SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    230 vs 232
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

230 vs 232 Login/Join 
posted
What is the difference between these two Sigs? Is it mag capacity, caliber etc.? Aren't they both 32 or 380 calibers?

Dum Spiro Pugno

Posts: 174 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 24, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
The first SIG P230 came out in 1996, then replaced by the P232. Mostly exterior cosmetic: slab grips vs palm swell grips (different fasteners), variations in slide serrations, fixed front sight vs dovetailed/pinned front sight (night sights option), all black finish, all stainless finish, two tone finish with alloy frame, metal magazine base plates vs polymer magazine base plates. Available in rare .32acp with a slide mounted thumb safety (Asian Police model) and common .380acp. Rumors of a .22 version but never confirmed that I recall.

More information/images available on the internet if you're still curious.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mr. Waffles
Picture of cherokee2u
posted Hide Post
IIRC the P232 came out in 96. The P230 came out in 77 or 78

A shepherd must tend his flock....and at times fight off the wolves

Posts: 2988 | Location: Carolina | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
There was also a change in feedramp geometry to improve feeding reliability with hollowpoint ammo with the 232, though there was one update in this area to later models of the 230 also!

Posts: 4589 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cherokee2u:
IIRC the P232 came out in 96. The P230 came out in 77 or 78

You're right, I misspoke. I should have caught that as my first P230 was issued to me in 1994.

The P230 was designed in 1977 and imported by SIGARMS into the USA in 1985. Not sure if SIG is still producing the P232(?). According to below it only shows being produced to 2015.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIG_Sauer_P230

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
that's correct the 23X is no longer produced.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
Couldn't compete with all the plastic guns with no sex appeal. You know, an ugly little pice of tupperware is so much better made, so much better looking, and better handling that that gawd awful metal sig beauty that handles great, looks great, and shoots great. There's just no competition right there. A beautiful Italian woman is no where near as beautiful than a, what ? A block of black plastic. Yea, that's why, exactly.

Ooops, I made a mistake. German women are not like Italian women. Apologies to all German women, beautiful or otherwise.

I own a EC p230 made in Germany. That gun is really special compared to most other 380 acp guns. I think the 230 is better than the 232, there's just something clean and pure about the 230, you know, like German women. Apologies again to German women. Damn, I should quit doing that.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8686 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tcfiero
posted Hide Post
The early 230's had mags with slots on the side instead of witness holes. They did not have some of the safety features brought up in the 232. Some of the later years did have some of the upgrades. I have two 1995's that have the rebounding hammers. The 232's changed the slide serrations to wider and less in number. The early 232 had slanted seration while the later ones were upright. The stainless mags also changed to a plastic nameplate. Later 232 Stainless dropped the SL after the 232 on the slide. I do not think the 230 came in a two tone like the 232.

Posts: 327 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: June 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tcfiero
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FenderBender:
that's correct the 23X is no longer produced.

The 239 is.

Posts: 327 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: June 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all for the info.

Dum Spiro Pugno

Posts: 174 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 24, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Never owned or shot either, wasn't the 230 more prone to slide bite?

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8349 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
They sure did. But I've never had that problem with any gun because my hands on on the smaller side of the tracks, without a lot of meat on them. Just another reason for me loving that model.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8686 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
For your reading pleasure...

A great P232 review comparing the two http://www.nramuseum.org/media...172/Nov-Dec%2098.pdf

A great P230 review

http://www.chuckhawks.com/sig_p230.htm

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As was pointed out, the 230 was designed in the late 70s. It was imported initially by Hawes Firearms IIRC.

Posts: 2011 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post