SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Help Diagnosing 1911 Failure to Feed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help Diagnosing 1911 Failure to Feed Login/Join 
Picture of myrottiety
posted
Was having x2 issues on my 80% 1911.

Pretty sure I have one of them sorted.

Definitely would like advice on the first:
PICS: https://imgur.com/gallery/WbhUCsZ

First issue is fail to feed. Round only goes about %70-%80 into chamber. My guess is maybe the extractor is to tight or needs to be beveled on the bottom a touch. It would catch as you see in top photo. A pound or two of pressure with my thumb it would fully seat.

2nd was rounds were catching on slide catch lug. I hit it with a file when I got home. Pretty sure I have that fixed now. It had a sharp corner that was dragging on the rounds 150gn & 230gn.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8856 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would check (in this order)the extractor tension, breech face for burs and smoothness, and the extractor shape.

Read this: https://www.m1911.org/technic2.htm

Get the tension correct before shaping or beveling anything. There's nothing worse then spending a bunch of time filing on an extractor with the wrong tension.

Posts: 158 | Location: Tampa | Registered: August 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What a great way to learn about 1911s. i commend your efforts.

Glad you're starting out with an easy to chamber round like standard ball ammunition....i'm assuming you're using brand new springs with your brand new build

So as always start at the beginning.

First check the chamber...will a cartridge fall into and out of the chamber without difficulty. some call this a plunk test

Then i would check a different magazine to make sure its not a magazine problem. this can often be the problem. It looks like the magazine is in good shape but i would still try another one to be safe and sure.

As you've noted, would probably confirm extractor fit and tension

Also confirm that you have the prescribed 1/32 inch gap between the barrel and the ramp....i couldn't see this information on your photos.

Then might see if you're dealing with a 3 point jam problem or feed ramp problem or ramp angle (31.5 degrees).

some more info would sure help. Hopefully it's something easy like the magazine.

I always polish the ramp.... and while i don't really think that is the cause of the problem you're describing it feels and looks right.

You're probably using brand new springs but sometimes a good polish and a new and slightly more powerful recoil spring might help as would shooting a good hundred rounds especially if this is an intermittent problem and the extractor, magazine and plunk test all proved well.

I had one pistol where the magazine wasn't engaged high enough, a new higher seating magazine catch made all the difference in that somewhat unusual case. in that scenario the round was striking the feed ramp, not the chamber as you've shown.

Posts: 5900 | Location: southern california | Registered: April 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogmush:
I would check (in this order)the extractor tension, breech face for burs and smoothness, and the extractor shape.

Read this: https://www.m1911.org/technic2.htm

Get the tension correct before shaping or beveling anything. There's nothing worse then spending a bunch of time filing on an extractor with the wrong tension.

I had bookmarked this exact article. Thanks.

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8856 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by m.tenenhaus:
What a great way to learn about 1911s. i commend your efforts.

Glad you're starting out with an easy to chamber round like standard ball ammunition....i'm assuming you're using brand new springs with your brand new build

So as always start at the beginning.

First check the chamber...will a cartridge fall into and out of the chamber without difficulty. some call this a plunk test

Then i would check a different magazine to make sure its not a magazine problem. this can often be the problem. It looks like the magazine is in good shape but i would still try another one to be safe and sure.

As you've noted, would probably confirm extractor fit and tension

Also confirm that you have the prescribed 1/32 inch gap between the barrel and the ramp....i couldn't see this information on your photos.

Then might see if you're dealing with a 3 point jam problem or feed ramp problem or ramp angle (31.5 degrees).

some more info would sure help. Hopefully it's something easy like the magazine.

I always polish the ramp.... and while i don't really think that is the cause of the problem you're describing it feels and looks right.

You're probably using brand new springs but sometimes a good polish and a new and slightly more powerful recoil spring might help as would shooting a good hundred rounds especially if this is an intermittent problem and the extractor, magazine and plunk test all proved well.

I had one pistol where the magazine wasn't engaged high enough, a new higher seating magazine catch made all the difference in that somewhat unusual case. in that scenario the round was striking the feed ramp, not the chamber as you've shown.

Thank you sir. It's been a test in patience. But as one of my buddies said : "Now you know how to fish!"

Passes the plunk test no problem. So i'm pretty sure the chamber is fine.

Problem was intermittent with all x4 brand new Wilson Combat mags.

My money is on extractor too tight. I remember after I tensioned it and put it in. It was pretty hard to get it in. I'm betting I've got too much curve on it.

Not sure about the barrel & ramp. They are super close to each other. I can mic it out and see.

I could definitely polish the ramp some. Surely won't hurt it!

When I'm all done I'll post a little about the build.

Idiot by birth,
Asshole by choice
posted Hide Post
Extractor tension and shape.
If that doesn’t work, check your mag catch. Sometimes, if they are out of spec, the magazine is held too low to feed at the correct angle.
If that doesn’t work, check your feed ramp angle.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Georgia... 45 Minutes from everywhere....... | Registered: July 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You may also want to check the angle of the feed ramp on the frame. I think it should 31*. You can double check that 31* on line. If it is incorrect, it can be corrected on a mill.

Posts: 141 | Registered: June 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Longbow_06:

I think my instincts were right here. I adjusted the extractor back out a bit. It's feeding & ejecting empty cases now. Just need to get it to the range and see how it runs.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by myrottiety:
quote:

I think my instincts were right here. I adjusted the extractor back out a bit. It's feeding & ejecting empty cases now. Just need to get it to the range and see how it runs.

I commend you for building a 1911. I would never attempt to myself. I’m shocked at how fast you’ve made it along. I am real interested in seeing how it shoots, when you get it to the range.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
Originally posted by myrottiety:
quote:

I commend you for building a 1911. I would never attempt to myself. I’m shocked at how fast you’ve made it along. I am real interested in seeing how it shoots, when you get it to the range.

Thanks. I'll do a write up on my thoughts after I get it back out and ensure it runs.