SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    226 Holster Options
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

226 Holster Options Login/Join 
posted
Just looking for recommendations for a holster and mag pouch for the 226 for range use. I need one for a class I'm going to be taking in a few months. I don't mind spending a little bit more money if it's worth it. Thanks for the input.

Posts: 333 | Registered: January 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It helps to be a bit more specific on material etc., but if kydex is OK I use and recommend Blade-tech. Have many of them and have been very satisfied. But there are quite a number of excellent choices these days.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10990 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't really have a preference on material. I don't know if this is an issue, but, hopefully something that won't wear the finish on the firearm.

posted Hide Post
Ditto on the Blade-Tech. Used their holsters and mag holders for several classes, and for general range use, they worked fine for me.

Posts: 312 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you really worried about finish you might be happier with a leather one. Sig stocks the Mitch Rosen ones which are decent for the price. I don't use leather very often so I'm not a good source of the 'best' players in that market. I have used 'simply rugged' holsters with excellent results personally and they have a great reputation overall but you will likely have a wait for them.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10990 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
List your priorities first. Holsters that are fast and accessible may not be as good in a CC role. Since the original need is for a class, some have requirements or recommendations. Make sure you choose one which is approved or on their list.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2003 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have five Blade-Teck OWB holsters strictly for range use. Adjustable belt loop size, adjustable cant and front cutout.

My OWB carry holsters are all leather Milt Sparks #55BN's. The #55BN Sparks carries my P226 very well...comfortable, concealable,secure and fast.

For years, I always used my leather carry holsters for all range practice. However, at age 76, I find the plastic easier on the shoulder and wrist during range sessions. Not as much vertical travel required and the kydex is very slick with no resistance.

After 50 years of draw/fire practice (leather), it's not important that I practice with the carry leather all the time. I will occasionally use the leather at the range though.

https://blade-tech.com/product...b?rq=mk_sig~md_p226r

https://www.miltsparks.com/products-55-bn.php

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished
posted Hide Post
There is no holster that won't cause wear, at least in my experience. I would not recommend a leather holster for a class.

The Blade-Tech is a good option. For something a little less expensive and every bit as good if not better look at Red Hill Tactical. I own kydex holsters from half a dozen makers and their double layer kydex holster is very, very good. I have one for a Glock and if I didn't already have old Blade-Techs for both of my P226s I would buy Red Hill holsters for them.

Posts: 4077 | Location: NC | Registered: December 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cyberiad:
There is no holster that won't cause wear, at least in my experience. I would not recommend a leather holster for a class...

Yep. Leather or Kydex. With a quality holster of either type, you probably get s little less than a cheapie.

Even cops, who rarely engage in extensive draw/fire drills, have holster wear just from carrying. Nothing wrong with a little wear. I like to call it "patina"...sounds better than "wear". Smile

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. The holster would be mainly for range use not concealed carry. I do understand any holster is going to have some wear.

Cyberiad- I will have to check out the Red Hill Tactical holsters. Why do you like them over the Blade-Techs

Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong with the Blade-Tech, I just like the Red Hill double layer better. It's "firmer" and the fit of the Red Hill (in terms of the way it's made and how the gun fits in it) is better. Plus, Red Hill is a small business (and may be just one guy) and I like to support them.

Posts: 4077 | Location: NC | Registered: December 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also recommend the Blade-Tech. Order it with the drop style belt loop, makes it easier and faster to draw.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
I’m a big fan of the Safariland 6378 holsters. I have used them extensively in classes. Whenever I get a new gun I plan on using for holster work at the range, I pick up one of these.

It’s described as a concealment holster but that is not accurate. Great holster for the range though. It has a retention thumb release rather than using your trigger finger on a button and is a very natural motion. The material is kydex lined with leather. It’s about $40 on Amazon.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2385 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Safariland 6378

My choice, as well.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5478 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post