SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    45 ACP Options
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

45 ACP Options Login/Join 
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
Staying away form the 1911s, there have been some awesome suggestions. The field is more populace than many folks think

I do own or have owned all of the firearms that I make mention of here

SIG has lots to offer. There are the alloy framed P220 and P227 along with the stainless framed P220 MSE, P220 Sport, P220 Sport Stock and P220 X6.

The hard to find P220 Ernst Langdon model also has a stainless frame. This two tone firearm shipped from the factory with the Karl Nills wood grips

My P227 is going to the range with me on Tuesday. While the flush fit magazine is sold as a 10 round and the longer magazine is a 14 round, if you replace the tall locking piece with a flat one from say a P226 magazine you gain an extra round in each. This is an old trick for the P320 magazines. There is almost enough room for a 12th round in that P227 mag, but not quite

The CZ97 is a wonderful pistol, but may be pricey due to lack of availability. The ASAI One Pro is probably the finest CZ style pistol I have ever come across. It is Swiss built with a trigger that is not to be believed.

The Tangfolio Witness pistols are a great choice. They share the CZ97 10 round magazine as do most all of the CZ style clones. The Elite Match is a superb pistol at a reasonable price.

The HK USPs have been mentioned and they are awesome. They are actually more affordable today than they were 6-8 years ago. There is the entry level USP or the supressor ready USP Tactical and then the target grade USPs the Expert, Match and Elite. These ship with 12 round magazines, but a follower change allows 14 rounds to be held in a flush fit

If the USPs and their 14 round magazine are too big for your hands, there is the HK45 which is designed around a narrower 10 round magazine. While I own one, I do not see any advantage to it, though I have large paws on the ends of my arms

If you want something that is more old world and I think on the cool side, there is the striker fired, HK P9s. Single stack 45s that are match accurate from back in the 1970s. These were also one of the first pistols to use polymer in the lower frames.

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5181 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A hammer-fired metal-framed .45 that isn't a P220 or a 1911, or a CZ.

I think you have to look to the US for them, as .45acp was traditionally a USA caliber- while the rest of the world used other, smaller, calibers- especially 9mm.

S&W 45x series was mentioned. They have a reputation for being solid performers, but I never cared for the trigger on S&W metal framed semi-autos.

One option that wasn't DIRECTLY mentioned was the .45acp version of the Magnum Research Baby Eagle. I say directly, as it is basically a tanfoglio/cz copy. Also, the older Astra Model 90 or 100, or Taurus PT945, or Ruger P90, or Beretta 8045, if you can find these six. All are metal frame, hammer fired .45acp semi-autos.

The Star Model P, PD or PS series, like the Ballester Molina, is going to feel similar in the hand to a 1911, but without a grip safety and with a pivoting trigger.

If we branch out to polymer frames, there will be a few more options [HK USP, HK45, Ruger P345, Ruger P97, FNX-45, Beretta PX4 Storm, Beretta 8045 mini cougar, and who knows what else], but by the time polymer was becoming reliable, strikers were also coming of age.

It might be helpful to figure out why the 1911 doesn't work for you. I am not pushing it, but a well tuned one is hard for me to say no to.

Sigs and Non-Sigs: I enjoy having options!

Posts: 684 | Location: South San Joaquin Valley, CA | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
There's a P90DC for sale locally. Very retro Cool

Posts: 3526 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all of the thoughts and suggestions. My first step will be finding a P220 rental.

The most effective safety is between your ears

Posts: 235 | Location: Eastern Nebraska | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A Beretta 8045 Cougar, if you can find one. Soft shooter.

Posts: 21 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 12, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
I have a full sized P220 and a P220 Carry SAS...the Carry SAS pistol shoots (at least for me) way better than the full sized.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ugeesta:
Look for a P220 Carry Elite. I have this, another P220 circa 2000 and a Dan Wesson Heritage. The P220CE is my favorite of the three.

See there you go, posting that teaser again Wink

LoL

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the Ruger P90 and S&W 4516-1, but neither ever fit my hand, so I don't have either.

I'll take a full-sized Sig P220 all day long.

Posts: 872 | Registered: October 08, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really wanted to love my HK USP45. The dual stack make the grip pretty big. Never shot it well.

My 1911 fits perfectly. a bit heavy, though.

That said 12 rounds in that USP and it's heavy too.

Posts: 348 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: September 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
Hard to beat a SIG P220 variant for an all metal framed, Hammer fired option if you don’t want a 1911.

Very reliable, good to great triggers, durable, feel great, good recoil control, cheap………er than buying a helicopter. Smile. It’s perfect. Smile

This right there. IMHO, the classic Sig P220 is an excellent option for a 45acp.

God Bless You and Your House,

Mark
www.bikersforchrist.org

Posts: 233 | Registered: November 10, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Austin228
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 7iron:
I'm thinking of picking up a .45 auto to see if its something I would like. I have enough 9mm and .40. I strongly prefer hammer-fired autos over strikers, and probably metal frame over polymer. I do have my father's Colt National Match, but I already know I do not shoot the 1911 platform well in any caliber. This will be primarily a range toy, as opposed to carry. I am aware of the P220 of course, and the HK's. I'm reaching out to this fine group to see if there are any others I should consider? The CZ 97 is out of production.

Ok, you want all metal, hammer fired gun that is not a 1911 style so likely not SAO but DA/SA.

I'd say you can't go wrong with a P220, even a used one instead of paying a lot more for brand new.

CZ 97's are in stock at online stores, I don't have personal experience with those but I've never heard anything bad.

https://www.wikiarms.com/guns?q=806703014111

I used gun.deals/wikiarms.com and found this below...

https://www.impactguns.com/sem...03014111-01411/#wiki

Posts: 1473 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: March 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post