SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Glock 34 gen5 or Zen OZ9?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glock 34 gen5 or Zen OZ9? Login/Join 
posted
I'm thinking about getting an other handgun for classes/range/home defense. this are my two options Glock 34 gen5 or Zev OZ9 full size, I already have a G17 gen5 that I carry so I want something optics ready. I really like the grip angle and the weight of the Zev, I shot a Shadow systems and while very nice it is very light and there for a little more felt recoil than I would like. I have quite a few Glock magazines that is why those two choices.

Posts: 931 | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Glock 34 is a great gun and cheaper than the ZEV but not as flashy. Mind you, I don't mind flashy. Of course the price difference you already know but the ZEV has a few upgrades-trigger,grip/frame and sights, all of which can be added the 34 for less,depending on where you get it.

Posts: 6893 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a bad experience with ZEV and have no idea how they are still in business.

Have been happy with several Shadow System pistols.

Posts: 1660 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about just using the Zev chassis and grip module?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: venenoindy,

posted Hide Post
I've had a few dirty thoughts about a SS DR920P. I currently have a franken G34 with a Suarez optics slide and a mayhem syndicate barrel and comp sitting on a g34 frame. Its as accurate as I am.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anubismp:
I've had a few dirty thoughts about a SS DR920P. I currently have a franken G34 with a Suarez optics slide and a mayhem syndicate barrel and comp sitting on a g34 frame. Its as accurate as I am.

Actually that is what I was looking at other than Zev, the only bad thing is that Shadow systems in general they are very light. what I'm looking for is a platform that can soak up the recoil as much as possible.

Picture of Stinky Bojangles
posted Hide Post
I have an OZ9 that I purchased last May with ~1600 rounds through it. It has been very accurate and reliable using cheap 115 grain ammo and Fiocchi 124 grain ammo. No major failures with the exception of a few instances of the slide not locking back on the last round fired. Those instances were with Glock 17 round with OEM +2 extensions that don't have the 11 coil spring.

The perceived recoil characteristics, for me, are unique and pleasant. Not a fair comparison, but much more enjoyable than my G45. The trigger feels very good to me. As a baseline, I'll just say that I like the stock Gen. 5 G45 trigger. I did however replace the G45 trigger shoe with a Timney.

https://i.ibb.co/HrLn4GL/20220710-125403.jpg

For what it's worth, mine has been reliable, accurate, and fun to shoot. Hopefully that is the norm, not the exception nowadays.

Posts: 816 | Location: was:NoVA now:Lake Caroline | Registered: July 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by venenoindy:

Actually that is what I was looking at other than Zev, the only bad thing is that Shadow systems in general they are very light. what I'm looking for is a platform that can soak up the recoil as much as possible.

Totally understood, between the comp and if you put a light on it you should have no problem with recoil. In fact, on my G34 with Mayhem comp the dot stays in the window of my 509T all the way through the recoil cycle. YMMV of course. I have not tried a Zev though I'd be open to it if I had the option. I had considered their OZ9 as I like the idea of the chasis. I also do a G19 with PMM comp and X300 with 509T and its the same size as a G34 with a smaller butt. Conceals well and full size mags stick out which makes it easier/cheating for malfunction drills.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I found locally a Glock 34 gen5 with Trijicon suppressor sights, overwatch precision trigger in great shape for $640.00 or I could get a DR920P for $1177.00 what should I get?

Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
I have a G34 gen 3 that has had a grip reduction on it, and a SS 920P. I love them both, but I got the SS to compete and the G34 is the gun that I would grab if SHTF.

The SS is very much lighter and the compensator does mittgate that somewhat. If you want to put an optic on it, the G34 will reqiure either 1) a getting your slide milled to allow sights, 2) new "suppressor" sights to use the OEM slide cut, or 3) I guess both but why? The SS system works great for both RMR and sights OOTB.

I guess if recoil IS THE MAIN ISSUE, get the G34. IF you are looking for features, you'll end up spending more for what the 920P provides immediately if you use the G34 platform as a base to get there.

As to using the OS9 frame, I didn't know ZEV sells them. You can get P80 frames and build up, or other manufactures (Nomad, Grey Ghost, others). Again though, I don't think you can "spec up" to a SS for the same price as a 920P or milled frame G34 FrankenGlock.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1959 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
Interesting. Reimagining a Glock using inspiration from a Staccato/2011. Indeed, the "Glock" 1911 is upon us...Razz

-MG

Posts: 2001 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would say Glock 34 MOS. It is available in the $800 range and is ready to go with the red dot. It's all you need. My experience with SS was less than stellar and I had a poorly made product (920) and poor company's response. No experience with ZEV, but Staccato (at 3X cost) is good.

Posts: 287 | Registered: November 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
I too am in the G34 camp, though I have a Shadow System MR920 that I’m enjoying. It took a little while to break it in, but I am now fully comfortable with it. My G34 is set up as my HD pistol with an RMR and Surefire WML. I haven’t set up a rig for comp/classes but may do so soon. I have an X5 Legion in the same boat.

Posts: 2965 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If recoil management is a primary concern, there is only so much you can do with the G34. Adding a weapon light helps somewhat (it's a gaming technique I see in competition) IMHO An optic adds a tiny bit of weight. Guess you could throw in a heavier guide rod/spring as well.

I own/shoot both a G34 and various Staccato's (the XL, P and C2). The Staccato's will tame the recoil but at a higher price point. My .02

Posts: 1454 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2PAK:
If recoil management is a primary concern, there is only so much you can do with the G34. Adding a weapon light helps somewhat (it's a gaming technique I see in competition) IMHO An optic adds a tiny bit of weight. Guess you could throw in a heavier guide rod/spring as well.

I own/shoot both a G34 and various Staccato's (the XL, P and C2). The Staccato's will tame the recoil but at a higher price point. My .02

Actually I just pick up an Staccato P DUO steel frame, threaded barrel. this thing is awesome!, just looking to have a back up full size for my Staccato P.

posted Hide Post
I love my Glock 34 Smile

Posts: 7 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 09, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post