SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Seeking Ammunition Recommendation for H&K P7
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seeking Ammunition Recommendation for H&K P7 Login/Join 
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
Another rec for James. He is excellent.

Posts: 3248 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
This is the truth. James knows more than anyone on the P7, he's gone through all my P7's before I shot any of them. You'll never talk to a nicer fellow either.

Posts: 916 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Retired old fat motor cop
posted Hide Post
I carried on duty and shot a lot with my P7M13. Practice was Nato 124 fmj, carry was 9BPLE, never even had a hiccup. I forget round count, but was north of 15k.
Another in the long line of stuff I never should have let go.

" Life is full of choices', Choices have consequences."

Posts: 698 | Location: New England | Registered: October 01, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SPG:

I carried on duty and shot a lot with my P7M13. Practice was Nato 124 fmj
Question for you: Why did you choose NATO 124 gr FMJ for practice, as opposed to the many choices of other 9mm range ammunition? Reason I'm asking, I have a strong feeling that I read someplace that this was the prevalent ammunition when the P7 went into duty for police use in Germany, and the pistol was designed to function well with this ammunition, but I cannot remember where I read this.

That is really the question that I was asking when I started this thread, so any light that you can shed on it would be helpful.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30536 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Retired old fat motor cop
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by SPG:

I carried on duty and shot a lot with my P7M13. Practice was Nato 124 fmj
Question for you: Why did you choose NATO 124 gr FMJ for practice, as opposed to the many choices of other 9mm range ammunition? Reason I'm asking, I have a strong feeling that I read someplace that this was the prevalent ammunition when the P7 went into duty for police use in Germany, and the pistol was designed to function well with this ammunition, but I cannot remember where I read this.

That is really the question that I was asking when I started this thread, so any light that you can shed on it would be helpful.

as you know P7 was a German police pistol, P13 is just his husky brother
why I chose the two loadings, simple, I was able to get them in quantity for prices that younger me with much more disposable income thought was a hell of idea. buy (somewhat) cheap, stack deep.

At the time my parents had no idea what was stockpiled in the back of the basement.

" Life is full of choices', Choices have consequences."

Posts: 698 | Location: New England | Registered: October 01, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Rogue and Blackguard
Picture of FPNunes
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
That being said, aside from cleaning it,
I'd change the recoil spring as you might have excessive slide speed causing the stovepipes.

P7s have very specific tolerances when it comes to the gas piston diameter and the gas chamber.

In an effort to scrape the carbon off the piston and from the gas chamber, some people have been overly aggressive with cleaning and have opened up the tolerances. If this is a used gun with no provenance, you may want to send it in to James to give it a once over. He will make sure that everything is good to go.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure...

Save the whales. Redeem them for valuable prizes...

Posts: 1556 | Location: Missing New England everyday | Registered: March 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
I had same problem with a used PSP when I first purchased it.

Resolved the problem with an Ultrasonic cleaning to clean the gas chamber and piston.
No further problems.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
By chance are you shooting reloads, professional or otherwise, or ammunition that has a reputation for being dirty (Remington green box for example)? I ask because years ago, while shooting with a friend who brought his duty P7M13, his pistol went down with commercial reloads. It was very dirty ammo. After cleaning it at the range and switching ammo, his gun was flawless. OTOH, my W. German P228 handled everything flawlessly. As I recall, he stayed with quality commercial ammo after that and never had any problems.

If you are not shooting dirty ammo, the gas cylinder could be dirty itself. You may want to carefully clean it.

If all else fails, as mentioned, send it to James. He is the accepted guru on a HK oriented forum I visit from time to time.

Posts: 12429 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like your P7 gas chamber is dirty.
Soak it and scrape it.

Posts: 1 | Registered: April 06, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got to admit, my 5 P7’s and M8’s have never malfunctioned. Ever. Nothing to add.

Posts: 7337 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
The only problem I've had with my P7 was the elbow spring--part # 29 in the parts diagram. The elbow spring was not in it's correct position.

https://www.hkpro.com/threads/...ways-cocking.187482/

Posts: 2293 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Basenji
posted Hide Post
When I owned a P7M8 and a P7N13, I shot 124 grain and never had a problem.

Posts: 919 | Location: Tidewater VIRGINIA | Registered: April 27, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post