SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    45 ACP Options
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

45 ACP Options Login/Join 
posted
I'm thinking of picking up a .45 auto to see if its something I would like. I have enough 9mm and .40. I strongly prefer hammer-fired autos over strikers, and probably metal frame over polymer. I do have my father's Colt National Match, but I already know I do not shoot the 1911 platform well in any caliber. This will be primarily a range toy, as opposed to carry. I am aware of the P220 of course, and the HK's. I'm reaching out to this fine group to see if there are any others I should consider? The CZ 97 is out of production.

The most effective safety is between your ears

Posts: 235 | Location: Eastern Nebraska | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGguy229
posted Hide Post
You're kind of limiting yourself with your criteria. Personally, I like the SIG 1911...but I also have a P320/.45ACP, P220, and had a P245.

Posts: 1723 | Location: South.....Carolina | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 97 may be out of production but that does not mean they are unavailable. If you don't want a 1911 and you want it to be steel the 97 is the best choice. Find one and send it to Cajun Gun Works at 97 Parkway Circle, West Monroe, LA 71292.

I don't work for them but am a very happy customer.

Posts: 1256 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: December 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
I had a 1911 and P220 but got rid of them, b/c I didn't enjoy shooting them. A few months ago, I demo'ed a CZ 97BD, and it was pussycat and made me reconsider 45ACP. The 97 was discontinued at the beginning of the year, so they are not that hard to find.

Some other sleepers you might consider:
Sar K2 45
Grand Power P45
EAA Tanfoglio Witness 45

The Sar & Tanfo are CZ 75/97 clones w/ steel frames. Grand Power is hammer fired w/ polymer frame and rotating barrel lock-up.

I know you said you prefer hammer fired, metal frame guns, but after the 1911, the Glock 21/41/30 series is probably the next most popular platform for 45ACP.

Posts: 3187 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Hard to beat a SIG P220 variant for an all metal framed, Hammer fired option if you don’t want a 1911.

Very reliable, good to great triggers, durable, feel great, good recoil control, cheap………er than buying a helicopter. Smile. It’s perfect. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7691 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
S&W 4506 or 4506-1. They are out of production but are damn fine guns.

If you want to go a little smaller on the slide/barrel then you want to look at the S&W 4566.

Other than that the Ruger P90 (also out of production) is a great shooter. Horribe ergonomics but good and reliable. I recently pickup up a mint on in box for under $300

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4523 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Plenty of new CZ 97 for sale on Gunbroker. I am considering getting one myself.

Posts: 3159 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
A P220ST would probably be my top choice for a non 1911 non-polymer 45ACP

I got a few rounds in a suppressed HK45 rental at the range & it was a really nice shooter. Did not remove the suppressor, so can't comment on it without.

Had a range day with my wife's former boss years ago.
He brought out his P220ST, USP45C, XD45 & some flavor of FN 45.

The Sig & HK were the easiest to shoot well, for me.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15365 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Get a 1911 and work at shooting it mo' betta!

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Syngin1066
posted Hide Post
Have you looked at the P227? I was going through the same process a few months ago and was down to the P220 and HK45 and then ran across a P227 SAS. Basically, it’s a 10 rd P220 in a P229 form factor. I know it’s discontinued, but the parts are either P220 or P226 if something breaks. I’ve been really happy with it.

All I've had all day is like six gummy bears and some scotch...

Posts: 4851 | Location: Celina, TX | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all of the great suggestions. I have a 229, so the 227 sounds interesting, if I can locate one. And there my be a CZ 97 rental somewhere in the area.

The most effective safety is between your ears

Posts: 235 | Location: Eastern Nebraska | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Pickle Rick!
Picture of Pickle Rick
posted Hide Post
When I was looking for a .45 I shot a few and landed on a P220 Carry duo tone. This gun makes me look at the range. I would sell all my guns and still keep this one ...... it's that good.

Posts: 2878 | Location: Lancaster, PA. | Registered: February 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
This variant of a P220ST is my favorite .45ACP (non-1911, non-polymer) for a range gun or house gun. It's a Sig P220 Stainless Match Elite, 5 inch bbl, DA/SA, all stainless, target rear sight.
No longer in production but if you look, they still can be found. It is large & heavy, not good for CCW.
Absolutely soft shooting with ANY .45ACP ammo.

DSC01156 by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1550 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I second the 4566 mentioned above as well as the cz97. Just bought a 97 myself, so they are still out there.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2747 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
One of the popular online auction sites has two of the P220 SME's in .45ACP for sale.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1550 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Beretta PX4 in 45. It will surprise ya Smile

Posts: 13819 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Working for Water
Picture of Chance228
posted Hide Post
My favorite modern 45 semi-auto is the HK USP...based on your criteria of a range piece outside of HK and SIG...I would look at a S&W 25/625 revolver.

Posts: 1051 | Location: Central New Jersey | Registered: February 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:

SURPRISE!!!! It’s plastic. Big Grin. He wanted metal.

Now that said I really like my 9mm PX4 and I have to say the .45 PX4 has intrigued me for quite a while. It is, however, one the few guns I’ve never shot. I don’t think I’ve ever even handled one.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7691 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Probably metal over polymer. They are really flat shooters especially in the big caliber. Only detractor is the slick grip and that’s remedied with talon grips..
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:

SURPRISE!!!! It’s plastic. Big Grin. He wanted metal.

Now that said I really like my 9mm PX4 and I have to say the .45 PX4 has intrigued me for quite a while. It is, however, one the few guns I’ve never shot. I don’t think I’ve ever even handled one.

Posts: 13819 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
Look for a P220 Carry Elite. I have this, another P220 circa 2000 and a Dan Wesson Heritage. The P220CE is my favorite of the three.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5762 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post