SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    M18 "Overrun" pistols
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

M18 "Overrun" pistols Login/Join 
posted
I haven't seen these mentioned here, but SIG recently released some M18 pistols packaged in cardboard boxes similar to those the surplus M17s and commemorative M17 and M18 pistols shipped in. They appear identical to currently issued military pistols, down to the "TC" serial numbers. SIG customer service describes them as "overruns". I just received this one a couple of days ago. It will be interesting to see how many of these are released.

Posts: 152 | Registered: December 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyEngineer:
SIG customer service describes them as "overruns".
Yeah, they played the same game with the NSW P226. After SIG saw that they should have produced more than 2000 of those trident-marked pistols, they put the trident on some more P226s and called them "contract overruns".

I don't believe that for one single second. All this is, is marketing. Call it an M18 and shooters will say "ah". Call it a "contract overrun M18" and people will fall all over themselves to pay top dollar for it.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107222 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
If it's an overrun it should be sold at a discount.

Posts: 3365 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a nice purchase.
Although I need another 9mm P320 like another hole in the head, and there’s that … magazine capacity restriction thing here, I have always been attracted to that model.

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47356 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
Very nice score! I hadn't heard about these so thanks for the heads-up and photos!

Do you plan on shooting it or will this stay a collectors piece?

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am happy to have it. I collect military type firearms and will not live long enough to see USGI M18s surplused, IF that ever happens. For now, these are the closest to USGI that SIG has released, and it will fit in well with my milsurps and my commercial M9 clones, as well as my NSW P226. SIG does have a history of offering "limited" editions followed by mass releases of similar pistols. For now, the prices are skyrocketing (going on the auction board for more than USGI-surplus M17s). I don't plan to shoot it in the near term, but would like to see this model released widely - then the prices would drop, and I wouldn't feel bad about shooting it Smile

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
^^^ No M11B? Wink

Btw, since I really don't follow the P320s, what is the significance of the "TC" serial number?

Q

Posts: 26179 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
^^^ No M11B? Wink

Btw, since I really don't follow the P320s, what is the significance of the "TC" serial number?

I didn't want to show off, Q! All of the USGI M17s have serial numbers starting with the letters "TF", and the USGI M18s have serial numbers beginning with the letters "TC". I've been told that the "F" is for full size, "C" is for compact, and "T" is for SIG, for some odd reason! The lowest documented Army surplus M17 serial number was TF000010, and the highest serial number was TF005901. I think 5,000 M17 and M18 commemorative pistols were released, with serial numbers starting at M17-0001, and M18-0001. As far as I know, SIG has never before released any M18 variants using the USGI serial number prefix. I'm a fan of the surplus M17s, since a FOIA request reveals where they were sent. I corresponded with the soldier who deployed to Iraq for a year with one of mine. I don't have any idea where my other military surplus firearms were sent. Of course, these M18 pistols never went to the military, but are still an interesting variant in my opinion.

posted Hide Post
I agree that the "contract overrun" is marketing. If these sell as well as they hope, they'll produce more.

Posts: 932 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Do they make it in black?

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34068 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elberettas
posted Hide Post
Very nice! My nephew just bought a SIG M18 as his first pistol, being a Marine and all. BTW, it seems that one flush fit magazine and two extended magazines has become the new military standard.

Posts: 1955 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
Do they make it in black?

I think they did make black M17s and M18's but they wouldn't be part of the "overrun".

Posts: 3365 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Does anyone in the military actually field a black P320? Or, are the black "M17" and "M18" just more of SIG's gimmicks?

Q

Posts: 26179 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
I think it was a distributer exclusive.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paten:

So, just gimmicks. They are black whatever, but they ain't black M17/M18.

Q

probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
You could look at it that way. But it is just like an M17 or M18 down to the markings and loaded chamber indicator except for the color.

Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I don't care if it's military or not, I just like the manual safety on it.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34068 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No I’m the army fields a black M17/18

Posts: 1740 | Registered: December 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paten:

Pretty sure the black M17 was a TALO exclusive. I vaguely remember getting emails for those from one of the distributors that works with TALO.

-MG

Posts: 1920 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by monoblok:
Pretty sure the black M17 was a TALO exclusive.

Like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7YAPh9LnAU

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47356 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post