SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Did Sig ever make a P227 in .38 Super?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Did Sig ever make a P227 in .38 Super? Login/Join 
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted
...Well they should have!

So about a month and a half ago, I get this crazy idea. No not that one! Eek Converting a P227 to run on 38 Super.

Bought a few 10rd magazines to play with. Seems like the trick to making Glock magazines hold 38s works on Sig mags as well.

Time to find a host? Found out a P227 SAS was made without the rail. Would look right at home with my German P220s either way.

The easy part was finding a P220 upper that is already in 38 Super (I have several spares) that I could test it with.

The SAS was a task to track down. Then it did not want to play nice. I had to modify the take down lever and I'm all set. Right?

Wrong! The slide release was having its own fits to deal with. Mad At least I'd still have an extra 45 Auto if it didn't work.

(I bought spare parts to deal with, keeping the original parts that came with each pistol intact.) Adjust. Tweak. Oil. Repeat. Finally!

The mags I got were all different. One holds 17 rounds, the other holds 16 rounds, and the last one must have the wrong spring as

it holds only 15 rounds. Off to find a P227 14rd magazine... Yikes! I wish my 401k went up that much! End of...

Seems like a 2011 magazine would fit. It has to be cheaper than the 14rd magazine? Took some adjustments, now I have a 26 round P227 mag. Cool

Anyway, Manually cycling the slide with each magazine had no problems that couldn't be ruled out as user error.

Today I was able to fire 75 rounds from four magazines starting with one in the chamber.

Runs as accurate and smooth as I could have hoped for. That and I can swap it back to a .45 at any time.

Next time to the range I may run out of 38s as I'll bring this one and both Glocks. Big Grin

Has anybody else tried such a thing?

Posts: 9142 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
I have not, but kudos to you for undertaking such a project Cool!

Mike

You can run, but you cannot hide.

If you won't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Posts: 4929 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: January 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Awesome project! Glad you got it to work, and especially interesting that the 2011 mag works as well. Not that I have anything in .38 Super or a need to modify any Glock mags at this time, but to assuage my curiosity, what's the trick to modifying .45 ACP Glock mags that you referred to?

Posts: 8541 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Was able to get Glock 10mm magazines to work best. Stuck with those for both pistols.
The Glock mags were a lot more difficult when a Kriss Vector mag extension was used.
Had to make the followers from scratch because the Glock followers wouldn't work at all.

Posts: 9142 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
Making new followers from scratch is not a trick. It is manufacturing. Did you whittle them from a block of plastic? I'd like to see that.

Posts: 3375 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
That does make sense...I've run 9mm out of .40 mags with no problems, so it stands to reason that a .38 Super would run out of a 10mm mag.

Posts: 8541 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
That is fricken' awesome!!!

Thank you for sharing this project with us.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36838 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That’s awesome

Posts: 568 | Location: Beaumont TX | Registered: March 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of deadmanmike
posted Hide Post
How much did you have to modify the 2011 mag to work? Seems like they could work in 45ACP too

=============
Certified Sig P-Series Armorer
Certified AR-15/M16/M4 Armorer
Certified 1911 Armorer
Certified Glock Armorer
Certified Sig P320 Armorer
Certified Glock Advanced Armorer
Certified MPX Armorer
Certified MCX Armorer

Posts: 1587 | Registered: June 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
That’s really slick!

I don’t think I’ve ever read a disparaging word about the .38 Super cartridge - I need to give that round a whirl sometime!

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deadmanmike:
How much did you have to modify the 2011 mag to work?

The only thing that I had to do to use the 2011 magazine in the P227 was cut a new notch for the mag release.

It was about 1/4 inch lower than the 2011 notch. The mag still works in the 2011 so now I can use it in both.

To cut the notch, I removed the mag release from the Sig. Slid the magazine in where it would feed the ammo, but not too close to the slide.

Painted a line for the center of the mag catch opening and cut the notch for the mag release based on the mag release assembly dimensions.

As far as trying the same with a magazine in .45 ACP, I don't have a .45 2011 to try it with.

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry, I don't know from 1911s in general, but who made the 2011 magazine?

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
The 2011 magazine that I was able to get to work was made by Strayer-Voigt.

The other P227 magazines were given a blank baseplate to differentiate them from the mags that use 45 Auto.