SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Do you guys use a heavy thread locker for front Glock sights?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you guys use a heavy thread locker for front Glock sights? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
Well it’s been like 14 years since my last Glock sight install and since I am devoting more time to my Glocks as of late it’s time for a sight refresh. The old sights are dim and I want to put on a more modern ameriglo/trij. HD type setup. Do you guys use a basic blue loctite or a heavier red loctite on the fronts? It’s been so long since I did sights on a Glock I don’t remember what I used.

As always thanks much,
Chris

I’ve been using blue loctite since Glock switch from staked to screw in sights.

Degrease, little dab, tighten down. Use the Glock sight tool.

Posts: 874 | Location: NE Pennsylvania | Registered: December 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Well I couldn’t find any vibra tite locally and being a spoiled only child who WANTS IT NOW!!!! I fell back on my old blue loctite standard. I will pick up some VT to keep on hand though. Thought I had some.

I had totally forgotten my 26 was a staked front sight and that took a little doing to get out but my old philosophy of “if it jams force it, if it breaks you needed a new one anyway” carried the day. Smile. Mental note buy new punch set. Frown.

Once again thank you everybody for your insights.

Take care, shoot safe.
Chris

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Blue, 242.

Posts: 1447 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for vibratite. It can be a little tough to apply to shorter screws (e.g., p-series grip screws). Pay the extra up front and get the little bottle with the brush and you'll be happy.

Sometimes red/blue Loctite makes more sense for other applications. (I just used red on a 3-lug muzzle adapter today.) Note there is a 243 blue, which I learned about from this forum and have been using for years.

If I need to clean Loctite I use a rubbing alcohol on a pad.

Happiness is a warm gun.

Posts: 444 | Location: Shenandoah Valley | Registered: February 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am a regular vibratite user on many things. But glock sight screws will not be one of them. You don't remove them normally, you don't adjust them, and given the application and the size of this screw I wouldn't reuse them. Thus the normal advantages of vibratite are lost and it is definitely less secure than loctite.
The best product to prepare a fastener for use with loctite is loctite primer which is easily found.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:

I had totally forgotten my 26 was a staked front sight and that took a little doing to get out but my old philosophy of “if it jams force it, if it breaks you needed a new one anyway” carried the day. Smile. Mental note buy new punch set. Frown.

Chris

Just get a pair of pliers and yank the staked front sight out from the top. It doesn't take a whole lot of force and it's not like you're going to use it again. I have a baggie of factory screw on sights if you ever did want them back on for some reason.

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post