SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    M&P 2.0 Metal
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

M&P 2.0 Metal Login/Join 
posted

I've ways liked the M&P series of handguns and they have always fit my hand good.
Ran across this at my LGS as I was off work today and running around. As soon as I picked it up, I loved the weight. The trigger is a huge improvement over the most of the line but I'll admit that I owned a 1.0 M&P and didn't mind the trigger. I know they're gritty and basically crap but I could shoot just fine.
Have not put any rounds through it and it's pissing rain/snow outside and my back acreage is flooded with all the rain I've had. There is an indoor range about half an hour away and I'm thinking about it but I hate paying money to shoot. See what happens.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackwater
posted Hide Post
I’ve been eyeing those, very nice. Please post a range report when you do get a chance to shoot it

Joe

Posts: 2525 | Location: Az | Registered: October 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ended up going to the indoor range and it's been years since I've been there. Had to shoot it so I sucked it up and paid.

This range is only 15 yards but it's nice and got to see how the pistol shot. First is the trigger. There's no need to get an Apex like the older M&P needed, this one is great out of the box and better than a stock trigger in a Glock by a mile. Reset is good and I can feel it.

Accuracy is just like most pistols. Nothing spectacular but good. I started out at 10 yards and put most in one ragged hole. Most pistols can do this easily. Out to 15 was about the same. One thing I do like is the sights are steel. I can do plastic Glock sights but steel is better.

Grip is excellent as you have a few grip inserts to choose from. Mine had the medium on when I got the pistol and I swapped it out for the small because of my finger. Very easy to do also. Pop the tool out of the magazine well, pop the grip off, new one on, replace tool and you're set. They are somewhat aggressive grips but not harsh. Grip angle I do believe is the same as a 1911.

All in all I'm pleased. Was kind of interested in this pistol when it was announced and it lived up to expectations.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
My pop has a new M&P and I agree with you on the trigger, it's quite good.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9671 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
Good score. I shot one of the new Metals last week on steel plates, and everything you said is on the mark.
I have progressed from 1.0s to 2.0s, and the Metal is by far the best trigger so far. I bet the fine folks at Apex are scratching their heads.
Enjoy.

Posts: 3804 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The M&P 2.0 9 Compact 4 inch barrel is my EDC and has been for several years. The size weight grip angle/size is really pretty close to perfect for me. There was nothing wrong with the trigger but I put in an Apex anyway and its better. Did not like the aggressive grip texture against my skin so I did add a rubber Talon. The only other thing I want to change is to put night sights on.

Posts: 546 | Location: S Fla / Western NC High Country | Registered: May 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
I'm digging their 2.0 Metal Competitor.

Q

Posts: 26196 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
I'm digging their 2.0 Metal Competitor.

They did not have that model but if I see one, I will likely purchase that one also.
I think the Competitor has an upgraded trigger compared to the base model?
I put 100 rounds of Blazer Brass and 50 HST's through it yesterday and enjoyed it.
Another thing to add is it's optic cut and comes with a variety of bases to fit most optics. The bases are plastic though. Not really a selling point for me as I still do iron sights but it could be for someone else.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Yes, trigger is upgraded, from their info page. Supposed to be Performance Center gun.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/p...competitor-17-rounds

Q

Posts: 26196 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your purchase!

I love mine. It was one of my rare impulse buys where I bought the first one I could find without reading a bunch of reviews. The M&P 2.0 is GTG. Recoil is about the same as the poly guns, maybe just a bit more. Accuracy is good, and seems to be much improved over the 1.0. My 25 yard groups during my qualification with it were as good as what I can do with my other striker pistols.

I've got about 300 rounds through mine with no failures. My only negatives are superficial: I do not like the trigger better than my Gen 5 Glocks or VP9. This is subjective, but I've never met an M&P trigger that was as good as most Glocks. On the 2.0 Metal, the "dead space" slack in the first 3/4 of the takeup drives me crazy. I prefer constant, predictable tension. The shoe itself is very good, as is the break. The reset is okay, IMHO.

When you shoot fast, the takedown lever gets too hot to touch which alters my support hand grip. Not a deal breaker at all, just annoying.

Overall, this is a fine handgun. The manufacturing quality of the Metal is really good. I really like the 2.0 series overall. So much so that when we upgrade my wife's HD pistol away from her Ruger LCR .38, this is what I'll suggest to her, as she really likes the Metal.

Posts: 1087 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Yes, trigger is upgraded, from their info page. Supposed to be Performance Center gun.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/p...competitor-17-rounds

I handled one at SHOT, and as my buddy says, "It's a thing." The balance is superb, as are the sights.

Posts: 1087 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not a bad pistol. I was just shooting mine the other day. Trigger isn't among my best strikers, but certainly decent. The balance is very good overall.

Posts: 1315 | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bac, you're just making my desire for one worse with those pictures.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joatmonv:
Bac, you're just making my desire for one worse with those pictures.

I recommend the Competitor. It’s not much more than the standard model.

The Performance Center is no longer a high end custom shop. It’s just a name for slide cuts and trigger upgrades and/or sight upgrades

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
What's the point of a metal "competitor" gun that weighs about the same as the polymer gun?

Posts: 4125 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
What's the point of a metal "competitor" gun that weighs about the same as the polymer gun?

Better rigidity, higher quality

Mr. Nice Guy
Picture of BucFan
posted Hide Post
I purchased the standard metal from DaBigBR at a pretty competitive price. Feels great in the hand and, to me, very aesthetically pleasing.

I buy aftermarket optic plates because I do not like their plastic ones.

I'm a fan of the M2.0 guns and S&W currently has various rebates on their firearms. Not sure if it includes the Competitor though.

S&W rebates

Sig P229R 9mm - Sig P365 NRA
Sig P320C 9mm - Sig P320 FS .40

Posts: 1045 | Location: FL | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BucFan:
I purchased the standard metal from DaBigBR at a pretty competitive price. Feels great in the hand and, to me, very aesthetically pleasing.

I buy aftermarket optic plates because I do not like their plastic ones.

I'm a fan of the M2.0 guns and S&W currently has various rebates on their firearms. Not sure if it includes the Competitor though.

S&W rebates

Does not have the Metal or Metal Competitor on the rebate. My LGS had the papers with the firearms included on the rebate near the cash register. I looked and no go.

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:

Does not have the Metal or Metal Competitor on the rebate.
My LGS had the papers with the firearms included on the rebate near the cash register.
I looked and no go.

Isn't the Metal also 2.0's?
I didn't see specifically list "meta;" but the the Metal is a 2.0.
Or did you get further clarification from S&W?

Posts: 22851 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:

Does not have the Metal or Metal Competitor on the rebate.
My LGS had the papers with the firearms included on the rebate near the cash register.
I looked and no go.

Isn't the Metal also 2.0's?
I didn't see specifically list "meta;" but the the Metal is a 2.0.
Or did you get further clarification from S&W?

It is a 2.0 but the flyer handout from S&W that had the firearms listed available for rebate did not have the Metal listed.