SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Opinions please...H&K P2000SK w/LEM trigger at LGS...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinions please...H&K P2000SK w/LEM trigger at LGS... Login/Join 
I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted
Local store has a used H&K P2000SK 9mm w/LEM trigger, box, two mags, for $550. It fits my hand well. I have never owned a H&K before, but am attracted to this one. Wanted to check with you experts first, and get some opinions of that configuration. Thanks!

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1857 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Gun is sound, excellent really. Price is decent.

LEM is a perfectly safe and well engineered system that folks tend to either love or hate. I HAAAAAATTTTEEEE it. Smile. Seriously though, for me personally, I just really don’t like the reset/movement of the hammer on reset.

Again that’s not saying LEM is inherently bad it’s just that I don’t prefer it.

Awesome gun though.

Chris

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just bought that identical gun used for $574 so you beat me. I would buy it in a heartbeat.

I just took mine shooting yesterday for the first time. I had already swapped into Trijicon HD’s, and added Grayguns short reset kit and flat trigger. The gun annoyed me because I actually shot it better than it’s bigger kin, the P30.

I love the P30 and was surprised to find I was shooting tighter groups. Hmmm. The P30 were good but the P2SK was a ragged hole.

See if HK USA is still selling the extended mags at 20 bucks a pop. After you buy this of course.

No brainer. Go buy it.

To add to what Chris says. I agree for the most part. I have also been meh on LEM until I bought a P2000 in LEM. I loved it in that gun. Then I found the flat triggers from GG’s. They are like the peanut butter to HK jelly in a PB&J. They just work better together.

Posts: 7347 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
I agree w/ everything cslinger posted.

The LEM trigger is polarizing. Users either like it a lot or hate it. It's a variation on DAO, so like Sig's DAK or Kahr's DAO, you really need to try it before you buy it. If long pre-travel/take-up bothers you, you will probably hate it, b/c LEM by design is meant to have very long take-up.

As pedro mentioned, I highly recommend the GG short reset kit as well as the larger HK 45 paddle mag release lever.

Posts: 3172 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh yea, I forgot the mag release. I could be wrong but I think it is technically the HK45C mag release. Cheap easy improvement. Remember to try HK USA webstore first, not HK Parts. The price differential is astounding. Apparently HK doesn't hate you anymore.

As good as the short reset kit is, I think the flat trigger is better.

It sounds like you need to change a bunch of stuff on this gun. You don't. You just ran into a bunch of HK guys so we change out some stuff. The gun is really good as is. With the proper upgrades I think they are the best guns in class. Seriously.

This might get me on para's bad side, lol, but this gun is a better G26. In LEM it is outstanding.

Posts: 7347 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The p2000sk is a great gun, and I own numerous H&Ks. Personally I am a da/sa guy, so no lem for me. The 45c mag release is a must and really cheap. I need to do the flat trigger as well, though not sure I am comfortable with that job myself. I say it’s a great gun and platform, and you can easily sell it for that price if it doesn’t work out for you.

Posts: 1621 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
but this gun is a better G26

Ooooo hmmmmmm interesting food for thought.

I think the P2000sk is a more versatile gun the G26 owing to it being a tad bit bigger and having a rail, trigger options etc. etc. I think the G26 with a flat 10 rounder is a DAMN good carry gun even to this day and is also fairly versatile.

I PREFER the HK but it’s hard to throw too much shade at the OG G26 Smile. I mean I’m not kicking either out of bed for eating crackers if you know what I mean. Wink

My suggestion as far as the P2K/SK goes is run it stock and go from there. While the larger paddles are nice the smaller paddles are no issue and I have itty bitty stubby hands Smile. The triggers are not bad out of the box. They will never live up to GOOD triggers but they are not as bad as folks would have you believe, that said as above I don’t personally like the LEM system. Hell even the stock sights are good quality steel affairs and perfectly serviceable. Spend your money on mags, ammo and maybe a couple x grip sleeves to give you a 10 round flat, 10 round pinky, 13 round and 17 round option. (Or 12/15/17 no idea where HK is across the mag board at the moment but that’s all just statistical noise).

IF You find yourself wanting to change things the options are out there and fairly easy to do. You probably want a TRS tool though, hell I should buy one. Smile

Anyhooo. Take care and shoot safe.
Chris

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
1 other HK caveat and honestly new gun caveat in general. I know this is a used gun but treat it like new and clean it, run it wet, and use hotter and or heavier ammo for the first 2 or 3 boxes of ammo. Sometimes these guns, especially the small ones and especially in 9mm can have some early teething issues with 115 grain or other light powder puff stuff.

Also ……. No your frame rails are not made of plastic and no they are not disintegrating. They tend to have some plastic flashing over them that wears off with use. So don’t be alarmed to see a little plastic residue early on or slivers, it’s from the rails wearing in. The actual rails are steel.

I started with nothing,
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for your input, I appreciate it. Will stop in again with a snap cap and ask to play with the trigger some more. I dry fired it once today, but need to spend more time with it. Also want to know if the box contains manual, extra grip panels, etc. I like S&W revolver and Sig DA, maybe this one will grow on me as well.

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1857 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just to be clear, a P2000SK doesn’t have grip panels just back straps. The P30SK has side panels and back straps.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
That's excellent price. And, I would take LEM (or better yet, LEM light) over their non-match DA/SA any days.

Q

Posts: 26204 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
I LOVE the P2000SK, but mine is a 357SIG and it is a TDA

As to the trigger, I have never warmed up to any DAO auto loader. Though I do admit that HK's LEM and SIGs DAK are better than the run of the mill DAOs

Of the 3 P2000SKs I have fired (none were 9MM), all were exceptionally accurate. Much more accurate than a tiny pocket gun deserves to be

The P2000SK uses a shorter version of the HK USPc magazine. So your reload can be the longer magazine. The good folks at X-grip make a spacer that improves things even more

With the higher capacity magazine installed it still looks pretty good

Now you do not need the X-grip spacer to make the longer magazine work, it just looks and feels better with it in place.

I have never changed anything from the stock configuration on mine and I have been shooting it for 16 years so far. The standard magazine release is just fine for me

As to Glocks, I do not own one, I will never buy one, I even gave the FREE one back to Glock. If I am issued one I carry it and have no problem qualifying with it.

Now don't get me wrong I am not disrespecting the Glock. Glock is a reasonably accurate, reasonably reliable firearm, I just do not like them

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5176 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
Just to be clear, a P2000SK doesn’t have grip panels just back straps. The P30SK has side panels and back straps.

Right, as a Sig and S&W guy I'm accustomed to thinking panels, but know what you mean.

Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
quote:

Correct. I am currently considering a new HK P30SKS. There is a light LEM variant but I HATE LEM. Smile I am waiting for it to be available with the new 15, 12, and 12 round mags.

Posts: 6606 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I'd probably like LEM if that was all I shot. It's weird feeling to me. It's more like a really long 2 stage single action. The first long light pull cocks the hammer back and then a little more pressure sets it off. I liked it for slow fire, but as soon as I tried shooting rapidly it went straight to crap for me. It's a me issue, not a problem with the system really.

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I have 2 p2000sk guns, standard LEM, 9 & 40. I think we have to start with talking about the use of such a gun, range or carry? For most anyone, they would prefer a 1911 type s/a trigger for target shooting.

The LEM trigger really shines for safe CC, or duty carry, IMHO. The p2000sk is my top choice for CC. I’m a ‘low probability’ CC participant, I start with ultra safe carry, then dirt simple deployment. Yes, I know, different strokes, different folks.

From safe carry, to deployment at CC distances(IN mall shooting aside) LEM is a fine choice.

I have two ‘lite’ LEM guns also, that I converted. For regular carry, standard LEM suits me fine.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For both of you P30SK and VP9SK guys, HK USA is blowing out the older, lower capacity mags at 20 bucks each if you buy 5 or 22 for one. That is a great deal. Don’t even have to buy the X Grip adapter.

posted Hide Post
I have 2000sk’s in both 9 and 40. The 9 is v3 the 40 is LEM. I have never been able to warm up to the LEM so it just sits. I’ve tried but I just can’t like it

Posts: 448 | Location: Marblehead ohio | Registered: January 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m going to say something that jljones
could say much more eloquently. LEM triggers need to be shot using the “prep the trigger” technique to wring the best performance out of them.

That method, using different terms, was taught to me when I shot my first LEM. I thought it was a bit nutty at first. Took me forever to warm up to the concept but once you do LEM not only makes sense, it’s makes for a great trigger as well.

Hopefully jljones corrects any mistakes I make but basically as you draw and bring the gun to centerline at eye level you “prep” or take out the LEM slack as you press the gun out. By the point you get to normal extension you already are at the wall and you break the shot. Turns the gun into an SAO basically.

Once you get the hang of that LEM is amazing. Obviously it works with any gun to varying degrees depending on the guns action.

Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’m going to say something that jljones
could say much more eloquently. LEM triggers need to be shot using the “prep the trigger” technique to wring the best performance out of them.

That method, using different terms, was taught to me when I shot my first LEM. I thought it was a bit nutty at first. Took me forever to warm up to the concept but once you do LEM not only makes sense, it’s makes for a great trigger as well.

Hopefully jljones corrects any mistakes I make but basically as you draw and bring the gun to centerline at eye level you “prep” or take out the LEM slack as you press the gun out. By the point you get to normal extension you already are at the wall and you break the shot. Turns the gun into an SAO basically.

Once you get the hang of that LEM is amazing. Obviously it works with any gun to varying degrees depending on the guns action.

I came to say the same thing. Prepping through the light portion of LEM, if you're familiar with the concept from DA triggers, is night and day difference.

I have a few LEM HK pistols, and I prefer that trigger system over their DA/SA for sure. I might feel different with a tuned trigger, but the heavy hook shape of the HK triggers always threw me off when shooting both DA and SA. I've had factory heavy, standard, light, and match LEM triggers and they honestly all felt very usable to the point I almost don't have a preference. I like that my competition USP is match LEM, but I never felt that heavy LEM in my HK45 slowed me down or anything.

I owned a P2000sk some years back. It was very slippery in my hands and I could never shoot it well regardless of extensions and grip mods, so it didn't stay in the collection too long. The HK45c I still have is the same story, so the standard P2000 was never something I went after. Which is unfortunate, because I feel like the P2000/HK45c are the best looking of the 'modern' HK pistols. The P30/VP9/HK45 certainly stick in my hand like glue, but they don't have that certain joi de vivre of the USP/MK23/P2000. The only HK on my list is a USPc 9mm in LEM.

Anyway OP - I'd make sure you put rounds down range is all. The few HK pistols I regret are from disappointment after the first shots - P2ksk, HK45c, P7

Posts: 6029 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post