SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What’s a good quick access bedside safe?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What’s a good quick access bedside safe? Login/Join 
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
The FAS1 safes look great; I would likely own 1 or 2 if I wasn't already setup with the V-lines (everything I have is mounted horizontally, but FAS1 seems to have most of their setup for vertical mounting requirements).

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am conflicted about the use of keys in the FAS1 safes as almost every bike thief has posted how easily those locks can be over come with a small cylinder of damp cardboard.

The Simplex locks are very secure as you can use key combinations requiring the press of two or three keys simultaneously. If you are worried about your manual dexterity in the dark when aroused from a deep slumber, you can enter the code prior to retiring but not turn the knob to release the latch. Then if you need quick access you can just turn the knob. You just have to turn the knob the other direction to secure the safe upon arising. I trust a mechanical lock more than any electronic biometric system.

Posts: 565 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am conflicted about the use of keys in the FAS1 safes as almost every bike thief has posted how easily those locks can be over come with a small cylinder of damp cardboard

They offer versions without the key lock and sell a keyless lock if you want to retro an exitsting one. I noticed that when I looked at their website. They also have a piece that allows you to "lock out" the keys ability to open the safe.

Posts: 4591 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CD228:
quote:
I am conflicted about the use of keys in the FAS1 safes as almost every bike thief has posted how easily those locks can be over come with a small cylinder of damp cardboard

They offer versions without the key lock and sell a keyless lock if you want to retro an exitsting one. I noticed that when I looked at their website. They also have a piece that allows you to "lock out" the keys ability to open the safe.
I was aware of that. But I do not understand the rationale for including them. If you need one turn access to your firearm, just put the code in but do not turn the knob.

Posts: 565 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
I have 2 of the old pistol pals. They were made by a company called Peterson that is no longer in business. One was acquired new and the other I found in a gun shop in the misc area(I was so giddy..it was $30)

A few years ago, I picked up a Titan Pistol safe. Same concept. But I like it because of the mounting set up. Look them up on Youtube. Simplex lock is a must on these.

I tried the battery operated Gunvault. To my dismay, every time I go to get my wife's gun out it, the batteries were always dead. I put duracell, energizer..it doesn't matter. I would never trust one of those.

The simplex are spendy compared to the key and electronic locks. But buy once, cry once. I have been very please with these purchases.

Posts: 1352 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post