SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    For personal collection, how much do you value box and manual?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

For personal collection, how much do you value box and manual? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
If I get a box and papers with a gun, I keep them as I often get asked for them when selling the gun later. Makes the sale happen too, sometimes.
But if I dont get the box and papers, its no big deal.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16093 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:
For personal collection, how much do you value box and manual?
And target when applicable, if you had no intentions of ever selling, would you say 200$?

I know it depends on the gun, so let's say current production. Not a collectible.

The gun will be sold at some point, by me or my heirs, and the original box and papers will add value (I think at least 10-15%) So I keep them.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7098 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
I'm looking at a P229 SSE, and looks like I can get without the box for about 150 less. I drive that have it all original but I think for that price I can find an old box later and just be happy with it.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6318 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Zero.

Just more crap for me to store.

I toss it all pretty soon after deciding to keep something.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I keep all boxes and papers with a gun purchase. Circe 1998 I bought a Colt Python with its box and sold it on Gunbroker in 2008. I am sure the box added to what I eventually got for it, but I can't tell you how much. Nothing I have currently is, or is likely to be, a collector's item, but it can't hurt to keep the boxes.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
And target when applicable, if you had no intentions of ever selling, would you say 200$?

I know it depends on the gun, so let's say current production. Not a collectible.

How about $0.00.
While I do keep boxes of guns bought new, and no doubt my heirs will appreciate it, I attach no value to them for my own part.

Posts: 3287 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know that I value them but I do keep them.
Every firearm I own has a box, manual, lock, chamber flag in some cases and target if included.
I doubt I'll sell anything but if I did, the buyer might appreciate those items.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Hard plastic, padded boxes are handy to ship the gun in. They are already reinforced and padded, so all you need is a box to put the box in.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
I like to have the box and papers on firearms in my collection. I value them typically between $20 and $200 depending on the firearm. I have some that don’t have boxes for a number of reasons and on modern guns it really just doesn’t matter much today.

Here’s a perfect example of a box dilemma that doesn’t make sense. At one point I had 5 S&W 686 CS-1 revolvers (4 3 inch, and 1 4 inch8). The Custom Service turn in guns would not have boxes and the over runs would. I sold one of my 3 inch guns to a retired Customs Service agent that carried that specific model as a newly minted agent. I currently have a box for one 3 inch and the 4 inch and that supposedly makes them more valuable, but does it really? It’s impossible to really tell if a model was issued or sold commercially. Many people speculate based on stamping, but my research indicates it is not accurate. I bet if I sold them at auction the boxed ones would fetch more money, I did not pay a premium for either.

Posts: 2959 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
It used to be, some listings in The Blue Book of Gun Values said to add x amount or such if original box etc were included.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I too like to have the factory box and any other items that came with gun... if possible. I have no plan to sell or trade any of my handguns but I still like to have the factory box. This to point that a few I've acquired I had to later actually buy a box to go with them.

As a side note and what I realized was a joke on me: about a year or so ago I thought the Sig pistols I had bought over the last year or two were a secret I was keeping from my wife. Then one day I realized that the factory boxes they came in I had stored over the cabinets in our combined storage area in our house.... where we keep spare food in cabinets and a freezer. Here is the sig pistol factory boxes....

The red tape means there are spare extra magazines inside.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It all depends if the item is going to be shot a lot, or modified. IF so, I prefer not to incorporate any weight into the box, papers, targets (if it has it) and tools.

If the item is going to be shot little or a collection piece then Yes I do put weight on all those ancillary items.

For instance.
P228 I plan to carry (and I am pulling numbers out my ass) I would pay up to 650 wooden duckets.

A P228 that I want to pick ANIB, and shoot rarely, I would pay up to 1100 to 1400 wooden duckets. From my final price dependant on condition of the firearm, I would subtract up to 35% in total for any of those ancillary items that are missing.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
I keep all my boxes as it helps for resale and I like to keep everything that comes from the factory anyway. As far as value, most I’d say are about 20-30 bucks worth maybe, but I do have the camo case that came with my HK Mark 23 from 1997 that alone has been valued at $300+ so I’m glad I keep the cases!

Posts: 4611 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
I prefer to have all the "stuff" that originally came with a gun, but I won't pay extra for those items when buying a gun. If it doesn't have them, well so be it; I'm buying the gun, not ancillary items!

Posts: 4587 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
For personal collection, how much do you value box and manual?

In that case, not a whole lot, maybe 20 dollars top. But, I'm not sure why it matters, since you're not going to ever sell it.

i can't recall how many times i said i'd "never sell/trade" a firearm when i sold them!!

Posts: 2213 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does not add much value to me. I keep all boxes and manuals but rarely look at them. If it did not help with a sale, I may not even keep them.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

Posts: 883 | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I do not plan to sell then it does not mean much to me. I look at some of the most expensive and impressive guns I've purchased and none came with a box.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Even current production garden variety guns I keep the box and papers.
I tend to change guns as often as socks, so when it comes time to sell,I think the buyer perceives a current owner with all original box and papers likely took very good care of the gun, or did not shoot it much.
While I can’t say it adds value at sale time, I think it may convince a buyer to purchase who might otherwise be on the fence

Posts: 3292 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The factory cases are not huge, and are a good place to store original parts in. Why people get rid of them is beyond me, but not a deal breaker if I want to buy a gun without one. Not worth what people sell them for!

Posts: 465 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post