL to loosen up some cash. Ever since I’ve been hoping to eventually add a railed 1911 back to the collection.

Rock Island Armory’s TAC Standard FS
45 ACP with that long rail and pretty affordable price tag is tempting me!!!

Are these decent guns?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a Citadel (which is made the same people-Armscor) and it was trouble free. Accurate and reliable.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16093 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
The biggest complaint I have ever heard about the Rock Island/Armscor 1911 pistols is that in a HEAVY USE competition arena, they will loosen up/wear faster than more expensive 1911s.
That being said, I currently have two…both in 10mm, one single stack and the other double stack.
I do operate in a heavy use competition arena. Smile
I mainly carry the single stack around the ranch whilst doing chores

I have had other RIA 1911 pistols and had very few problems with them;
A full size in 45
A double stack in 9MM (LOTS of fun)
Even one of the 22TCM/9MM pistols. The TCM is a fun little round.

I traded those off, but it wasn’t because of issues.

They are heavy. In fact, the single stack RIA is heavier than my stainless Ruger sr1911 10mm.

My single stack 10mm did have issues when new. It was peeling brass off the next round in the mag. I sent it back twice. Second time they shipped me a new gun. Flawless ever since.

I tried Wilson mags in this pistol…turned it into a single shot. It seems to prefer the cheapest metalform mags I can find. YMMV.

Posts: 6305 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I typically don’t like 1911s with rails but that looks pretty good.

============================================
Photographs: https://photobucket.com/u/photoman12001
-----------------------------------
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/photoman12001/
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/photoman12001/videos

Posts: 1741 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: December 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1741 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: December 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bearverine
posted Hide Post
Talk you out of it? Nope.

As honor follows service, so the westerner travels to the east.

Posts: 478 | Location: Winchester, Indiana | Registered: April 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hudr:
The biggest complaint I have ever heard about the Rock Island/Armscor 1911 pistols is that in a HEAVY USE competition arena, they will loosen up/wear faster than more expensive 1911s.
That being said, I currently have two…both in 10mm, one single stack and the other double stack.
I do operate in a heavy use competition arena. Smile
I mainly carry the single stack around the ranch whilst doing chores

I have had other RIA 1911 pistols and had very few problems with them;
A full size in 45
A double stack in 9MM (LOTS of fun)
Even one of the 22TCM/9MM pistols. The TCM is a fun little round.

I traded those off, but it wasn’t because of issues.

They are heavy. In fact, the single stack RIA is heavier than my stainless Ruger sr1911 10mm.

My single stack 10mm did have issues when new. It was peeling brass off the next round in the mag. I sent it back twice. Second time they shipped me a new gun. Flawless ever since.

I tried Wilson mags in this pistol…turned it into a single shot. It seems to prefer the cheapest metalform mags I can find. YMMV.

Thank you for the detailed post! You sold me on it. Cool

Thank you to everyone who responded. I wasn’t exactly expecting y’all to talk me out of it unless it was a jam-o-matic with a known history of issues which if memory serves me correct doesn’t describe RIA’s products at all.

You guys are gonna be seeing me more often in this forum sub section going forward.

I will soon have a railed 1911 again! Big Grin Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I had a full size 9mm that ran like a champ. I sold it to the son of a my best friend.

My only compliant was the grip was a bit bigger than a standard 1911. I have small hands and found it odd.

Posts: 5620 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
A coworker got a 10mm version and had trouble with mags dropping out randomly. I suggested he try a different mag catch spring. He got a whole catch/spring kit and told me that it fixed it, much stronger spring, and the catch had better engagement.

It’s funny, just yesterday I was looking at what companies made railed commanders in 10mm, and RIA is one of the few. Kinda tempted.

Posts: 9964 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I actually owned two Citadels. The first one I had exhibited a common 1911 problem: slide lock with one round still in the mag. Poorly fitted slide release lever. Off it went to Pahrump with a whiny letter attached mentioning the fault.
Armscor turned it around in less than two weeks. Pretty good service. That experience led me to buy a second Citadel which ran like a top.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16093 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
I had a RI a few years back that I got for under $400. I remember hearing a lot of praise for them and thought it would be great. It was barely a meh pistol for me. Had a few teething issues and fit and finish was mediocre. I wouldn’t buy one again. For nearly the same money you can get a Tisas and for a couple hundred more you can get an entry Springfield.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: LincolnSixEcho,

Posts: 4611 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
The entry Springfield 1911 experience and their customer care (or lack there of) was bad enough to sour me on the brand completely.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

posted Hide Post
Dont know where you're looking, but Psa has them sub $400

I mb have the ultra or whatever they call the adjuatable sights and g10 grips model. Its ok, shoots well enough and was good for what I have in it. I will second the weight issues above and the finish is kind of meh. But, it will shoot well and ran reliably as I remember it.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2741 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfe 21:
Dont know where you're looking, but Psa has them sub $400

I mb have the ultra or whatever they call the adjuatable sights and g10 grips model. It’s ok, shoots well enough and was good for what I have in it. I will second the weight issues above and the finish is kind of meh. But, it will shoot well and ran reliably as I remember it.

Yep! That’s the model I got from Palmetto State. It’s a pretty good price and I’ve been missing my railed TLE/RL. Hopefully this one is more reliable than the Kimber.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
Stickman428;

I noticed a typo in my post…I do NOT operate in a heavy competition environment.
I wanted to clarify that in case it played into your decision.

Otherwise, you’re welcome. This is, of course, the wrong place to frequent to be talked OUT of a new gun.

I’ve been pleased with my RIA pistols.
I hope you enjoy yours as well.

Posts: 6305 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
hudr, No worries. The only thing I shoot a high volume of these days is 22lr. Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

posted Hide Post

PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
I don’t typically like 1911’s with rails but I wouldn’t talk you out of it.

0:01

Posts: 4211 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Hopefully I’ll have it later this week or early next week. I’ll post up more when I have it.

I know it’s just a cheap affordable 1911 with a rail but I’m pretty dang excited! Big Grin

What do you guys recommend for a weapon light/laser combo?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I had that exact gun for a while. It shot very well. The only issue I had with it was it tended to lock the slide back prematurely, while there were still rounds in the magazine. Not a magazine problem, it did it with any mag including a bunch that work perfectly in other guns. Just something about the slide release made it want to flip up and lock. I'd bought the thing to be a nightstand gun, and obviously it wasn't suited to that given it's behavior so it had to go. It was a great range toy though.

For the light/laser, I have an old Streamlight M6 that works fine. I bought a newer TLR-2, but the switch that controls light vs laser vs light+laser, never worked right. A lot of the time the laser just wouldn't come on. It sits in a box someplace, now. If you can live with the unusual switch arrangement, the new TLR-7/8 is a good option.

Posts: 7268 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post