SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    How many rounds are you comfortable with?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How many rounds are you comfortable with? Login/Join 
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I have been generally ok with a 5 shot J and a couple extra speed loaders or strips but I don’t generally carry a J often these days.

More often then not I carry a P2000 in .40 or 9mm and generally am totally ok with just the mag on board so 13-16 rounds depending.

Anything 10+ I am fine. Less then 10 I may want a reload.

I guess I get less hung up on capacity then I do platform. More is always better to a point but it’s not my driving factor. 8-10 rounds of .45 is fine. I think my sweet spot is 12-15 rounds as far as guns I like in the size I like.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7622 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
P320C, 15+1, plus a 15 round spare mag. If I was concerned about something or had "a feeling" this might be the day, I would bring two more mags if possible.

-c1steve

Posts: 4038 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Truth
Picture of Luis
posted Hide Post
I feel just fine with my Glock 42 7 round. And im fine with my S&W mod 36 5 round.

If I were LE, id take my P229 with as many extra mags that they allow or I could attach to my gear vest.

Posts: 4328 | Location: A hop, skip and a jump from the bayou. S East Tx, USA | Registered: October 13, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of magholderusa
posted Hide Post
I always carry 8 + 8! And the spare 8 is always in my Magholder mag pouch! I didn't use to carry the spare but then felt inclined to be as prepared as possible! Even if for just fixing a jam or issue with the pistol! Cycling a new magazine fixes the problem most of the time.

Ricky Taggart
Magholder.com
Utah, USA

Posts: 216 | Location: Cedar Hills, UT, USA | Registered: September 28, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37071 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
All the rounds that fit in the gun and then that number again with maybe a few more. My winter carry is a Glock 45 with 18 in it, plus a 17rd magazine with a +2 on it. So 37.

Posts: 17041 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Five in the Model 60, .357 Smith that's often my companion. Ten in the P365 when it's aboard. Rod

5th Spl Forces, Air Force Bird Dog FAC, lll Corps RVN 69-70.... We enjoy the Bill of Rights by the sacrifices of our veterans;
Politicians, Preachers, Educators, Journalists and Community Organizers are beneficiaries, not defenders of our freedoms.

Posts: 725 | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
17+1 in the gun and a spare 17 round mag for my normal carry out and about.

If I’m on the road, it’s 17+1 in the gun and 2 spare 17 round mags.

quote:
Originally posted by techguy:
What’s the least amount of rounds you’re comfortable carrying in your daily carry pistol?

Posts: 874 | Location: NE Pennsylvania | Registered: December 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Five or six, in the gun, per gun. It depends upon which weapon(s) are being carried that day. If I am carrying service-type autos, well, I will load them to their capacity.

I know, and accept, that the fight will probably be decided with the ammo that is inside the weapon, at the start of the fight. I do not perform at my best with wide-body/wide-grip handguns, and will not compromise performance, in order to have more rounds in the gun. (I have somewhat long hands, but my fingers and thumbs are not long.)

Have Colts, will travel

Posts: 3188 | Location: SE Texas | Registered: April 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
It depends on where and what I'm doing. At work it's 17+1 of 9mm, a BUG, a couple of spare mags on me and more in the car, plus a rifle and a 12 gauge. But at work I actively go looking for trouble or get sent to it.

When I'm out and about in town, where I might encounter an "acquaintance" from work, It's 6+1 and an 8 round reload, of .45. I'm not looking for trouble when I'm off, but if necessary I'm prepared to deal with it.

In recent years with all the unrest, I've been inclined to carry a full-size duty pistol with a 17-round reload and more in the door pocket if I have to go into any of the bigger urban areas (something I've always tried very hard to avoid even before the recent stupidity, especially since the nearest big city is Chiraq).

Around the house or out running or hiking in the woods, 5 shots in a J or L-frame will do it. I'm actively avoiding trouble in these situations, not likely to encounter crowds of multiple assailants, and my ability to carry a bunch of bulk and weight is somewhat restricted by my attire and activities.

Posts: 8385 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
Used to be 8+8, now 15+15. Cool

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
I'm comfortable with 10 rounds in the gun, but I do always have a spare mag in my vehicle.

Posts: 1957 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
For me it's not so much how many rounds with which I'm comfortable as how many rounds I can reasonably or comfortably carry.

My Ruger LCP holds 7+1. With a spare mag in a pocket, when I've a spare pocket for it, that's fifteen.

My 1911's hold 7+1 and 9+1. With a spare mag that gives me fifteen to nineteen.

When I'm wearing my .40 S&W P239 SAS in a shoulder rig I've 7+1 plus another fourteen in off-side mag carriers for a total of twenty-two.

My 1911 shoulder rig will allow me to carry a total of twenty-two to twenty-eight.

My Sig P320F in .45 ACP gives me 10+1. With a double mag holder that's thirty-one.

So, anywhere from eight to thirty-one, depending.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25988 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Five in a AirLite Ti J frame or 14 in a P30. During the summer of love I usually had a couple cans of contact cleaner handy in the truck as well.

“That’s what.” - She

Posts: 322 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: June 06, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
1 is more than the average person has so anything there or above gives you a huge advantage.

Posts: 9441 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
But is that the right metric? What I'd want is the biggest possibility advantage over a possible attackers. At the same time, it has to be something I'd be willing to carry all the time.

quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
1 is more than the average person has so anything there or above gives you a huge advantage.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I make do most days with 10+1 on board and another 10 in a spare mag. That’s for the average driving around, hitting the store, gas, etc.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15497 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm least comfortable with anything less than 8-10 rounds in the gun. A spare magazine is a must.

Lots of videos out there now of Tide pod eating idiots soaking up quite a few handgun rounds.

Off-duty: Shield .45 15 rounds (7+1/7).
Glock 43X 21 rounds (10+1/10).
On-Duty: Glock 45 9mm 39 rounds (19+1/19).
These are with +2 OEM extensions.

I'm not on the street anymore, so this is my academy loadout. If I were back out on patrol, I'd have 20 in the gun and 3 mags of 19 with a G43 BUG.

Posts: 1086 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

The average person doesn't rob people or try to shoot one. I'm not worried about him/her. I'm worried about the punk with the G17 or worse yet, two punks each with a G17.

Posts: 5731 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog7972:
quote:

The average person doesn't rob people or try to shoot one. I'm not worried about him/her. I'm worried about the punk with the G17 or worse yet, two punks each with a G17.

Or the G-26 with the extended magazine, or the AR/AK "shawty" (AR/AK pistol, for those of you not in "the Hood".)

As for the 11 month old re-hash of the question "How many rounds are you comfortable with?"

I was mildly comfortable with 11 magazines of 5.56 and a 200 rd belt of 7.62. But that was also 30 years ago, and my knees, back and shoulders weren't shot.
Now, I try to carry at least one extra magazine of whatever the "gun-de-jour" is. There's at least one extra magazine in the car. Home, well... There's slightly more than one or two laying about. Work- 3 for the pistol, sometimes one AR magazine on my belt, 2 AR 2 G-21 mags in my bag.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8313 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post