SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Do any LEO’s or high speed low drag door kicker types actually use strobes?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do any LEO’s or high speed low drag door kicker types actually use strobes? Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I think a miniaturized disco ball projector with railmount adaptor would be an awesome OODA loop disruptor on a fighting pistol.

Go ahead and scoff; someone will put it into production. It'll be the next biggest thing since smokeless powder and red dot sights on handguns.

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can take it or leave it, but typically find the LEDs on the cruiser do a good enough job disorienting EVERYBODY that anything else is superfluous.

Posts: 632 | Registered: June 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
I think a miniaturized disco ball projector with railmount adaptor would be an awesome OODA loop disruptor on a fighting pistol.

Go ahead and scoff; someone will put it into production. It'll be the next biggest thing since smokeless powder and red dot sights on handguns.

It only works if you also play the main theme to Star Wars at the same time.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
Yes it uses Streamlights typical 10 tap system.

Thanks

Posts: 13681 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LMLarsen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
I have the strobe feature specifically disabled on my weaponlights, since I don't use it, and it only serves to frustrate me when I activate it inadvertently when trying to do brief momentary lighting.

(For those who are wondering, Streamlight TLR-1S and TLR-1HL lights have a button press system to disable the strobe feature. Press briefly down on the momentary lever 10x, and hold down on the 10th push for 5ish seconds. After 5ish seconds, the light should flash and turn off, letting you know the strobe is successfully disabled. Repeat it to enable strobe again, if you decide you want it in the future.)

I tried this on my TLR-1S several times, and it didn’t work.

Posts: 271 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: January 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You have to rapidly tap the momentary exactly ten times and hold until the light shuts off on the tenth time. There are a number of YouTube videos showing the process. My experience is that when people have trouble it's that they're not "tapping" fast enough.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Worthless except in traffic at night to get peoples attention while directing traffic or trying not to get run over.

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I tell my low light course students not to buy the damn things with strobes in them, it is just a marketing gimmick so they can charge more money for a useless option. Some things, like Combat lights, should be kept simple, "On", or "Off".

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used the strobe function on my handheld light in traffic situations. Occasionally, when an after-hours bar would let out and people would get rowdy, a strobe to the eyes would keep 'em moving.

Posts: 545 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
I tell my low light course students not to buy the damn things with strobes in them

The problem is, it's getting tougher to find a quality modern light - especially a weaponlight - that doesn't have that feature included.

Luckily, on most of them it can be disabled through a series of button taps, so if you don't want it (and you almost certainly don't...) then it's not that big of a deal.

quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
Some things, like Combat lights, should be kept simple, "On", or "Off".

I'll add a third necessary feature: Momentary On. There are situations in which you want to be able to lock the light on. But in many/most tactical or defensive situations, you'll only want brief, momentary pulses of light from your flashlights.

IMO, all lights (both handheld and weapon mounted) intended for serious purposes should have settings for Off, Constant On, and Momentary On. The good news is that nearly all of the ones from reputable companies already do.

Posts: 32515 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have used the strobe several times in the line of duty..... they are great for signaling the Hydrant Humpers that the scene is safe for them to come in.

Posts: 4059 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LMLarsen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:
You have to rapidly tap the momentary exactly ten times and hold until the light shuts off on the tenth time. There are a number of YouTube videos showing the process. My experience is that when people have trouble it's that they're not "tapping" fast enough.

Thanks, I’ll check out the videos and try it again.

Posts: 271 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: January 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BradleyS
posted Hide Post
I retired about 6 years ago, but never had a desire or need for one.

Isaiah 6:8

Posts: 618 | Location: Salisbury | Registered: July 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Meh, too much of a PITA to deal with it and that flashing light still makes a nice target. My weapon mounted light is there to briefly ID a target, or keep illumination on a perp so that my other hand can perform other tasks. Cover and concealment is important, and going lights-out when practical is the best choice. If I am throwing rounds, I have to be damn sure that I am shooting at the right target.

Posts: 731 | Location: Midwest | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Never used strobe on a WML, but used the strobe on my handheld light several times to help the helicopter find us during situations. Not sure if that’s better than a solid beam, but seemed like a good idea at the time.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
The biggest problem I have with the strobe feature on flashlights is that they seem to activate when no one wants them to, and then the user pays more attention to trying to turn the strobe off than what it is they are supposed to be paying attention to.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives
posted Hide Post
It is a little know fact that the strobe function is the only way to get wreckers to move up on your DWI stop.

As such it is indispensable.

"I don't own the night, I only operate a small franchise" - Author unknown

Posts: 2447 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe that it needs to be hard to turn on but I have used it many times. I used to walk late at night and often had problems with very aggressive Dogs that had attacked several other dogs and a couple of people. When hitting them with a steam light HPL in strobe mode they would always stop at 10 feet. The one time that they got out during the daylight They left a cornered pit bull to attack me and I had to shoot the lead dog. With the strobe on at night, they could never see me well enough to come after me. That said this is the only time that it has ever been useful to me.

Posts: 34 | Location: United States | Registered: August 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
The biggest problem I have with the strobe feature on flashlights is that they seem to activate when no one wants them to, and then the user pays more attention to trying to turn the strobe off than what it is they are supposed to be paying attention to.

Exactly. I saw this happen at the range yesterday, albeit only once as it was a small group. It's happened to me several times in the past. No longer, though, thanks to RogueJSK. Smile

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don’t use as I’ve never really found a need. But I don’t think most people actually realize the purpose of it. It is NOT to disorient a person. What is IS used for is to “disorient” a suspects depth perception where you are. Obviously if the suspect is hiding in a dark corner and you come in the room with a light on, it’s easy to tell exactly where you are. But if you use strobe mode, the idea is they can tell where you are, but not necessarily how far away you are. In other words....it’s fairly useless.

Posts: 286 | Location: Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post