SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What’s old is new - 1985 Beretta 92F Compact
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What’s old is new - 1985 Beretta 92F Compact Login/Join 
Picture of bcjwriter
posted
So I picked up a 92 F Compact I sold years ago. After some research it turns out this was made in 1985. Compared to modern polymer guns I know it’s kind of a brick - but I can’t get over how smooth the action is. The funny part is I’m going to be carrying a gun that is older than a bunch of the officers I work with…

Any other Beretta lovers out there carry these?

Posts: 1965 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
My first gun when I turned 21 was an old 92FS...it's actually the basis for my username here. It's a darn good looking gun, incredibly reliable, and like you said, SMOOOTH! The slide feels like it runs on greased ball bearings.

The only thing I don't like about the 92 is the trigger. It's not the weight, or the pull...both of those are fine (actually excellent, since I added a D Spring and an LTT trigger bar)...it's how far back it breaks. I about have to contort my hand to get it all the way back to the break. As a result, I have migrated my carry stuff to DA/SA Sigs (I prefer the Sig decocker, too).

That said, one of my grail guns is still a 92SB Compact Type M...the single-stack variant. I'd give my left nut for one of those. I'd even be ok with a new production one if Beretta would bring it back, especially if it was a G-model.

Oh, and come on man, you can't post about getting a new Beretta and not post pictures! Big Grin. I mean, it's not like it's some ugly brick-like plastic appliance...we're talking about one of the sexiest handguns ever made!

Posts: 8568 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
What's not to love?
Beautiful lines. Better than smooth action, (and with a few minor mods, amazing trigger for a DA/SA), accurate & iconic.
I could never part with my M9A1 or my Inox compact.
I'm a sucker for the 81 series as well. Especially the model 86. The 380 with a tip up barrel. I've seen two for sale. Missed them both but someday.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 706 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Very nice! I grabbed a nice 1990 92FS a few months ago and I’m with 92FStech on, well, all of it. With the same parts swapped out for my trigger, the DA pull feels just like a really smooth revolver to me. Haven’t shot it yet, so I can’t speak to thee try of the trigger pull beyond that, but the reset in SA is about a few millimeters. It’s nothing, and shocked me when I noticed it.

I kinda want to carry mine also. But I know when I do, I’ll immediately be very aware of why I switched from Sigs to Glocks for carry.

Posts: 17125 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Here are my two 92SB's. One is double stack the other is single stack.

Posts: 1570 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beretta Compacts, what's not to like!

Posts: 760 | Location: Athol, ID | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:

Oh, and come on man, you can't post about getting a new Beretta and not post pictures! Big Grin. I mean, it's not like it's some ugly brick-like plastic appliance...we're talking about one of the sexiest handguns ever made!

Working on it. Waiting to meet the seller to do the transfer...then gun goes to gun jail for 10 days...

Posts: 1965 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blue Dog:

Here are my two 92SB's. One is double stack the other is single stack.

quote:
then gun goes to gun jail for 10 days...

That's just sad. Frown

Posts: 8568 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
There is a mystique & mechanical elegance to the 92 design. Love my Berettas. Easy pistols to modify into exceptional shooters.

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Vino Veritas
Picture of Jaycat
posted Hide Post
Last year my wife got me a LTT Beretta 92 compact. All the bells and whistles, blue VG grips. 6.5lb (ish) double action trigger and shoot WAY better than me.

Love this thing!

Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun!!!

Posts: 1039 | Location: Clarksville TN | Registered: November 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dcowboyscr
posted Hide Post
quote:
My first gun when I turned 21 was an old 92FS...it's actually the basis for my username here. It's a darn good looking gun, incredibly reliable, and like you said, SMOOOTH! The slide feels like it runs on greased ball bearings.

The only thing I don't like about the 92 is the trigger. It's not the weight, or the pull...both of those are fine (actually excellent, since I added a D Spring and an LTT trigger bar)...it's how far back it breaks. I about have to contort my hand to get it all the way back to the break. As a result, I have migrated my carry stuff to DA/SA Sigs (I prefer the Sig decocker, too).

That said, one of my grail guns is still a 92SB Compact Type M...the single-stack variant. I'd give my left nut for one of those. I'd even be ok with a new production one if Beretta would bring it back, especially if it was a G-model.

Have you tried replacing the trigger with the aluminum “match” trigger Berettas uses in the 92X Performance? I put those on all my berettas now. They’re a different shape and the SA trigger breaks slightly forward.

"Clear Eyes. Full Hearts. Can't Lose."

Posts: 3093 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana, USA | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Have you tried replacing the trigger with the aluminum “match” trigger Berettas uses in the 92X Performance? I put those on all my berettas now. They’re a different shape and the SA trigger breaks slightly forward.

I have not, but I'll look into it. Thanks for the tip!

Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Now I have to watch lethal weapon again for some old school Beretta 92 action Big Grin

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15579 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
When I was hired by my agency back in 1989, they were in the process of transitioning to DA/SA SIGs from their S&W revolvers. The new SIGs were being issued by seniority, so new hires were going to be a while. The policy was that you could carry your own semi-auto in 9mm or .45 once the Range Master approved your gun.

Having left the Army, my last issued gun was a Beretta 9mm, so I purchased a Beretta 92FC (13 round mags) and carried that during the academy and my first year. My first qual at my agency, I shot the top score with that gun. Just after my first year I was issued my SIG P226 and shortly after sold off the Beretta.

I liked the Beretta 9mm, but that DA pull was loooooooooong.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1898 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
I have an ss SB compact that I love. Its in to Wilson for a fiber optic sight.

Posts: 2306 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
I picked up my Compact 2 years ago when the Egyptian contract overruns hit the market. I think they were going in the low $400s IIRC. Hard to pass up any Beretta for that price.

The 15 round MecGar compact mags were just the icing on the cake. I swapped out the curved basepads for flat ones and still have no problem getting a full grip on the gun (juuuuust barely Big Grin )

One of my carry guns - converted it to "G", added an extended mag release, LTT grips, and went with a 14lb mainspring.

Posts: 12542 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xanth:
Beretta Compacts, what's not to like!

And just like that, I feel my "collection" is inadequate, LOL. Very nice!
LaMont in AZ

Posts: 41 | Location: Apache Junction, AZ | Registered: November 08, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wacopolumbo
posted Hide Post
quote:

One of my favorites, factory 92G Compact Type M. I had WAL over on Beretta Forum install a barrel bushing. Factory night sights replaced several years ago and a refinish job after I wore the finish down pretty well. It shoots incredibly. Love the Beretta 92 series. At one point I had a bunch of Beretta 92/96 series GATz. I'm down to about a dozen now.

Regards,
Waco

Learning from my mistakes since 1974...

Posts: 1713 | Location: Yorktown, VA | Registered: July 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
^^^ Eek Eek Eek

And you know what, even with all that awesome, that Type M is still my favorite. Amazing collection you have there, sir!

Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
My only one. 84F

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post