SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Do you guys use a heavy thread locker for front Glock sights?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you guys use a heavy thread locker for front Glock sights? Login/Join 
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted
Well it’s been like 14 years since my last Glock sight install and since I am devoting more time to my Glocks as of late it’s time for a sight refresh. The old sights are dim and I want to put on a more modern ameriglo/trij. HD type setup. Do you guys use a basic blue loctite or a heavier red loctite on the fronts? It’s been so long since I did sights on a Glock I don’t remember what I used.

As always thanks much,
Chris

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
I use red. but you'll have to break/rip the thing off if you ever want to change the sight again.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3210 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Loctite 242 is what Dawson Precision recommends and they probably have more experience than any other company out there.

https://dawsonprecision.com/loctite-adhesive/

I've used it on 3 of Mrs. Flash's Glocks when I changed sights and they haven't loosened up a bit.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
Yup, Blue here also, never had a loose sight

Posts: 3548 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
You might consider Vibra-Tite VC-3

Unlike Loctite, Vibra-Tite cures to a rubbery compound, which holds screws securely, but allows you to remove a screw and put it back in place two or three times before you need to reapply it to the threads. Loctite behaves like concrete. In my opinion, Vibra-Tite is a superior choice. I use it on the screws for front sights of pistols and on the screws for scope rings.

If you're certain that you will never remove a screw, use Loctite, but if there is any chance that you might want to remove that screw and put it back in, use Vibra-Tite.

Removing Loctite from screw threads- especially fine threads- can be a real pain. Vibra-Tite, on the other hand, peels off screw threads like rubber and leaves behind no residue in the threads- a world of difference.

Posts: 107578 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to use blue loctite on grips and sites. Switched over to vibra-tite. Both worked but like para said when you remove the grip screws or sites it's easier to clen up.

Posts: 1570 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Thanks all very much. I’ve used Vibra-Tite on other things but never on a firearm. Might give it a try for this set of front sight installs…….I’ll re-evaluate in about 14 years. Smile

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And if you sniff Vibr-Tite you can get really high. Jeez what's in that stuff...

Posts: 4713 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I switched us to vibra-tite awhile ago, it's perfect for sights

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackwater
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
I switched us to vibra-tite awhile ago, it's perfect for sights

Me too for irons and set screws for Optics.
Not had any optics screws come loose with moderate 10-ft lbs torque. Same could be said for Glock front sight.

Joe

Posts: 2525 | Location: Az | Registered: October 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I’ve switched to Vibra-Tite VC-3 like para suggests.

Glock sights, set screws for the CZ sights, grip screws and mag paddle.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8344 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went from LT Blue to Vibra Tite. No problems.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use red locktite on these. I don't need to remove or adjust them normally. Its trivial to make them hot enough to remove if that happens.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of the Hudge
posted Hide Post
Clear nail polish. Never had an issue.

Posts: 799 | Location: Inland Nortwest | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
I've used everything from blue, red, 242, vibra-tite on the front sights. None have ever loosened on me, and was able to remove them afterwards, including the red, but won't recommend red.

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The problem with Loctite is not that you can't get the get screws out. The problem is the residue left in the threads. Vibra-Tite cures to a rubbery compound, and when you remove it from screws, it just peels away, leaving no residue behind. You can then do a clean re-application of Vibra-Tite and re-insert the screw, or if you've removed the screw only once or twice, you can put the screw back in place without having to bother with re-application. For me, that's the difference.

Posts: 107578 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
The problem is the residue left in the threads.

I have switched to Vibra-Tite for the same reason if I think I would ever need to reinstall something.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
how about Rocksett® ?

Posts: 15891 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1KPerDay:
I use red. but you'll have to break/rip the thing off if you ever want to change the sight again.

Actually it’s very easy . 30 seconds with the tip of a soldering iron and the screw comes right out .

Posts: 705 | Location: S.W.Florida | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
As was said if you heat up red it “unlocks” just fine.

That said I always lean blue.

I will, however, be giving Vibra-Tite a go this time around.

I really do appreciate all the feedback.

Take care, shoot safe.
Chris