SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    NIB SIG P229 Legion Frame Scratch
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NIB SIG P229 Legion Frame Scratch Login/Join 
Picture of dcowboyscr
posted
I just bought a NIB Black LE model SIG P229 Legion from a vender on Gunbroker. Usually, I only buy from LGS where I can thoroughly inspect a pistol before buying. However, I ordered this pistol off Gunbroker because it’s the hard to find Legion P229 Black finish with Nitron slide instead of the usual Grey/Green Legions. Usually this version is discounted and sold only to First Responders.

I looked the gun over and everything appears to be good. Nice smooth trigger, good slide to frame fit, everything is machined correctly. However, I just noticed there’s a scratch under the left rail in the anodizing down to bare aluminum.

I realize this won’t affect function and since it’s not on the rail itself it’s not a durability issue. Furthermore, this won’t be a safe queen. This will be a gun I use and carry so there are sure to be more wear and scratches in its future.

However, I can’t help but feel annoyed. It’s like buying a car and having door dings already in it. Even though you know it will eventually happen.

I don’t see/feel any burrs on the slide rails. I believe this to be a manufacturing blemish.

I called SIG and sent them pics and received an email back today stating the gunsmiths advise this is normal. Just leaves a bad taste in my mouth on a $1,300 pistol. Thoughts?

"Clear Eyes. Full Hearts. Can't Lose."

Posts: 3088 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana, USA | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For me it’s a non-issue.

Posts: 90 | Location: SW VA | Registered: January 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
That scratch near the muzzle end looks like a burr. If it's a burr, it needs to be filed down.
quote:
Originally posted by dcowboyscr:
This will be a gun I use and carry so there are sure to be more wear and scratches in its future.... you know it will eventually happen.

You said you didn't feel any burrs. If that's the case, then I'd let it go. Should it have come that way NIB? No, but chalk it up as a learning experience. Next time look the gun over more closely and reject the transfer if you find similar blemishes you find unacceptable.

Otherwise, as you posted, you're going to shoot & carry and add similar wear & character marks to the gun anyway, and Sig has already told you they won't warranty it.

Posts: 3171 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did the grip still have the paper SIG cover? If not, someone might have used it. The scratches on the frame rail seem extreme for a new gun.

-c1steve

Posts: 4041 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dcowboyscr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:
Did the grip still have the paper SIG cover? If not, someone might have used it. The scratches on the frame rail seem extreme for a new gun.

It’s NIB only test fired by SIG

Posts: 3088 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana, USA | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
Degrease the frame and slide. Get a small handful of Q-Tips. Run the Q-Tips on the frame and slide interface machined surfaces. (dry)
I think you will be surprised just how many burrs are remaining, particularly near the nose on the slide.
Every time you hit a burr, it will pull some of the cotton off the Q-Tip.
Deburr as needed.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1497 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
If it were me, I wouldn't think twice about a couple minor blems on a gun I intend to use.

At the most, I'd hit those spots with some Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black and call it good. No, it's not as good as true anodizing, but by the time it wears through, the gun will have collected enough other dings that it wouldn't matter anyway.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16263 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
From the time Sig wasn't lapping the slides.

My God, its full of burrs.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34080 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dcowboyscr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
From the time Sig wasn't lapping the slides.

My God, its full of burrs.

I just got an a cotton ball down the slide rails and reinspected the slide and still can’t find any burrs on it. This appears to be a manufacturing defect when they anodized the frame.

Picture of dcowboyscr
posted Hide Post
Interesting in that the scratch is below the rail.

posted Hide Post
I admit that amount of finish blemish/damage right out of the box would annoy the schlitz out of me. Yeah I know the frame finish will wear down with use but I very much want to be the reason why it happens. And I've got more than a few P-SIGs with boatloads of rounds through them that simply don't look that bad.

-MG

Posts: 1928 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dcowboyscr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by monoblok:
I admit that amount of finish blemish/damage right out of the box would annoy the schlitz out of me. Yeah I know the frame finish will wear down with use but I very much want to be the reason why it happens. And I've got more than a few P-SIGs with boatloads of rounds through them that simply don't look that bad.

Exactly! I was just looking at a used P228 and the frame rails and below them on the frame looked perfect.

posted Hide Post
It's not seen in battery, no big deal...

Posts: 465 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 19tass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
If it were me, I wouldn't think twice about a couple minor blems on a gun I intend to use.

At the most, I'd hit those spots with some Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black and call it good. No, it's not as good as true anodizing, but by the time it wears through, the gun will have collected enough other dings that it wouldn't matter anyway.

I agree ^

Posts: 1204 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: November 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't recall how many P-series I've owned over the years, but all of them, including the 8 I currently own, have wear like this on the rails. It's also on my Berettas, CZs, Hi Power, etc. If it isn't a rough burr, I've always considered this normal.

Smother those rails with some good gun grease and shoot away.

Happiness is a warm gun.

Posts: 444 | Location: Shenandoah Valley | Registered: February 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
For what it's worth, the last 229 I bought came looking pretty much like that. I didn't care for it, but I got over it and it never got worse although it's not a gun I shoot very often. Mine was a 229 SAS.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3509 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is frustrating and I get your beef with it. For $1300, you would think it would be perfect. As you know, eventually you will get that wear with shooting. I wonder how often it was handled along the way.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dcowboyscr
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies everyone. I’ve been buying SIGs since 1992. Was just annoyed on a brand new over $1,000 pistol. Could’ve gotten over that as I was going to shoot and carry it anyway. I was more disappointed in SIG CS response. Ended up getting rid of the gun and buying a Beretta that for $600 less had better fit and finish than this P229 Legion overall.

Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks for the replies everyone. I’ve been buying SIGs since 1992. Was just annoyed on a brand new over $1,000 pistol. Could’ve gotten over that as I was going to shoot and carry it anyway. I was more disappointed in SIG CS response. Ended up getting rid of the gun and buying a Beretta that for $600 less had better fit and finish than this P229 Legion overall.

For that kind of money, I expect a tight, well finished pistol.
I usually don't buy guns without having the opportunity to inspect them first.
My son recently purchased a Sig 226 Legion SAO and the fit and finish was perfect.

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4823 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

That really blows, I despise poor CS and adore great CS. Sig's CS has fallen off and Im afraid its not getting better. I own 5 legions and really like the line but damn I wish they adopted Stacatto's new and improved CS. They do so many great things then fall short on something like this. Good luck Cowboy with your new blaster.

PB

Posts: 65 | Registered: November 27, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post