SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sig Availability
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig Availability Login/Join 
posted
Not that I’m looking for anything at the moment, but would anyone venture a guess at when Sig will quit flooding the market with 365’s and 320’s and start shipping out some higher end pistols. Metal guns seemed to have taken a real backseat to the composite models. I just like the 220, 229, in SAO and feel like I would like to be able to handle a few at the LGS.

Posts: 271 | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I don't think they'll make much of anything that is not a Legion.

You can also have any caliber you want, as long as it is a 9mm.

Posts: 9167 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pfc1966:
Metal guns seemed to have taken a real backseat to the composite models.

The market demands polymer frame striker fire guns. On top of that, polymer guns are much easier and less expensive to manufacture and have higher profit margins. It's a win-win for gun manufacturers. They give the consumers what they want and make more money than they did before selling metal frame guns.

What is your LGS like? Do they sell a lot of upper end guns? The LGS I frequent most often gets in Legions and other metal Sigs regularly. It's also a shop that sells a lot of $1K+ handguns. For instance, they move a lot of Staccatos. I saw a Taran Tactical G34 Combat Master there a few weeks ago for $8K. It sold within two weeks.

My point is if your local shops don't feel confident they will sell a $1K+ metal hammer fire Sig, then how can you fault them for not ordering it in? I'll bet they'd order one if you committed to buying one. Otherwise, the shop is probably afraid of having an expensive piece of inventory that customers come in to fondle before they decide if they will order it online.

Posts: 3187 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished
posted Hide Post
My guess is they'll stop making the P220

Posts: 4079 | Location: NC | Registered: December 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Been seeing a lot of new higher end P226s as of late.
Legions and ZEV mainly. I just don’t get the ZEV but people must because they sell.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25437 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:

Everything he said. Especially about the shop itself.

We’ve got a couple shops around me that still regularly have the classic P series Sigs around. But 1k plus guns probably make up 50% of their inventory (on the shelf at least who knows what’s in back) and they have plenty of guns that are 3 and 4 times that.

Then there’s another store that deals mostly in lower end stuff, their shelves are stacked deep with various Turkish shotguns and plastic handguns. However they are a goldmine for used guns for some reason and attract some real gems.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15259 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
The market isn't demanding striker-fired, polymer guns only - otherwise this thread wouldn't exist. I keep seeing this mantra repeated over and over again... so I'll repeat over and over (backed up by dozens of threads on this forum from others on the subject) that Sig Marketing has its head up its ass.

That group decides the product lineup (greatly influencing corp finance no doubt) and are responsible for the myriad versions of the flavor of the week, pimped-out P320... while ignoring the demand for the P2XX series of pistols & potential innovation w/in its ranks.

Rant off.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
“Sig Availability” is good for me. I just open the drawer of my nightstand and there’s my SIG P226 X5 Comp. So simple.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8995 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
I don't think they'll make much of anything that is not a Legion.

You can also have any caliber you want, as long as it is a 9mm.

Yep, P226 SAO Legion in 357 sig is on my list.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It goes beyond market demand. Sig is trying to sell more striker fired guns because as mentioned they are cheaper. Manufacturers can absolutely create demand by pushing sales of models that they want to sell. Consumers often think they create demand but manufacturers have a big impact on that through advertising and what they produce. If Sig has a P365 available in every gun shop in America it will create demand because it’s available everywhere. Coke is the best selling soda in the US because people do want it but that’s also because Coke aggressively markets it and pushes to have Coke available in every restaurant, stadium, gas station, food truck, etc they possibly can.

Posts: 28 | Registered: February 04, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
One of the shops near me last year had an MK25 in the case for at least 6 months. I noticed it when they started dropping the price to a number below all the online dealers. After about 2 months I couldn’t take it anymore and bought it. The sales clerk was asking all kinds of questions as to why I was buying because they didn’t sell many classic Sigs. They haven’t had another MK25 and the only DA/SA Sigs in their cases are Legion variants. Even at my range I don’t see many people shooting DA/SA or revolvers and almost alway get people asking me about either of them when I’m shooting.

Following used prices there is a demand for older quality Sig firearms and the police trade ins around here seem to sell quickly. Local dealers don’t seem to want to tie up capital and sit on stock that doesn’t rotate fast. Hence, the plastic is fantastic striker fired guns that seem all the rage. I’m not sure who sig is marketing all these cut out slide with pimptastic gold accents, but it obviously isn’t the enthusiasts that built the brand. I’ll admit that I’m enjoying the 365 and 320 lines from Sig but I miss seeing the quality plain classics for sale.

Posts: 2968 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All comments make sense. I. Just guess I wasn’t a

Posts: 271 | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dakor:
The market isn't demanding striker-fired, polymer guns only

Who said only? You did. There's a market for black powder pistols & rifles too, but that's not what drives the market. The market is not driven by what 1% of consumers request. That's not to say that someone won't make what 1% of consumers are looking for, but it won't be their bread & butter sales.

I prefer cars w/ manual transmissions. If I look hard enough, I can find a stick-shift, but manual is not what drives the auto market. The demand for stick-shift is miniscule, at least in the US.

Suppose it costs Sig $500 to make a P226 that wholesales for $650 and retails for $850. A P320 or P365 may cost $175 to make, wholesale for $390 and retail for $500. If you're in business to make money, then the decision on where to divert your resources & marketing is easy.

Posts: 3187 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sometimes we get the manufacturing companies and this type of community confused.
SIG enthusiasts are not in it for profit but the enjoyment and comradery that comes with it.
At some point in history they may have coincided but, in my opinion, sadly; loyalty and business no longer go hand in hand under most circumstances these days.

Too many SIGs .. ... Nah not really

Posts: 363 | Location: AL | Registered: August 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well if shipments from SIG were based on our local market demand we'd be receiving PLENTY of the base sub $1K classic P-SIGs instead of the Legions and other more expensive variants that we're more or less only getting. In 2020 we did see a few P226s and P229s (though no P220s) that weren't Legions, but nada last year and so far it's been the same for the first part of this year. We've ordered them but it always seems like those get canceled or pushed to some backburner someplace in SIG's production hierarchy. Meanwhile every other day I get asked about the availability of classic Nitron P-SIGs, particularly in the guise of the P229.

The same is true of the P238 and P938. Aside from the somewhat rare Legion variants SIG has pretty much conceded that market niche to Kimber. We sell every Micro380 can we get our hands on within a week and most Micro9s will go within three weeks, despite all of the higher capacity competition from the polymer micro compacts on the market.

There are still plenty of gun buyers pining for metal. Our Beretta 92 sales for the past year and a half are higher than they've ever been even without impetus from the current panic of pending 10rd magazine limits. The demand we see for 75-based CZs has never softened, unlike the demand for the P-10 series of polymer guns. Our 1911 sales are still very strong as well, as is our revolver demand.

The only metal handgun suppliers that have been problematic is SIG and the non-Legion/$$$$ classic P-series and Px38 models, and Ruger and their inability to make anything close to normal numbers of anything and everything, but in particular revolvers that don't wear the Wrangler badge or those weird-sounding dry-fired (BOING!) LCP Maxes. Even S&W despite their move to Tennessee manages to ship us revolvers every once and a while.

-MG

Posts: 2006 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LGS just got in some Legions .
220, 226, and 229 . So they must still be making all metal classics.

Posts: 705 | Location: S.W.Florida | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
A lot of people aren’t buying Classic SIGs because they are so freaking expensive.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10495 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And they are putting out more Leigon's than plain Jane's and flooding the market with polymers that sell better because of cost.
I recently bought a 226 Legion for about $200 over the harder to find Nitron and I have no issues other than I would prefer black.
The grips, SRT, extra mag and free single gun soft case (and coin) upon registration sort of evens it up. (although I sure wouldn't pay $60 for the case.) It is a sweet shooter and have no regrets. You get what you pay for and can't compare it to a polymer striker fired one, IMHO
quote:
Originally posted by 2Adefender:
A lot of people aren’t buying Classic SIGs because they are so freaking expensive.

“Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.”

John Adams

Posts: 317 | Location: Land of 10000 Taxes | Registered: March 19, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post