SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Looking to possibly buy my first Colt Sa 22LR revolver
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking to possibly buy my first Colt Sa 22LR revolver Login/Join 
posted
I have absolutely no knowledge in Colt 22 SA revolvers. My LGS has a nice Colt Peacemaker 4.4" dual having the 22 and 22 mag cylinder. The serial puts it at 1974. The condition is used but looking much like a safe queen. Box is included but certainly not in "collector" condition.

If I reach out to buy just one Colt SA 22 and call it quits, would this be one to jump on or pass on?

My point is, I will ONLY buy just ONE Colt SA 22, is this one worth buying or pass?

Asking price is $895

Thanks

Posts: 159 | Location: PA | Registered: December 12, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
The Peacemakers and Frontiers in .22 Mag are an absolute hoot to shoot. I have a 1961 Frontier that is nickel-plated and .22 Mag. A crowd pleaser every time it goes to the range.
New Frontiers had the awful “modern” ramp sights, and not attractive at all.
If you like it and the price seems good for its condition … that’s all that matters.
Last thing; you can’t buy just one. Unpossible.

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Last thing; you can’t buy just one. Unpossible.

This is exactly why I made a point to say "just ONE".
I have entered the OCD of various platforms to where it was not possible to stop at ONE.

I am close to retirement and adding the SA revolvers has to be ONE of each Colt and Ruger, DONE!

Thanks

Posts: 159 | Location: PA | Registered: December 12, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am no Colt expert. At all. I bought a nickel Colt Frontier Scout. Just the 22lr cylinder. I paid less than that but with both cylinders I know that is an upgrade. I believe the Frontier Scout is built on a smaller frame than the peacemakers. It is fun to take out on occasion. Hard not to like the pony. For actual shooting a bunch I bought a Uberti clone in 22 which funny enough came with the 22 Mag cylinder.

I can't talk to price being good or not but I can say I like having a real Colt in the safe.

Posts: 7521 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a NIB Peacemaker .22 about 16 years ago from an estate sale.Great revolver,fun to shoot.Made in the late 60s.

Posts: 95 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: July 26, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
If you want/need adjustable sights, go for a New Frontier.

If you want the tradition Single Action Army look, get the Peacemaker over the Frontier Scouts. The Peacemakers have a forged steel frame, true case color hardening, etc., as opposed to the cast lighter frames of the Scouts. The Peacemakers also have more "value" to collectors as time goes on. We're not talking Gold vs Silver, just some value. $895 seems a tad high but in todays Colt world, not that much, especially with both cylinders and box/etc. They aren't getting easier to find, especially in that described condition.

I love my Scout's as well, especially the nickel ones but comparing them to the Peacemakers, there's a distinct difference and the Peacemaker wins.

Posts: 824 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post