SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What other factors besides the trigger could cause trigger sting ? Glock 22
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What other factors besides the trigger could cause trigger sting ? Glock 22 Login/Join 
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
When you replaced the triggers, did you replace the springs also?

Everything I’m seeing from my searching is that trigger mods cause it this. I’ve owned a number of Glocks in both 9mm and .40 and never experienced this. Snappy recoil in a .40, yes, but never trigger slap.

Are you entirely sure the trigger that it came with was factory and unmolested? The recommendations I’m seeing, and agree with, is put factory everything back in there and see where you end up. Like as not, it’ll solve your problem.

Stolen from another forum:
quote:
A few things can cause trigger slap on a Glock that I know of off the top of my head, and all are caused by the addition of aftermarket parts.

The connector may not be properly cut to limit rearward trigger travel to a full stop by preventing just enough rear travel for the trigger bar to come down a bit, and this allows the slide to hit the trigger bar on it's return.

Aftermarket trigger bars could have a high spot on the depressor tab, causing it to jump forward as the slide returns to battery.

Then the blade safety may not be small enough to fit flush with the trigger face and can cause you to be more sensitive here under recoil, as can coming off the trigger too soon. Not exactly trigger slap, but a common problem again with some aftermarket parts.

Thank you for a constructive post.

The pistol/ was G22 Gen 4 LEO trade in. It was in excellent condition when I purchased it, I did not see any form of modification done to it.

When I first shot it, stock form, stock trigger in 40 cal, the trigger sting was sharp. After advice in Sig Forum, I replaced the stock trigger with a Johnny Glock trigger, using the 40 cal barrel, still getting trigger sting, albeit not quite as severe.

Last, I purchased an aftermarket 357 Sig and 9mm barrel and shot both with the Johnny Glock trigger..still trigger sting.

That's when I purchased and installed the flat Vickers Tactical trigger and test fired it with the 9mm barrel

Trigger sting is still there, but the least amount of any previous combination. I like this is pistol, and have sunk some money into it after the initial purchase, Mags, refinish/Ion Bond, and holsters.

It's been very reliable and accurate and my only Glock.
I would just simply like to fix this annoyance.

I think I will replace the trigger bar as my next step.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Hmmm, if it was an LEO trade-in, I would think it unlikely to be modified. But if the trigger springs were changed out, it would be just about impossible to tell. I don't think a trigger return spring would be stiff enough to cause slap, but you could fill an ocean with what I don't know. I'd think swapping out the springs that are in it for new OEM trigger springs could possibly solve your problem.

When you shoot it, are you holding the trigger back after the shots breaks, and riding the reset after the pistol comes out of recoil? Or are you slapping the trigger and it's slapping you back?

Posts: 17099 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hmmm, if it was an LEO trade-in, I would think it unlikely to be modified. But if the trigger springs were changed out, it would be just about impossible to tell. I don't think a trigger return spring would be stiff enough to cause slap, but you could fill an ocean with what I don't know. I'd think swapping out the springs that are in it for new OEM trigger springs could possibly solve your problem.

When you shoot it, are you holding the trigger back after the shots breaks, and riding the reset after the pistol comes out of recoil? Or are you slapping the trigger and it's slapping you back?

Hard to explain.

Sting happens when trigger breaks and pistol fires.
No +P ammo used.
Glock parts are cheap, maybe I should do an overhaul of springs, trigger bar, connector.

I tried polishing the safety tab in the stock trigger, thinking it was the sharp edge causing the sting.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Do you happen to know how to check the striker and cruciform engagement through the back plate?

Posts: 7420 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
Hard to explain.

Yeah, I'm trying to figure out where in the cycle that it's happening. What I'm asking is, do you hold the trigger back until well after the pistol comes out of recoil and then let the trigger out to the reset point to fire again? Or are you doing what's called slapping the trigger and raising your finger off the trigger when it fires?

quote:
Glock parts are cheap, maybe I should do an overhaul of springs, trigger bar, connector.

Yeah, it's worth a try. All new OEM stuff, no polishing, just installed correctly and see how you come out.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Hard to explain.

Yeah, I'm trying to figure out where in the cycle that it's happening. What I'm asking is, do you hold the trigger back until well after the pistol comes out of recoil and then let the trigger out to the reset point to fire again? Or are you doing what's called slapping the trigger and raising your finger off the trigger when it fires?

quote:

Yeah, it's worth a try. All new OEM stuff, no polishing, just installed correctly and see how you come out.

This :

"What I'm asking is, do you hold the trigger back until well after the pistol comes out of recoil and then let the trigger out to the reset point to fire again."

美しい犬

Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Some folks feel that sting on the middle finger. Where it meets the trigger guard against the grip. Usually in 40.

Posts: 13804 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
Some folks feel that sting on the middle finger. Where it meets the trigger guard against the grip. Usually in 40.

I have a Ruger LC9s Pro. When I first got and shot it, trigger sting was terrible. I ordered and installed a Galloway Precision trigger for it, trigger pull was much better, shorter, and made the Ruger my most accurate to shoot pistol.

美しい犬

posted Hide Post
I have never heard of the term trigger sting before reading it on here, and I never could come up with a term to use so people would understand what I am talking about.

I thought it was just me when I shot my Glock 22 and 23. I have spoken to numerous people over the years everyone looks at me like I am cuckoo.

It was about about two years ago or so, that I was reading one of my Police and Weapons or Weapons for LE when the writer described the same problem when he was shooting the 22 + 23.

I am not a Glock fan to begin with, but when I have to shoot numerous rounds for qualification or a training course, that stupid bite, sting, pain is irritating.

I don't remember getting that sting in a Glock chambered for .357sig. I know it is not there when I shot the 21.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a Glock 23 in 40SW and got trigger sting. Filed down the center "safety trigger". No help. Sold the 23 and bought a M&P also in 40SW. No trigger sting.
Some time later I realized I prefer hammer fired, SA/DA action over all else. Now have P229 and P239. Very happy
tj

Posts: 1 | Registered: January 07, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tjmga:
I had a Glock 23 in 40SW and got trigger sting. Filed down the center "safety trigger". No help. Sold the 23 and bought a M&P also in 40SW. No trigger sting.
Some time later I realized I prefer hammer fired, SA/DA action over all else. Now have P229 and P239. Very happy
tj

Welcome to Sig Forum.

This is the first Glock I've ever experienced trigger sting with.

美しい犬

Picture of Austin228
posted Hide Post
Hi, I carried for like 15 years a Glock 32 (from about 2003 - Late 2017) and still own it (Glock 19/23 size pistol in .357SIG) and also quickly picked up a Glock 23 .40 S&W barrel and used both extensively.

I had the NY trigger installed later(I think its 3.5 lbs I can't remember)....

Anyways, I have shot thousands of rounds through that of both .40 and .357SIG without ever having a trigger sting with the original trigger and the lower lb trigger, mine is a Gen 3 I think I got it around 2003.

I actually had it switched back to regular trigger - as it had to be sent to Glock after a locking block failure a long time ago.

I had the NY trigger back in shortly but I've fired the gun with both trigger pull's extensively.

I have seen at a CHL qualifier new people with handed out Glock's get some slide bite from improper grip and complain about the trigger.

Maybe it could be how you're squeezing/"pulling" the trigger, I don't really know?

P.S. I also prefer SIG DA/SA have a bunch of them my favorite regular SIG trigger is perhaps surprisingly on my German-frame SIG Pro 2022 (9mm)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Austin228,

Posts: 1470 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: March 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Misanthropic Philanthrope
Picture of MWC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Could something else be causing trigger sting ?

Big Grin

Ditto! Girlie-man hands! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 6772 | Registered: June 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This has been an interesting topic..... I'm a far cry from an expert but I have worked on friend's Glocks that complained of pain in the trigger finger when pulling the trigger. I don't know if it's the same issue as yours's.
In those situations , it appears to me that the trigger safety "blade" is just a little more "proud" than other Glocks. In these cases , I have trimmed just a very small amount off the "blade" safety...just enough so that it is just barely stands out from being flush with the trigger shoe WHEN it's being pulled ( compressed). I also remove any sharp edges of the blade. I'm only removing very ,very little material.
Using an Exacto knife with a fresh blade (#11). Removing only miniscule amount.....under magnification.
Best wishes ! mike

Posts: 1272 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mike28w:
This has been an interesting topic..... I'm a far cry from an expert but I have worked on friend's Glocks that complained of pain in the trigger finger when pulling the trigger. I don't know if it's the same issue as yours's.
In those situations , it appears to me that the trigger safety "blade" is just a little more "proud" than other Glocks. In these cases , I have trimmed just a very small amount off the "blade" safety...just enough so that it is just barely stands out from being flush with the trigger shoe WHEN it's being pulled ( compressed). I also remove any sharp edges of the blade. I'm only removing very ,very little material.
Using an Exacto knife with a fresh blade (#11). Removing only miniscule amount.....under magnification.
Best wishes ! mike

That's not his case, as he has a Johnny Glocks shoe and Vickers, which the safety tabs are both flush to the face.

Posts: 7420 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nismo:

That's not his case, as he has a Johnny Glocks shoe and Vickers, which the safety tabs are both flush to the face.

Sorry...I missed that part.... Smile

Posts: 1272 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Has the O.P. found any way to fix this issue ?? If so, how ??

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Sunset_Va, did you end up trying some new OEM parts in your Glock?

Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I don't shoot Glocks much so I have no experience with the problem described. I have, however, heard other students complain of it in high-round instructor courses. I heard it described as the metal parts "bottoming out" and transmitting the impulse to the trigger during detonation of the cartridge. I have not experienced anything like this in any of my P-series SIG pistols.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post