SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Bass Pro vs LGS vs PSA
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bass Pro vs LGS vs PSA Login/Join 
posted
I’m curious about the Bad experiences I read about when buying guns from Academy Sports, Bass Pro Shops, PSA vs the LGS. I live in a small town with only one real LGS. I’m 1 1/2 hours from BPS and PSA. 30 min from Academy. I bought 4 guns since Oct. 3 at Academy and 1 at BPS. The LGS doesn’t stock Sig or HK but will order it. I got terrific pricing from BPS and Academy and had good experiences. I may buy a HK45 from PSA as they have it on sale now. I travel a lot for work so I will be in Savannah in two weeks to buy it. Should I give the LGS the chance to price match? I feel weird about that but don’t know why. I do buy ammo from them but I have no relationship there.

Posts: 70 | Location: Southeast Georgia  | Registered: February 04, 2024Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have bought a few pistols from Bass Pro and the only complaint I had, which nothing can/could be done about, was with how long the lines were/are when I go to buy one. They have pretty good sales occasionally and give discounts to those that qualify, so many people will be there. It is not really a complaint but about the only thing I can say that is remotely negative. You will go through many checks of the paperwork prior to being allowed to leave with your gun but I understand why. The staff has always been friendly.

My local gun store, has some great deals on used guns and my biggest complaint is that they may cause me to get a divorce due to how many I buy. It is not a lot but I think I may have sent a few workers to Disney Land when I shop there. Wink

Posts: 6888 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
I only bought one handgun at BPS and a few different long guns from them and Cabelas. No issues with any of the purchases. The closest LGS is pretty proud of their inventory and offer no bargains. My former dealer was one of the dealers the ATF pressured out of business last year and my new dealer is a little drive away but close to my range. They’ll order things for me and I usually give them a chance, but he is also cool with transfers if they can’t match a price. I have had no issues with PSA over the years but haven’t bought from them recently.

Posts: 2960 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vaftocr:
Should I give the LGS the chance to price match? I feel weird about that but don’t know why. I do buy ammo from them but I have no relationship there.
A great deal from an online dealer or big box gun shop is often the same or lower than what a LGS can get it for. Some LGS like the opportunity to price match or counter w/ their best deal. Some resent that you're not "supporting local," and that's often reflected in how much they charge for FFL transfers.

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
The buying process is almost always easier from a local place than a big-box retailer. Last time I went into a "chain" gun store, it took almost an hour to do the paperwork and then get "perp-walked" to the front registerer then out the door with my boxed up unloaded gun Roll Eyes. They had a computer system that was clunky, and then it still had to be checked and confirmed by two different staff members multiple times, both of which kept getting called away to do other stuff.

It's a huge PITA compared to going into my local place, having a conversation with the owner for a bit, filling out my the paper form, and then leaving with my gun after passing the background and paying. His prices are sometimes a little higher, but he has a more interesting used selection and the whole experience is a lot more enjoyable.

Posts: 8573 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LGS around me are notably higher priced. Not like $20-50, but $100 or more. I shop for the best price, and am never in a rush to get something. So I get an idea of going prices and set a price in my head that I’m willing to buy at, then wait to see if a sale pops up. That price is never at a box box/BPS. The last time I used a LGS was in 2011, when I ordered a Colt anniversary. Most things I buy from PSA, Aimsurplus, with one-offs from Sarco or KYgunco or Arms of America.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe I'm stubborn, but went to SW 20 years ago to buy my first handgun. I had questions and til this day take more time to make sure being left handed isn't going to be frustrating.

Couldn't care less about answering questions and had an attitude. Never went to a big box store again.

Online - don't want a three party transaction if things go south.

LGS are best. The place I use today is helpful, friendly and either matches big box prices or is a few bucks more, maybe $25 which I gladly pay for the service. I just don't buy ammo there due to the cost difference.

Posts: 6 | Registered: February 12, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've bought from a couple big box stores in the past and echo what was noted earlier - approval process was not efficient, computer system slow and the counter guy easily distracted by other shoppers.

In my case, they were the only store who had a specific SIG that I wanted (out of production model). I prefer to avoid big box stores otherwise.

LGS both here & in south Florida were great stores, friendly knowledgeable staff, good inventory. Would prefer to buy from them 100% of the time, even if online was cheaper but they wouldn't do orders for models they didn't stock. "Use Gunbroker and we'll handle the transfer"

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1936 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
I have bought from Cabelas a few times with no real issues or complaints.

In Texas if you have a CCarry license you get instant approval so no waiting or delays.

Both times they were on sale so it made pricing competitive with anything else i could have found.

Might have saved a few dollars buying online but then the wait begins and dealing with my ffl.

Sometimes it’s worth it to pay a little more to get it now.

Posts: 18035 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I won’t even go in Bass Pro. I would shop Palmetto if there was one nearby.

I prefer vintage (used) stuff for the most part, if it’s priced reasonably, so the LGS gets my business.

Posts: 26911 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
I buy stuff at Cabela's (now owned by Bass Pro) because I have a Cabela's Club visa and earn points by buying fuel. Otherwise I don't think I'd bother. It's a PITA whenever you buy a gun. Takes an hour, no joke. Prices are never great. Once in a while you find a fair deal but generally they are more expensive than anywhere else pretty much.

I hear good things about Academy but haven't tried.

Scheels and Sportsman's Warehouse are good places IMO. Worth the trouble. Scheels prices aren't spectacular either but their service is good.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3212 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tbgb50:
Maybe I'm stubborn, but went to SW 20 years ago to buy my first handgun. I had questions and til this day take more time to make sure being left handed isn't going to be frustrating.

Couldn't care less about answering questions and had an attitude. Never went to a big box store again.

Online - don't want a three party transaction if things go south.

LGS are best. The place I use today is helpful, friendly and either matches big box prices or is a few bucks more, maybe $25 which I gladly pay for the service. I just don't buy ammo there due to the cost difference.

I kind of agree with the online portion. Thankfully,I live in Ga and can buy in PSAs shop.
I’m about to buy an HK 45. It’s $649 right now. If it was only $50 more at my LGS I would buy it there. In this case it’s about $150 more.
As for ammo, I do buy it at the LGS as it is typically cheaper than Freedom Munitions for .9mm and .22lr.

Posts: 70 | Location: Southeast Georgia  | Registered: February 04, 2024Reply With QuoteReport This Post