SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    If there wasn't already enough reasons to own Sig here's one more
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If there wasn't already enough reasons to own Sig here's one more Login/Join 
posted
I haven't been able to execute this on any other pistol. Give it a whirl it's harder than it looks LoL.

https://youtu.be/d8uUL0jpvbM

Posts: 9 | Registered: August 06, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Somehow I get the impression that he used an extended mag so he could slam it into the well really hard. I'm not sure that's necesarilly healthy for the pistol, but to each their own maintenance schedule.

If you'd like to see it done on another pistol, give the Steyr M a try. It's a bit of a luck of the draw thing, but several people have reported having that happen on another website.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
OP, you know that this is nothing new and happens on a lot of different manufacturer's pistols, right?

I can get it to do it with my Beretta, Glock, SIG, HKs. I think it's even a feature of my CZ.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8021 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Yeah. It's called auto-forward, and you can do with it all kinds of pistols. Some love to do it all on their own, and some can be coaxed into doing it by applying a kind of forward and upward momentum with your offhand palm as you seat the mag. Once you have a feel for it, it's very easy to do.

Welcome to Sigforum. There's a lot to learn here. Smile

Posts: 17134 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did it appear as though the pistol was abused in any way? If it can't handle that then you've got a Chinese knock off. Also it can be done without a magazine at all it just really hurts the palm. I'd like to see it done with any other make Glock especially.... I don't think it's a feature of the Sig, I've emailed asking but no reply.

posted Hide Post
Okay....makes sense sometimes I can do it like butter with very little force, other times 0/50 no matter how much force.... I was always wondering about some kind of insertion techniques.

The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
OP you must be very new to guns. Anyone who has been around pistols and owns a lot of them know some guns will do this and others won’t. I personally hate it as it throws my mag changes off. In my mind it’s a failure, not a feature.

My 365 thankfully doesn’t do this, but my 365xl unfortunately does it. I have several glocks that do it. The only gun I’ve owned that won’t do it (brands that I’ve owned and shot numerous examples of the brand) is the M&P 2.0. S&W specifically designed their slide release so this wouldn’t happen.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
In almost 30 years of owning and shooting S&W, SIG, Glock and CZ pistols, I have had some of them do this, some not. (I don't remember which, but my current CZs and P320 do not.) Although, of the ones that did, they always chambered the round, I prefer they not. It's a control thing. Razz The slide does not seem to run forward as fast as when I use the slide stop or pull the slide back and release it to fly. So "auto-forwarding" is not something I wish to depend on.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not my style, but each to his own.

Posts: 17145 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
It’s dependent upon the angle and degree of force used to seat the magazine. There usually must be some force component at an angle that drives the frame or grip module forward while inertia keeps the slide stationary.

When it first started happening to me years ago as I began practicing fast reloads it was disconcerting because I didn’t expect it, and I usually dumped a live round on the ground because I automatically cycled the slide even though it had already been released. In recent years I’ve become better at reacting appropriately.

I know a number of Glock shooters who expect it to happen and when it doesn’t they hesitate and delay releasing the slide manually.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
It's a feature on several different makes of pistols in my accumulation with certain magazines.

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Like SIGfreud said, I have found it dependent on the angle of insertion far more then anything else and most of my pistol will do it when I load at around a 20ish degree angle, which I usually do. I don’t do it for the auto forward it’s just how I naturally load.

Also, as had been said above, DO NOT look at it as a “feature” as it’s not a 100% going to happen. Always do what you do to release the slide anyway (slide stop / release, slingshot whatever).

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Noisypop:
I'd like to see it done with any other make Glock especially....

It has happened to me quite a few times in my gen 3 Glock 17. Usually occurs when I'm in a hurry to reload, and I slap the magazine in with more than normal force. Like in a match, or during training while on the clock.

It is by no meas a "feature". People who have shot a lot of pistols know this.

Posts: 7874 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
quote:
Originally posted by Noisypop:
I'd like to see it done with any other make Glock especially....

It has happened to me quite a few times in my gen 3 Glock 17. Usually occurs when I'm in a hurry to reload, and I slap the magazine in with more than normal force. Like in a match, or during training while on the clock.

It is by no meas a "feature". People who have shot a lot of pistols know this.

Yep, to all of the above.

Well worn Glocks tend to exhibit it the most, in my experience.

And it's definitely not desirable. If the autoforward happened 100% of the time, it's something that could be incorporated into your reload procedure practice and might be seen as a positive thing. But as it is, it's not desirable, since it's not consistent and when it does occur it throws off your "normal" reload procedure.

Posts: 32512 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
No, it's not a feature. It's incidental and in my opinion, detrimental to safe handling. I wouldn't want to routinely handle a loaded pistol which behaves this way.

Posts: 107607 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With a little monkeying around with a dremel tool, maybe a true master could rig it to fire at the same time.

Posts: 471 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
As far as other makes. I can make it happen on pretty much anything although double stacks seem more likely to do this.

I have done it with ....
SIGs
HKS
Glocks
Walthers
Etc.

Again, at least in my experience, it is all about the angle of the gun during magazine insertion. I don’t, nor should you, rely on it but it’s fairly easy to make happen especially with guns with a few rounds through them.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
I guess the fellow in the video thought he had discovered something new, and needed to get it out on YouTube soon as possible? It's just that when the magazine is inserted forcefully, the pistol is jolted upwards, while the slide stop wants to maintain it's position in space. Newton's 1st. law stuff. Some on the internet apparently think when it happens it's either a cool design feature or a design or individual pistol defect. Guy must be new at this....

NRA Life

Posts: 1565 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Springfield XDM will do this.

Posts: 3923 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Definitely not a new thing. But of all of the pistols that I've owned, only my P30 does this. It does it regularly without having to try particularly hard at all, kinda like the SIG in the video. I've heard many say that they have Glocks, HKs and SIGs that can drop the slide on a hard mag load but beyond my P30 I've not been able to get any of the rest of mine to replicate this phenomenon. But then again I'm also not going to slam the gun and/or mag as if I'm trying my damndest to break either of them.

-MG

Posts: 1993 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post