SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    How close have you gotten to a "do all" handgun?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How close have you gotten to a "do all" handgun? Login/Join 
Picture of SVTNate
posted Hide Post
G19 is the perfect pistol. I prefer my million-dollar wazoo custom G17 with a magwell for shooting, I much prefer my P210 or X5 or 1911's or Mk. 23 for plinking, my CZ Tac/Sport is a better race gun, and my two PPS'es are easier to conceal. My G34 with an X300 is a better nightstand gun.

But the G19 does everything well, and at that it's better than anything.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
Guns, cars, Cuban cigars

Posts: 2570 | Location: Orange County, CA | Registered: September 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
G19

Posts: 5595 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Maybe I misread the question, or at the very least misinterpreted it.

A "do all" handgun to me is one that I can do the most things with. Carry concealed, shoot at a high level, compete with, etc. And that to me is the 2022. The 2022 carries a bit better than the 226 concealed (though the difference is minor).

I shoot the 226 just a bit better. If I had to choose one pistol for the rest of my life, it would be the 226. I can outperform the capabilities of the 2022, at least at this point in time, with a 226. Especially faster follow shots at distance.

Just a thought.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
My do all is a Glock 21 RTF2 SF with a G20 upper.
With conversion barrels, covers...

.45 ACP, 10mm, .40 S&W, .357 Sig

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7179 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Billy346
posted Hide Post
I might go with my Colt Delta Elite. With 10mm, I can use FMJ or hard cast lead for hunting or woods protection, or switch to a JHP for carry. It's slim enough to carry IWB, and it holds 8+1 with a flush-fitting mag. No, it's not as high capacity as a G19, but it's got the right combination of size, power, and ammo choice to be employed for multiple duties.

"Like a horse has its rider, and the sky has its moon, a man has his loneliness, mistaken as pride." -Longmire

Posts: 539 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: January 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
Glock 19, it does a lot of things "pretty" good.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1898 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would say a g26 or a 30s if you prefer 45acp. The 30s is a great 10 rd 45acp that has similar dimensions to the 19. The 26 is a go to gun that ends up in my holster a lot during summer. If I could have only one pistol, the g26 probably would be it.

Posts: 713 | Location: FL | Registered: July 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
For me it's my Glock 27. When I travel and can only take 1 pistol, the 27 is my go to gun.
It carries very well in IWB, OWB, and an ankle holster, so no matter the weather or dress code it disappears in the right holster.
The .40 cal punch is adequate for either 2 or 4 legged critters, so if I'm fishing I'm protected.

My Glock 30S and also the 36FGR are second choices depending on the situation. I can't ankle carry those so it depends on the trip circumstances. That 36 FGR is a laser beam and carries nice and flat in an IWB.

Posts: 3548 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Soaring Hawk
posted Hide Post
S&W 642 performance center model without ils For me, it is perfect for concealed carry and also readily available for home defense; ultra-reliable.

Posts: 1180 | Registered: March 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you took all of the responses in this thread and represented them with scaled silhouettes of the guns mentioned, you would find by and large that a gun with roughly a four inch barrel and roughly 13-15 round capacity (if double stack 9mm) is it. The term "Glock 19 sized" is key. Something big enough to feel good fighting with and small enough to conceal is as "do all" as it gets. Whether that's a compact Glock, P2000, P10C, 75 Compact, 228, Sig Pro, 320C, etc, etc, etc, these guns all have comparable slide and grip lengths.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I'd have to give a nod to my Gen4 Glock 21.

Sure, it was a 45 when I bought it, 10mm is where it is at its best, but mostly it stays a .38 Super.

Posts: 9153 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
P320 Compact with size large grip module. Grip narrowed to P239 thickness with a belt sander. DIY stippling or glue on Talon grips.
The P226 feels fantastic in the hand, but I love the modularity and cleanability of the P320.

-c1steve

Posts: 4053 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
I believe a 3" SP-101 .327 Fed would fill the bill.

Light handloaded .32 S&W pass for .22 rimfire as far as I'm concerned. The .32 H&R mags for practice and range time. The Feds for carry. Rimfire through 9mm power levels mix or match in the same gun.

I have one in 4.2" barrel a bit too much in summer.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5151 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
KF date code P226 with the following conversion barrels; 9X21 and .30 Luger

Posts: 828 | Location: CA | Registered: January 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a fairly large number of handguns, as well as rifles, shotguns, etc. I have not found any handgun that does it all.

I continue to buy handguns in the quest of such a firearm, but it does not exist.

There are a number that fit this use or that use, but even a defensive concealment firearm depends on the occasion and the clothing and location and purpose.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the legendary Glock 19.
In a SIG I'd have to go with the P228.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
A 92. A high capacity, reliable, tall, sexy Italian woman. What's not to like ?

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8683 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
S&W Mod 19...or 686 - Or a 629. Compliant in most restictive commie states also...
To me, "do all" means hunting too.

It will never have the capacity or reload speed of a 'wonder X high cap' but the ability to shoot "for real" magnum loads is a plus in my book.
I don't shoot a bunch of 'for real' magnum loads which is why I wouldn't own an ugly, heavy Ruger.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Money won is sweeter
than money earned
Picture of Rick_Perry
posted Hide Post
Wilson Combat EDC X9

Einstein defines insanity as "Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results"

Posts: 3086 | Location: SE MI | Registered: October 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I could only have one …..

Browning Hi Power

One of the most ergonomic pistols every. Sufficient ammo load for home defense and concealed carry. Slim enough and light enough for all day concealed carry. Accurate enough for target and range use. Enough of them out there that parts, magazines, etc. are easily found. Ammo is plentiful and reasonably priced.

Posts: 117 | Location: Schererville, IN | Registered: March 09, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post