SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    How close have you gotten to a "do all" handgun?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How close have you gotten to a "do all" handgun? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
10 years ago I would have said my 686, as I’ve gotten older about the only thing I care to carry anymore is my 365 or 43/43x. About as close as I get to carrying a full-size gun anymore is G48. As I’ve gotten closer to 60 and and body beat up and arthritis everywhere from 40 years of piling work, I’ve found my needs have changed. I still have a G19 in a Bugout bag only because I have so many Glock compact and full-size mags

Posts: 455 | Location: Marblehead ohio | Registered: January 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
the question is how close have I gotten to a do it all handgun. I can easily see why the Glock 19 gets the most mentions but I don't have one so it can't be my answer to the OP's question. So for me given what I actually own its my M&P 2.0 compact 4 inch barrel. HD, carry, range all work very well. Not necessarily the best for each purpose, and not all the time, but its my most versatile. HD, I prefer my 226. Pocket carry, nope. Basketball shorts and a t shirt, nope. Bear country nope - unless i use it on myself.

But there is no one do it all handgun. Fortunately there does not have to be one.

Posts: 550 | Location: S Fla / Western NC High Country | Registered: May 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
An old thread, but still interesting.

If I narrowed it down to one gun, it would be a 4" barreled stainless steel .357 Magnum revolver. My GP100 is the most versatile handgun I own. It's as close to a do-all gun as I can imagine.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome to what nearly turned in to the ‘Gooey For a Glock’ thread here on SIGforum.

P239 in .357Sig followed closely by a P229 in .357Sig followed closely by a Ruger GP100.

God Bless You and Your House,

Mark
www.bikersforchrist.org

Posts: 232 | Registered: November 10, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
Depending on what you’re referring to as “Do-All” I’d say my Glock 43X with the Shield Mags, or my S&W K Comp.

Posts: 1965 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good, bad, I'm the
guy with the gun
Picture of 45ProCarry
posted Hide Post
If I could only have one pistol for everything, it would be my HK USP45.

Posts: 2343 | Location: USA | Registered: May 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
P365XL. 12 rounds of 9mm in a package just barely bigger than an S&W Shield. The slight extra barrel length and grip length make zero difference for how it carries appendix, but make all the world of difference versus the OG P365 in terms of shootability.

For HD or just all around target shooting, I prefer a flavor of P320, but the XL just carries so much better and doesn't cost me what a PPS or Shield does in terms of handling or round count.

For woods carry, yes, I would need something significantly larger, but I'm not going to fool myself into believing I'm some kind of rugged outdoorsman on the regular.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5542 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I first responded to these “If you had only one handgun” questions many years ago, and my answer then as it would be today is my Smith and Wesson model 66 revolver chambered for 357 S&W Magnum. It assumes, of course, that we want something suitable for all the roles a handgun could fill, and not just one such as concealed self-defense carry or hunting large game.

Concealed carry and other defensive roles or hunting are some reasons we might want a handgun, but there’s also informal practice, and competitions of various sorts, to name the most common. Given the size and configuration of the gun and its capability of handling a variety of cartridges and loads, the model 66 could serve any of those roles at least satisfactorily.

On the other hand, if a handgun can fill all its possible roles to an acceptable degree, it’s highly unlikely it would fill any particular role as well as a handgun chosen for that specific purpose. If, however, I could have only one and thought I might use it for all the possible roles, this would be it.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Out of all the guns I have tried, I can't get over the usefullness of the P365. Boring reliability and accuracy.

Posts: 276 | Location: Pa | Registered: September 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For years it was a commander. Now a CZ pcr. Next is an HK P2000.

Posts: 1607 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
On the other hand, if a handgun can fill all its possible roles to an acceptable degree, it’s highly unlikely it would fill any particular role as well as a handgun chosen for that specific purpose.

Its like the definition of a singing waiter. Someone who does not do either one very well.

Posts: 550 | Location: S Fla / Western NC High Country | Registered: May 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
Haven't found the one do all handgun just yet, but perhaps that's part of the fun. Smile

Seriously, I'm waiting for the (no rail) Dan Wesson DWX Compact to come out as it has everything I'm looking for based on initial appearances.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
P229 with a 3567 sig barrel, 49SW barrel and a 9mm conversion barrel.

3 calibers in one compact do many things.

Can do the same with my 40SW Glocks.

The Seattle SharpShooter

Posts: 99 | Location: Seattle Washington USA | Registered: December 09, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I don't deserve
this CUT
posted Hide Post
quote:
P229 with a 3567 sig barrel, 49SW barrel and a 9mm conversion barrel.

Mine here as well, the only drawback being just how damn heavy my P229 is.

"If somebody says there ought to be a law there probably ought not." - Penn Jillette

Posts: 5246 | Location: Clearwater, FL | Registered: January 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FBHO
posted Hide Post
My Glock 32 goes with me when everything else has to stay behind. Light, accurate, powerful, weapon light capable, can replace almost any broken part with spares, thousands of rounds with never a burp. And it can hold lots of boolits if need be.

Posts: 1046 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: September 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post