SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    If there wasn't already enough reasons to own Sig here's one more
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If there wasn't already enough reasons to own Sig here's one more Login/Join 
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by monoblok:
Definitely not a new thing. But of all of the pistols that I've owned, only my P30 does this. It does it regularly without having to try particularly hard at all, kinda like the SIG in the video. I've heard many say that they have Glocks, HKs and SIGs that can drop the slide on a hard mag load but beyond my P30 I've not been able to get any of the rest of mine to replicate this phenomenon. But then again I'm also not going to slam the gun and/or mag as if I'm trying my damndest to break either of them.

HA! What’s funny and should be evidence as to not use this as a FEATURE is my P30 9mm is one of the MORE RESISTANT guns I own to this effect.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
The M&P 2.0 added a detent to the slide stop so it WOULDN’T auto forward. My 1.0 will if I slam in a fully loaded mag, but it’s not consistent enough that I’d rely on it. Plus, I read that it can cause malfunctions, like if you flub a mag change and get the mag torqued a bit, the slide will forward before the mag is fully seated and you are left with an empty chamber. This happened to me in a match.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3211 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've never had a pistol, Glock, Sig, S&W 39-2, 59 series or third generation that did this.

If I did, I'd be awantin' that there thang fixed and right now.

I sorta recall, but it's not too clear in my old and foggy memories, a GI 45 back in Vietnam that did this. I can't remember if I turned it back in for another or got the armorer to fix it.

And, as I sit here, it might have been a Browning HP I got after I came home.

But, whichever it was, I know I didn't like it and considered it "broke" and unsafe till fixed or exchanged.

Anyhow, take that pistol and get it checked and fixed.

Bob

Posts: 1575 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:

It’s not broken, it’s just inertia overcoming the slide stop. It’s far more technique then mechanical. (Angle and force applied).

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
quote:

It’s not broken, it’s just inertia overcoming the slide stop. It’s far more technique then mechanical. (Angle and force applied).

This bears repeating.
As well as the fact it's not a designed feature.

S&W actually intentionally changed their slide stop assembly in the M&P 2.0 line to prevent this from happening. 1.0s are/were notorious for doing it - to the point I can auto-forward my M&P Pro without touching the gun (just bumping the side of my palm of my gun hand.) Mag in, mag out, didn't matter.

I've autoforwarded most pistols I own. Some are more prone to it than others.
Like cslinger said - it's physics - plain and simple.
Plus, the harder you reload, the more likely it is to happen. I was taught reload like you're trying to push the mag out the top of the gun. It's a hard habit to break. Wink

With that being said, I had to replace the slide stop & spring on my competition Beretta 92 because it was autoforwarding and occasionally doing it before the mag was seated (failing to pick up a round.)
However, the pistol has a lot of livefire and dryfire mileage on it. An inspection revealed the OEM stop was worn.

So outside of a high-mileage guns, the majority of the time autoforwarding is a result of physics.

I knew more than a few IDPA shooters who would rely on autoforwarding in matches. It worked most of the time, but when didn't autoforward when they expected it to - the results were comical. I saw more than one person keep pounding the bottom of the mag instead of just dropping the slide release.
When I shot M&Ps, I was equally prepared for it to do it - or not.

Posts: 12542 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I seem to remember a number of years ago hearing that the Beretta 92 could be easily made to do that.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16517 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Objects at rest tend to stay at rest. So when you push the frame forward, the slide wants to stay where it is. The slide catch is attached to the frame, so it moves with the frame and loses contact with the slide enough to drop out of the way. It’s not magic. I would think that heavy slides and lighter recoil springs would make this easier. But I’m no physicist.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rock185:
I guess the fellow in the video thought he had discovered something new, and needed to get it out on YouTube soon as possible? It's just that when the magazine is inserted forcefully, the pistol is jolted upwards, while the slide stop wants to maintain it's position in space. Newton's 1st. law stuff. Some on the internet apparently think when it happens it's either a cool design feature or a design or individual pistol defect. Guy must be new at this....
video is 2 years old

Posts: 9 | Registered: August 06, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
For anyone who thinks that a gun is broken and needs to be fixed if it can be induced to “autoforward” when a magazine is inserted forcefully enough and at the right angle, just exactly how is that accomplished? This armorer is curious because any “fix” I can imagine such as increasing recoil spring power would possibly cause malfunctions or make it more difficult to release the slide with the slide catch or by pulling and releasing it.

Something that I caution law enforcement officers about is that it’s not acceptable to transport AR-type rifles with loaded magazines and bolt carriers locked to the rear because a jolt to the gun will cause the bolt carrier to be released and chamber a round. The mechanical principles involved in that operation are exactly the same as when a pistol autoforwards when a magazine is inserted forcefully. With an AR it’s something I can make happen even by smacking the butt with my hand—and less forcefully than what’s required to drop the slide on a pistol. Are all those rifles broken?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Sig 1911's will do this "most" of the time even if not slammed. Most of my larger H&K's will do it most of the time. I would hate to have to count on it since it does not happen all the time.

__________________Making Good People Helpless . . . Will Not Make Bad People Harmless!___________________

Posts: 1731 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: May 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
"How" is big part of it. Most of my guns that will do it more often in a match, never do it in regular use.

Most of the polymer guns I've owned will do it fairly regularly. Some of the steel framed guns, often but not as often.

IMO the worst thing about it is an operator issue, if you come to expect it to do it and it doesn't. That's your fault.

I've seen people do that in matches, they slam the mag home and it doesn't drop. Rather than use the slide release, of sling shot the slide, they whack the mag base again. Sometimes taking multiple tries. That's just bad habits.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
My 226 legion will do it every time. Other pistols I can force it to do it some of the time. On my legion, I can actually count on it to do so.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
For anyone who thinks that a gun is broken and needs to be fixed if it can be induced to “autoforward” when a magazine is inserted forcefully enough and at the right angle, just exactly how is that accomplished? This armorer is curious because any “fix” I can imagine such as increasing recoil spring power would possibly cause malfunctions or make it more difficult to release the slide with the slide catch or by pulling and releasing it.

Something that I caution law enforcement officers about is that it’s not acceptable to transport AR-type rifles with loaded magazines and bolt carriers locked to the rear because a jolt to the gun will cause the bolt carrier to be released and chamber a round. The mechanical principles involved in that operation are exactly the same as when a pistol autoforwards when a magazine is inserted forcefully. With an AR it’s something I can make happen even by smacking the butt with my hand—and less forcefully than what’s required to drop the slide on a pistol. Are all those rifles broken?

Thanks! When I first originally did it accidentally I thought something might have been loose. That was actually the original reason I tried to contact Sig about it.

Posts: 9 | Registered: August 06, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post