SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Video: NYPD officer shooting double action only P226.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Video: NYPD officer shooting double action only P226. Login/Join 
Picture of dcowboyscr
posted Hide Post
NYC Transit Police were the first to transition from revolvers to 9mm semiautomatic pistols. Bill Bratton who would later become Chief of NYPD & LAPD was the Chief of the Transit police at that time.

Also, besides issuing FMJ for the few years,,NYPD initially was going to 10 round magazines! Luckily, I don’t think they ever went through with that nonsense and instead went with the standard capacity 15 rd mags.

NYPD and the Housing Authority transitioned after Transit and then shortly thereafter after all 3 merged.

NYPD authorized duty weapons were: S&W 5646, SIG P226 DAO and the Glock 19 with NY1 trigger spring and 12 lb trigger pull weight.

"Clear Eyes. Full Hearts. Can't Lose."

Posts: 3095 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana, USA | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
The DAO P226 I have that was reportedly an NYPD contract overrun was equipped with the DAO hammer having a conventional spur like DA/SA hammers, and looks just like the one in the video. There was a “bobbed” DAO hammer available that I put in my DAO SIGs, but it was much less common.

And the action of the pistol in the video is how DAO guns function: hammer down before the shot and immediately after the shot.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47465 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
The DAO P226 I have that was reportedly an NYPD contract overrun was equipped with the DAO hammer having a conventional spur like DA/SA hammers, and looks just like the one in the video. There was a “bobbed” DAO hammer available that I put in my DAO SIGs, but it was much less common.

And the action of the pistol in the video is how DAO guns function: hammer down before the shot and immediately after the shot.

What was the date of manufacture on yours? It might have been from the old batch. I was never able to get a good date range or configuration data on the older NYPD SIG 226s.

They where around in the 90s and supposedly had rust issues, which is why the the newer version got the stainless steel components (though I only heard about grip screws rusting).

Interestingly, I never saw one of the older SIGs turn up for sale at the local guns shops. I used to see alot of old NYPD guns in the used rack as guys retired.

Posts: 4628 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post