SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Video: NYPD officer shooting double action only P226.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Video: NYPD officer shooting double action only P226. Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted
The linked video shows a New York Police Department officer shooting at a man charging with a knife.

Several years ago it was reported that the NYPD approved P226 pistols for duty carry, but they had to be double action only.*

This series of screen shots from the video shows that the hammer is uncocked in the first picture.
The second shows the pistol being fired.
And the third shows that the hammer is again in the forward, uncocked position after the slide returns to battery.
The sequence starts about 1:17 in the video.

LINK:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-CuuxgJs-U

* The reported contract overrun specimen I purchased had a red DAK mainspring that made the DAO pull weight about 13+ pounds.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47467 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
That left thumb...

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9715 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGLI:
That left thumb...

Yes. I saw that too.
In fact it was what first caught my attention, and then I noticed that the hammer did not remain cocked after the gun was fired.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47467 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
The thumb needs to go there so you can get both index fingers on the trigger for extra leverage to help with the department-mandated 20 pound trigger pull. Big Grin

Posts: 32653 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
Also sounds like the cop in the doorway lit him up with the tazer as well.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9715 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
The video link doesn't work unless you sign in, so without signing in, did the perp get sideways before he reached the officers ?

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8748 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
The description of the incident:

Queens, New York — On Friday, March 8, 2024, at approximately 6:49 p.m., several 9-1-1 callers reported that a man was inside of a residential building in the vicinity of 62nd Avenue and 102nd Street, and was stabbing others with a knife. The investigators say it started during a baby's first birthday party, when the suspect, the baby's grandfather, started stabbing his wife. She fled and ran down the hallway, screaming for help. Police Officer O'Rourke, Officer Taveras, and Sergeant Raymond Decostanzo, along with additional officers assigned to the 112th Precinct, responded to the location.

Upon arrival, the officers entered the building and encountered 46-year-old Djamshed Nematov in a hallway in possession of a knife in his right hand. The officers ordered Nematov to drop the knife, however Nematov charged at them while brandishing the knife. As a result, Officer O'Rourke discharged one shot from her service firearm, Officer Taveras discharged three shots from his service firearm, and Sergeant Decostanzo discharged his Taser Conducted Energy Weapon, at Nematov. Nematov was struck by the gunfire and fell to the ground. Nematov was transported via ambulance to New York-Presbyterian Queens Medical Center where he was pronounced deceased. The woman suffered at least two stab wounds. She is currently recovering at an area hospital. Nematov's knife was recovered at the scene of the incident during this investigation.

6.4/93.6

posted Hide Post
For a time, the NYPD authorized 3 different handguns, a DAO 226, DAO S&W 59 series, or a glock 19 with the NY+ trigger spring. NYPD is a bit odd, since despite being in one of the most anti gun. State in the country, they also mandate the officer purchase the issued firearm, which come directly from stocks maintained by the NYPD. More recently they have discontinued all options except the glock and if memory serves, an officer can choose a 19 or 17. The 17’s are actually issued with special 15 round capacity magazines for uniform capacity regardless of which gun is chosen.
The NYPD has something like close to 40 thousand officers, so they don’t transition duty guns like other agencies. You buy your own gun, and when a new model is approved, the existing officers guns are grandfathered in. This is why it was only about 5 years or so ago the last handful of officers carrying revolvers were forced to transition to an auto. So there are still plenty of officers carrying the older S&W and 226 guns

Posts: 3322 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Djamshed Nematov

I went to look up his name--I suspect Chechen or something similar--but just saw "Family mourns death of..." and the AG is investigating cops. Because mental illness, don't you know.

Posts: 18180 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
Last I heard the Dallas PD issues a DAO P226 as well.
Unless they changed it in the last couple of years..

Posts: 4387 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Does NYPD issue FMJ duty ammo? I wouldn’t be real surprised if they do. If so, seems one of the officers made a nice shot to stop Djamshed with so few rounds expended.

Posts: 27024 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
During my instructor days, I received the NYPD yearly report on use of firearms. One of the most surprising statistics I saw was how often they fired on each other. No surprise, given the size of the agency.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16200 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The thumb needs to go there so you can get both index fingers on the trigger for extra leverage

Laugh you may, but I know a couple of ladies who independently discovered that technique. One had an Sig, the other a Ladysmith. Both were DA/SA and they needed both fingers for the DA start and just stayed with them after the crunch-tick.

Posts: 3297 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe NYPD currently carries Gold Dot 124 +P duty ammo. They have always had DAO handguns, including revolvers that couldn't be cocked. I was told the NYPD firearms training unit runs 24/7 quals just to get everyone qualified yearly.

DPR

Posts: 659 | Registered: March 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
That left thumb...

Perfectly valid with revolvers (especially small-frame ones), a good way to get "slide-bit" with autos. But if it works, it's not stupid.

Posts: 28134 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I'm told by family working there, the NY+ trigger is gone... but only for those coming out of the academy. I guess they don't want to have to retrain everyone so they can actually hit something. Roll Eyes

No idea what the new pull weight is, I'm sure it's not light though. lol

Posts: 21168 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is insane to have a DAO, especially with the horrible heavy-long trigger in their NY guns but it is NY and I guess the higher ups know better. I wonder how well the majority do with accuracy. The Glock NY triggers were at least manageable.

Posts: 6950 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dcowboyscr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Does NYPD issue FMJ duty ammo? I wouldn’t be real surprised if they do. If so, seems one of the officers made a nice shot to stop Djamshed with so few rounds expended.

Originally when NYPD transitioned to autopistols they actually did carry FMJ ammo for several years until eventually switching to JHP ammunition Speer Gold Dot 124+P. I have a friend that was a NYPD Officer and worked at Rodman’s Neck for a few years. I believe they made the switch from FMJ to JHP in 1999.

"Clear Eyes. Full Hearts. Can't Lose."

Posts: 3095 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana, USA | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The hammer looks wrong for an NYPD DAO 226. Unless it was one of the earlier ones.

My Brother carried one when he got on NYPD post 9/11. It had the Stainless trigger, grip screws and a bobbed stainless steel hammer.

Link to an example

Posts: 4639 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
FMJ's ^ yes I think the "street cops" (NYPD) did for a while, Transit and possibly Housing didn't. Then they merged and became one big unhappy family using JHP's. Big Grin Transit was using 147 JHP's when the transitioned to semi autos. Afterwards they all standardized with 124 JHP's IIRC.

(For decades there was the New York City Police Department, New York City Transit Police and New York City Housing Authority Police Department. Now they're one department with different bureaus.)

Posts: 21168 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post